Archinect
anchor

How can I get a right job?

windows98wh

I am a Chinese entry-level architect in Shanghai and look forward working in an international architectural firm.I have failed in some interviews because of my poor speaking English.Now I really need to work.But I think it is not right for me to work in Chinese environment again. So how can I get a right job now?

Dec 8, 10 6:19 am
med.

If you are trying to work in the US, your language ability is not the stubmling block, it's the fact that most American firms are reluctant right now to hire people who would need to be sponsored with an H1B Visa.

Dec 8, 10 11:56 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

med is correct about the current reluctance of most firms to embrace the complexities of working with an H1B candidate when there are so many qualified candidates available domestically. However, your language skills also present a hurdle that most firms are likely to weigh. Architecture is, after all, a team sport.

When hiring, any firm is going to rank order any pool of candidates according to the relative strengths and weaknesses they offer. It is only human nature to hire those with the most strengths and the fewest weaknesses.

Overwhelming design or technical credentials might oversome the language or visa hurdles, but only you can decide whether your capabilities are sufficiently strong to make this effort worthwhile.

Dec 8, 10 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Yet, number of job posts requiring fluent English and fluent Mandarin seem to be on a sharp increase.

My recommendation is for you to sharpen your English skills and go from there.

Dec 8, 10 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

not meant to be "hey, get out of my country"

but go back to China - They are the worlds best economy and are building EVERYTHING! I guess most designs ar done by international firms in the US but Im sure there are local firms doing the CD's and CA. That can help you get the experience and maybe even the english part since you would be communicating with the international firm from China while doing CD's and CA work. Then come back to the states and kick everyones ass! Good Luck!

Dec 8, 10 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
DavidBlackner

I agree with @wearethestones, China has surpassed the US as the strongest global economy, they are at the foremost of PM at this time. but if you are dead set on finding a paying project manager jobs in the US. Then check out this link, they have really useful insider information on everything from job availability to Salary and Benefits. Check it out and look to see if anything fits for you. Your English seems good enough (lord knows we've all worked with worse), but unfortunately, obtaining a work permit right now is a little bit tricky. Good luck, don't be afraid to intern, especially if you want to work on your language skills, and don't give up.
Davey

Dec 9, 10 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
parkerm

why don't you try getting a job at an international firm with an office in Shanghai? kpf, woods bagot, hok, etc etc

those places are usually half local chinese, half foreigners, so if your English isn't that good, at least there will be other chinese people to talk to. plus, it'll also give you a good chance to practice your English skills

Dec 10, 10 5:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: