Archinect
anchor

am i crazy?

AmeliaP

I'm a 27/f who graduated with a B.S. in Arch 3.5 years ago. I've been at a firm in Texas since I graduated and now make well over 45k a year plus full benefits. My job is great, it's a small arch firm inside a big engineering firm. We do higher education, industrial, and municipal work. Like my job, hate my city.

So here's my issue, I've planned on going away for school after finishing my IDP and it's that time. I'm looking at great schools far from my current city. The only school in my city is the one I attended for undergrad, and I really don't want to go there again. Am I crazy to leave this job I have now to go spend $80k on a grad degree to possibly graduate and make less than I am now?

Dec 6, 10 4:35 pm
AmeliaP

i'd really like to hear from anyone who left great jobs for grad school, but all responses are welcome.

Dec 6, 10 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

...we are just all envious of you...

if you are not planning to start a family or your own gig that will really tie you up to the place you don't like, I would say wait a 1.5 years: this way you will be in 5-7 years of experience range and will have more chances to make what you make now...

Dec 6, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
simcity

Don't know how much help this will be since I'm in the opposite boat in that I'm leaving grad school for a job. I should note that it is unrelated to architecture (as is my undergrad degree).

But, yes, I would have to say you are crazy. Don't do it. That you created a thread asking this already doubtful question hints your instincts are telling you not to.

If getting licensed is the issue (I don't know if you can with your degree) then it might be viable, but I would wait a few years. At the very least you will have more money saved away.

Dec 6, 10 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

I did it, worked for me and you will make more money. Basically all the same scenario except I didn't leave the region.

Plus we are towards the end of the recession, so by the time you get out making more than you are now is possible.

I did it to get unstuck or off track, to reset my goals in architecture, worth the risk.

Once you get a family forget grad school.

Dec 6, 10 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

The thing you left out in your original post was: why are you thinking about going back? what are your reasons

Dec 6, 10 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yes, what are the reasons? To learn Maya really well? To expand your theoretical bs skills? To focus on green??

But yes, I'd say you were crazy if you weren't going to get another degree (MBA/MRE) that will, at the very least, offer you a much more broad opportunity base for your future.

Just more education won't make you more valuable. You have experience, you have a professional degree. If you want to blow a ton of cash on "practicing" and "making pretty things", then by all means, but by all practical measures, crazy.

Just as a measure of reason: $1,197,956.63 is about what you'd have at retirement if you invested it. Yup, crazy!

Dec 6, 10 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

that investment figure is a moot point if you're talking about the 80k of school loans the poster would have.

Dec 6, 10 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

i have a pre-professional, so i have to get that masters to get licensed.

Dec 6, 10 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Go to grad school in Canada...

Dec 6, 10 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'll (partially) second doza's comment. Look at the situation from a practical viewpoint. Latest economy numbers indicate an actual recovery will take 5 more years. Seems (sadly) realistic. You want to exit school just about that time. Make it your goal to have an MArch by 2015 and work your way backwards. It sucks that you hate the city you're in. Maybe you need to make a better effort in finding like-minded friends? I found that the difference between being unhappy in a great city or being happy in a crappy one comes down to whom you spend your free time with. Even a Texas city should have some cool people in it.

Second point. Couple of commentators have mentioned you starting a family. You mentioned nothing of such. It's funny since you did mention you are a girl that a few immediately though "oooh, a baby machine"! More things change, more they stay the same.

Dec 6, 10 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Compared yourself to me.

Then ask yourself that question again. If you say 'yes,' ...

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
if I die before I wake,
I pray for God my soul to take.

Also, re:rustystuds...

You should take this Online Pregnancy Test to see if you're pregnant before starting Grad school.

Dec 7, 10 12:32 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

From your test unicorn:
"Unicorn, you're going to be the proud parent of a baby boy, and just look- isn't he just so damn cute! Based on our remote test results, your beautiful baby boy will weigh about 12 lbs, 6 oz and have brown hair and brown eyes."

12lbs

12lbs??

I think unicorn got raped by an elephant.

Dec 7, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I was 10 lbs 12 oz and non-Cesarean.

I WRECKED THAT SHIT.

Dec 7, 10 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I'm having an 8lb 7oz girl with the mailman.

As an aside...in this profession we are all crazy, but if you aren't happy make a change.

Dec 7, 10 12:41 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

"I graduated and now make well over 45k a year plus full benefits"

I know having a 4 yr diploma is a stigma, but trust me you are in a very good position, you have options.

you could:
sit for the exams without a Professional March, when you gain a few more years of experience check with your state.

Keep your job, be patient, wait and see what happens in the next couple of years, then go to college.

giving up a job that pays you close to 50k a year with full benefits at this particular time in the economy, that has totally decimated architects in every state, would be irrational think with your head not your heart.

Right now i feel like one of the lucky ones because im getting interviews, for jobs with No benefits, Temporary, and with the constant threat that they can fire me if they don't like me for whatever reason.

College is not going anywhere, be patient and work.

good luck

Dec 7, 10 3:12 am  · 
 · 
beekay31

i have a pre-professional, so i have to get that masters to get licensed .

IL (ARE completed by 2014) & CO are two I know of that don't require the professional degree. I think NY might even not require one. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong. Once you earn your license, you may be able to gain licensure in other states, depends on the state.

Dec 7, 10 4:18 am  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

Don't go to graduate school yet. Give it at least two more years to decide, and find where life takes you. Bide your time, and save your money. Graduate school will not increase your earning capacity - but will cost you plenty, cash for school expenses and opportunity-cost for your absence from job market. And unless your ultimate goal is to open your own small office, architectural registration is not mandatory for career advancement. Despite "hating" your current location, you are earning a very good salary for your experience/location, and likely strengthening professional skills and making contacts. Graduate school is mostly an expensive intellectual exercise in non-reality, unless you obtain an MBA or MRE, and MArch won't make you more hireable or promoteable - just perhaps "licensable".

In the old days, you could sit for a state's licensing exam even if you had residency elsewhere. A friend sat for the Illinois exam even though he lived and worked in Connecticut; he passed and then applied for reciprocacity. Check that option too, for states that allow a BS for license exam qualification.

Try to address your dissatisfaction with your current location, and focus on improving those circumstances. As I noted in another thread, GSD is now advising in its current alumni fund-raising letter that its graduates are averaging $61,000 in DEBT and $48,000/year in initial salary (and likely for a NYC position, not Texas) - to be saddled with that kind of debt for such earning prospects is not sufficient motivation to go to graduate school for most BS/BArch grads, with exception of those with families willing to front-fund their MArch experience.

Dec 7, 10 8:30 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i disagree with most here - go back to graduate school. you seem to have established a good plan for yourself that you've stuck to. you've completed your idp and are basically stuck where you are until you complete your professional degree. finish up your degree in two years, knock off the ARE in a summer and be licensed by 30. being registered will make a significant difference in your pay from being an unlicensed intern. with your license, you should be able to make $55,000-60,000 and the economy should be picking up enough in the next 2-3 years to be able to find a job after graduating. if you are worried about student loan debt, factor it into your school decision. is scholarship money available? would you be satisfied with an m.arch from a state school rather than a private school?

from your post, you seem to have enough command of your own life to make an intelligent plan and carry it out. don't stop now.

Dec 7, 10 8:47 am  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

In 30 years of working, I've yet to find an office that pays a premium for a "licensed" architect as an employee. Registration completion is a personal goal, but not a professional achievement rewarded by additional pay by an architectural office. It would be nice if there was a sizable compensation bump, but it doesn't occur. Some firms may give a small bonus, many may pay your AIA dues.

No employee who is not a partner should stamp drawings anyways.

Dec 7, 10 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Cxtha8kL

You aren't crazy, but you may regret leaving now.

There are a LOT of experienced people who cannot get work, and there are no guarantees about the economy.

Of the two, which would be worse? Staying in your present job, or finding yourself out of work and 80K in debt, with an MS degree?

Dec 16, 10 3:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: