Archinect
anchor

AIA backs House Resolution to Honor Andrea Palladio

SeaArch

As our profession crashes and burns it is nice to know the AIA is busy doing productive things to help like this.....

House Honors Andrea Palladio

The House approved a resolution backed by the AIA last week to honor architect Andrea Palladio. The resolution, authored by Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ), honors the 500th anniversary of Palladio’s birth in 2008. It notes that “Palladio's designs for public works, churches, mansions, and villas rank among the most outstanding architectural achievements of the Italian Renaissance,” and that his Four Books of Architecture “rank as the most influential publication on architecture ever produced and has shaped much of the architectural image of Western civilization.”

Dec 3, 10 12:44 pm
digger

and what would you have the AIA do with the total of about 5-minutes of time they invested in this particular initiative ?

why must everything positive always get turned into a cynical negative here on archinect ?

Dec 3, 10 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
IHATEMARXISTS

Actually, it might be the first sign that the profession is beginnign the long, difficult road of pulling its head out of its own arse.

But I wouldn't expect 99.75% of those reading this post right now to have even the slightest clue what I mean (zombieification by marxism, anyone?) so I'll stop there for now.

Dec 3, 10 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
IHATEMARXISTS

The road is thorny and long (probably at a miminum of 10 years before things begin to even look brighter).

Dec 3, 10 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
IHATEMARXISTS

"why must everything positive always get turned into a cynical negative here on archinect ?"

What do you expect when, from the cradle to the capstone thesis, the contemporary architect has been molded in the image of Karl Marx? I.e. Deconstruction, Critical Theory et al.

Numbskulls and lemmings. Its the darker side of human nature to seek the downhill path I suppose (easier in the short run).

Dec 3, 10 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
SeaArch

What is the point of wasting the AIA's time and the Congress on something so silly...the 500th anniversary happened in 2008...two years ago. This resolution happened two weeks ago. Don't you think they have better things to do????

Dec 3, 10 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

"When communist artisans associate with one another, theory, propaganda, etc., is their first end. But at the same time, as a result of this association, they acquire a new need — the need for society — and what appears as a means becomes an end. ... the brotherhood of man is no mere phrase with them, but a fact of life, and the nobility of man shines upon us from their work-hardened bodies."

Marx, Human Needs & the division of Labour

Hum. Karl Marx is decidedly against modernism!.

Dec 3, 10 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

funny

mr decon himself (yeah, eisenman)
has probably been one of the most vocal advocates of the continued study of palladio . . .

Dec 3, 10 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

if they are going to celebrate guys who laid the foundation for architects as we understand it today, They must add "Filippo Brunelleschi", and even put him ahead of Palladio.

Dec 4, 10 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: