Archinect
anchor

Does anyone sketch digitally?

Distant Unicorn

So, do you?

Wacom? Mouse? Even tracing-- assisted or old-fashioned?

I've been drawing a lot in Illustrator. Even though the "Art Brushes" come off as nearly "Photoshop filtering," I still like em.

I also like warp tool for adjusting lines. Sometimes, I'll make a really good line but it won't be exactly where I want it... and then I can just nudge it over or change it slightly.

I do like paper but my options are limited to things you can buy at Target. And not to be a snob... but a decent pencil and a nice piece of paper do make drawing easier.

Nov 26, 10 10:32 pm
SDR

"then I can just nudge it over or change it slightly"

That's a good enough reason right there.

Don't you wish you could draw a free line (with a stylus) right on your screen -- and then modify it with the tools ?

Nov 26, 10 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I use to have a convertible tablet laptop (it got stolen).

Other than it being far overpowered for its tiny screen (11"?), it was boiling hot. So, it didn't have the functionality that you might expect from something suppose to resemble a sketchbook.

The other gripe was that the input resolution was not really similar to screen resolution... so it was difficult to get the line work to match what I was doing visually. That and it was a "first generation." It lacked pressure sensitive controls.

Albeit... I have used tablets with this feature and I've found it annoying. The primary reason I found it annoying is that I have problems with pressure. When I write, it is either all or nothing. I like grinding into the paper. So, purely personal preference on my part.

I think another, possibly gross, feature I like about sketching in illustrator is that I can draw objects, group them and then adjust the scale. This makes it far easier to get a good perspective slash trompe l'oiel when doing more scenic or landscape sketches.

Nov 27, 10 12:04 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

the intuous4 medium is awesome.. and i still suck at it.
still, working directly in digital saves alot of time over drawing and scanning.

the new cs5 allows you to paint sketches as well, which i'm having fun with at the moment.

if you buy an intuous, don't go larger than medium. I bought large and handed it back for the medium in a day. Med also fits in my laptop bag.

Nov 27, 10 1:45 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

On a related note, does the iPad (or even iPhone/androids) have a very good app for sketching?

The ones I've used are very basic and low res.. but even then, drawing on a touchscreen with your fingers is pretty sweet. I sketched at least 50 portraits of stranges on the subway in like a month... they thought I was texting.

Nov 29, 10 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I use a Cintiq and it rocks--can't/won't go back to using photoshop without it

Nov 29, 10 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

damn that looks good.

Nov 30, 10 11:16 am  · 
 · 

I used to draw quite a bit on my lenovo x61 tablet, w/ Corel Draw... One thing that was great about it was that you could zoom in infinitely into a drawing, so you get all these scales happening, drawings inside of drawings, etc.

This one is a sample I did for studio in spring 08.

...but I have to say, nothing compares to the feel of a pen on paper. For drawings intended to be on a blank page, you may as well use real paper.

Nov 30, 10 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Larger Size

All mouse.

Too old fashioned?

Dec 2, 10 3:45 am  · 
 · 
ggrgr

looks good..I would rather use my hand though

Dec 2, 10 6:28 am  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

Adobe Sketchbook Pro is great on the iPad FYI.

Dec 2, 10 7:50 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i am in the process of transitioning to digital sketching with an intuos medium + illustrator + photoshop + modo --- it has taken a little getting used to but I had a breakthrough moment recently and am so glad i began moving in this direction --- it is great to have sketches as malleable, to not have to scan in, or to cut and paste and stretch scans  with limits on scaling, or to have an infinite color palette and brush types without carrying around lots of pens/markers/pencils --- i still hand sketch but only very quick to just start the thought process if i am not near the intuos

Jun 21, 11 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: