Archinect
anchor

Getting a job in US during and after grad school

CS_B

Hello,

I am planning to go to US for grad school. I am Canadian. Are there jobs for canadians in the states?

would it be very hard to get jobs because im canadian?

please comment and share your experience...! 

Jun 17, 11 7:01 pm
Milwaukee08

Hello,

First off, if you graduate with the skills and experience employers are looking for, and if the economy has recovered some, I don't think it will matter what country you're from.

But, just to warn you, there are tons of college grads here in the US that can't find jobs they can live on, so I wouldn't guess being Canadian would make any difference (assuming you have whatever permits you'd need to work in the States), the problem is that you'll have a lot of competition in a terrible economy.  Who knows, I could be wrong.

Jun 17, 11 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I had a friend in my first grad degree program many years ago who was Canadian, and at the time he told me that a Canadian who completed a degree in the US could get a 1 year work permit as an extension of their student visa to gain professional experience in the field they had studied in. (he was also a liar, so i don't know if this is true.)

Jun 17, 11 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

These days, I think finding a good job will be a bigger hinderance than being a Canadian citizen. As a recognized NAFTA member professional (assuming either a valid degree or provincial licensure), the visa should be quite straight-forward. Certainly none of this one year after degree business.

It's called a TN visa. http://www.tnvisalawyers.com/tn_visa_eligibility.shtml

Unless things have recently changed, there's n o limit on the total number of years a person can remain in the U.S. in TN status, plus there is no Labor Certification requirement (proof that the applicant is not taking a job away from a qualified U.S. worker). 

...As for the question of it being hard to get a job as a Canadian... I'd say no harder than getting a job as an American. Of course, you might run into some partners/ (or whomever is doing the hiring) that's never heard of your school, but on the other hand, universities like Toronto, McGill, etc. are probably just as recognizable as many state-schools. 

Jun 18, 11 4:04 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

My office (HQ of a national firm) has a preference for Waterloo out of all the canadian schools, and frequently hires from there.

Like anything else, it depends on who and what you know.

Jun 18, 11 10:16 am  · 
 · 
CS_B

thank you guys! thank you for insightful comments..

Jun 21, 11 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
CS_B

yes waterloo has a really good undergraduate degree. however, U of T also has a strong bachelor program although it is not a professional degree anymore

Jun 21, 11 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: