Archinect
anchor

back to old job or go for new

After a long unemployment I finally found a job. Quite interesting, small firm. The only problem is the commute that is about one hour.
By coincidence, at the same time, I received a call by my old employer offering me to come back. I was fired from this job for lack of work. They are much closer, about 20 minutes. The paycheck is about the same. I am not sure I want to go back to my old office. I am afraid that if hard times come they will let me go again.
What would you do?

Nov 15, 10 11:14 pm
noneother3

Pretty tough. I would weigh which firm is better for my overall career. An hour commute is actually not so bad. Consider that your old firm will lay you off in 3 months and your new firm will lay you off in a year. Hopefully in that year you market your self correctly and land a solid job with great opportunities. Every architect has to take great measures now to ensure their success.Good luck I'm rooting for ya.

Nov 16, 10 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Think of that long unemployment. The pain. The fear. The anger. The syphilis.

Now think of that boy / girl / man / woman / priest / sheep (for NZ's in here) that broke your heart really badly. Only to come back to you a year later and finish the job of humiliating you.

Now think of Ronald Regan. Did he go back to acting? No! He had a new gig and a country to destroy.

Now look down. Back at the screen. I have a taco for you. Close your eyes. Open them. You are sitting on a toilet. Lesson learned?

Only YOU have the power to answer your own question.

Nov 16, 10 12:27 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

"An hour commute is actually not so bad."

Bwahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha.

I CAN HEAR THE POLAR BEARS DROWNING IN THEIR OWN TEARS.

Over the course of the next 10 years working at this job, you will waste approximately 216 days of your life commuting. That is approximately 83% of a standard salaried work year.

Add in 55 cents a mile (I'd gamble 25 miles each way), You'll also spend $71,500 commuting.

Add in the 83% of a work year-- assuming you make $45,000 a year-- you're losing for the hour long commute... that's about $37,000.

In total, commuting will cost you around $108,000.

Not to mention the horrible destruction to environment, your driving preferences nailing the coffin in on Euclidean zoning... and the countless black, hispanic, poor, white, children, elderly and young peoples lives you're damaging through your reckless personal choices.

Nov 16, 10 1:14 am  · 
 · 
binary

if the old firm FIRED you....then move on.....if you were layed off then thats a different story..... go where you like the work..... and office life...having a shit job sucks...just sayin'

Nov 16, 10 3:49 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I have a firm policy to never look go back to work for a former employer. My last office laid me off for lack of work too, but I know that they were well aware that I thought they were all a bunch of amateurs, and I was so happy the day they laid me off, still am happy.

Guess you have to ask yourself how much have you grown as a professional, and do you want to go back to work at an office you may have outgrown in terms of your own ambitions, or goals?

For me it would be like going back in time and I don't like to look back the only day that matters is today you know what I mean?

Nov 16, 10 4:19 am  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

Unicorn, 1 hour of commute = 1 hour of reading ...

never look back - they let you go once, they will let you go again...

Nov 16, 10 7:22 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams
never look back - they let you go once, they will let you go again...

i tend to believe this is true.

in terms of the commute, is it by train or car? there was a time in my life that a one hour drive would have been a dealbreaker, but i've come to really enjoy driving. it's some of the only alone time i get during the day and allows me time to listen to npr or music. i guess it depends on your outlook on the commute. some deal better with it than others.

also, having now driven a number of cars, my attitude about driving has a lot to do with the car i am driving. driving my loud bumpy subaru wagon or my tin can ford focus was a chore. driving my vw passat is a pleasure (a v6 is a must; i can never go back to an underpowered 4-cylinder.). a better car can make for a much better driving experience.

Nov 16, 10 9:03 am  · 
 · 
med.

Go to the new place.

You already know what your old firm is capable of. And don't think they won't do it again because I've known people who have gotten laid off multiple times from the same firm.

With the new firm, I would try to negotiate a higher pay because of the commute. Like + $5000 more. Then at least it wouln't even be a question.

Nov 16, 10 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

I agree with Won.If you travel with public transportation you can read,if you drive you can relax and listen to music during your trip.I love driving too and it gave me time to wake up and relax before I went to work.

About your question..choose the new place. It'd give me satisfaction to reject my ex boss.

Nov 16, 10 11:19 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

Put the layoff and the commute aside and figure out which firm you would prefer to work for based on what is important to you.

If you decide to go back to your old firm you may want to have a frank discussion with your old boss about the stability of the firm. If you decide to go with the new firm will the commute become a burden at some point. Is a move closer to the new firm a possibility?

Nov 16, 10 11:46 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

I'm with unicorn.

Especially if you drive.

If you take the train, it is still a lot of extra time. Yes, you could read if you wanted to but I'd rather I was sitting in my own house reading vs. on a train.

Nov 16, 10 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

Who's to say the new firm won't lose work and lay you off as well?

Architecture firms by their very nature must be flexible and adaptable. It's a bit like having a Hollywood production firm. If you have a movie, you have a company. If you don't have a movie, you don't have a company.

If the commute is your main decision point, [notwithstanding things like office culture, design sensibility, ethical mandate, pay rate, chance to move up professionally, etc etc] then take the close one.

Nov 16, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

build your contacts and open a new relationship with the new office. if you have the time and energy, you can offer to do contract work on the side with the old office...whatever...just try to know a lot of people in the business.

Nov 16, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'm surprised noone has suggested "just fucking move closer to yar work" yet.

lucad: which city do you live in?

Nov 16, 10 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
LucaD

Thank you for the very thoughtful responses.
I am in NYC, and I will have to commute by train. I actually just found out that my old company is in much worst shape then when I left. I think I will focus on the new working experience and try to do something useful while on the train.
Thanks everyone.

Nov 16, 10 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Yay to archinect solving another case!

Best episode ever.

Nov 16, 10 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: