Archinect
anchor

When people ask for a 'work sample'...

TheMasterBuilder

When you answer an ad and the ad asks for a sample of your work, what is an appropriate amount of work to send?

I've been told to keep the file size to less then 5MB, but I'd like to know what exactly I should send.

Nov 8, 10 4:16 pm
poop876

Depends on the position you are applying for! Sometimes its good to show them variety of work (size of projects etc.). Sometimes it's good to show off all your skills (renderings, sketches). Some firms don't care if you can render, because they want you to be able to put a building together as opposed to do pretty images.

When I was applying I usually had a project list attached and a sheet of pictures of those projects that were built.

Nov 8, 10 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

I'd say 2–5 pages of work is what I expect out of a work sample. Show the projects you think they'd relate the most to (whether the reaction is "hey, he's done schools before, great!" or "wow that style looks really similar to what we do, he'd fit right in!", the idea is still relatability). You don't have to try to tell the whole story of a project in this, rather it's an opportunity for you to show them something pretty but vague that they can ask questions about and get a conversation started.

Nov 8, 10 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

send a physical model with your contact info attached...bound to make some sort of impression

Nov 8, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

forget a model, send an expensive bottle of scotch and a prostitute. That is bound to make an impression.

Nov 8, 10 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

If only I had the money to do either. I've jokingly suggested to friends that they rent out the goodyear blimp and blanket Manhattan with resume's.

Nov 8, 10 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

just send a stool sample

Nov 8, 10 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
evelynz8735

Depends on the position you are applying for! Sometimes its good to show them variety of work (size of projects etc.). Sometimes it's good to show off all your skills (renderings, sketches). Some firms don't care if you can render, because they want you to be able to put a building together as opposed to do pretty images.

When I was applying I usually had a project list attached and a sheet of pictures of those projects that were built.

Nov 8, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Fuck you 8735!

Nov 8, 10 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
Nov 8, 10 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

unicorn ftw

Nov 9, 10 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Can I get a job now?

Nov 11, 10 3:13 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

NO, you need to work on the accuracy of your urine driplets.
Should splatter on the architecture a lil.

Nov 11, 10 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You forgot something unicorn.

Nov 11, 10 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

unicorn - impressive portfolio! hired! $100k /year is yours!

Nov 11, 10 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
hapipuppy

anyone would like to share the work samples?

Mar 23, 11 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: