Archinect
anchor

Im ready to work

awkeytect

Graduated with a 5 year arch degree in may.
Interned abroad in a wonderful office until I couldnt afford it anymore... (yes, one of those)

Now Im back.
Im ready for a real job now.
Just figured Id let everyone know I was available.

Call me

Nov 7, 10 11:05 pm
Cherith Cutestory

get in line.

Nov 7, 10 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

Seriously, the line starts behind me.

Oh, and FYI, don't bring up the study abroad unless the interviewer asks about it. It turns out that no one cares about why you went to Italy, or what you did there. I learned that the hard way.

And how is anyone supposed to call you?

Nov 7, 10 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
Nov 8, 10 12:21 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I have 10+ years professional experience on your having graduated in May...aint got me a job

Nov 8, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
awkeytect

sweet unicorn.

...and someone else has 15+years experience, while someone else has 20+, yeah I get it.

Fortunately, the fact that there are other humans older than myself does not trouble me. I'll be the 'clutter' in your line who passed on quitting.

Nov 8, 10 1:36 am  · 
 · 

awkeytect, what was your 5-year BArch like, did you get much technical knowledge (drawing sets, HVAC, code, office practice)? And how did your school learning compare to your experience in a firm abroad, what did you learn there?

Just curious.

Nov 8, 10 8:53 am  · 
 · 
remus + romulus

awkey.. if you want keep a positive outlook, stay away from this website. And there's always going to be someone with more experience. It doesn't always mean they'll get a job first. Notice I say A job, not THE job.

Nov 8, 10 9:48 am  · 
 · 
med.

It's exactly why I never studied abroad... Because I knew no one would care about it.

Nov 8, 10 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Working and studying abroad (wherever you come from), is more and more important as the world is getting more globalized.

However, that 6-month internship at OMA may not land you a job in a practice in Iowa doing McMansions. But do you really want to do that?

Nov 8, 10 10:58 am  · 
 · 
vikrum

you forgot the leave your number.

Nov 8, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
med.

Working abroad at a place like OMA is much different than studying abroad.

Having that on your resume will definitely raise some eyebrows in a good way!

Nov 8, 10 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
awkeytect

Hawkin - I agree on the studying abroad. I grew up overseas, so the seeing new places and cultures is something I do out of a personal desire and not to impress someone by printing it on my resume.
and negative on the McMansions... and Iowa, I think.

Donna: I'd like to think my undergrad was pretty well-rounded, but I don't have anything to compare it to obviously. For the times when I felt I wasn't getting what I needed in studio our library always provided more than enough. Im one of those who believes we can only get out what we put in, so the answers to the questions were only as good as the questions I was asking at the time.
The internship was certainly different than any I've had stateside. (In a good way) But it was a design office so it felt very similar to an academic studio enviro. The main difference was that the overused critique of 'you could never do that in the real world' often heard in school didnt apply because this was the real world - and they were managing just fine.

Nov 8, 10 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: