Archinect
anchor

dropping out of grad school

simcity

... anyone done it? I've been in grad school for almost a year now (started spring semester) but it's time for me to jump ship. The school I've been at has been great, the professors have been great, and it's a small school so I want to let them know I'm leaving instead of just not enrolling for next semester.

how do I tell my professors and graduate counselor, "I will always love architecture but am wise enough to see the economy is going to be fucked for a long time even though everyone is telling me it will be fine by the time I graduate," "Listening to my classmates' stupid, masturbatory ideas on a daily basis has sent me into a total misanthropic depression," and "I've got a job lined up that will get me out of architecture forever" without coming across as an ungrateful dick?

just looking for any suggestions from people who have had experience with this. thanks.

Oct 30, 10 9:38 pm
greyvsgray

if you hate school, then you just might love the profession. you're close to being done, think it over.

Oct 30, 10 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

finish the degree, get an MBA, go back into a field related to your undergraduate (assuming it's not architecture) and hope it works out. then you can help the businesses make nicer powerpoints and business cards and portfolios.

Oct 30, 10 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I stuck it out, made sure to enroll in classes that woudl benefit me later on (basically, I took as many classes as I could outside of architecture - re development, business, graphics, etc.).

I'd probably just stick it out, depending on the potential of this job you mention. If it'll give you the knowledge to propel a career, then it is a no brainer (which we assume, as you aren't asking whether you should leave or not).

If you are 100% sure, I wouldn't worry about sounding like an ass. Just tell it like it is - you appreciate everyone and the experience, but you are aware of the reality out there and you've been given a unique opportunity. They'll get it.

Don't burn bridges, it is never worth it. So as long as you are 'nice', they'll respect you for pursuing what you want (vs. just dropping).

What is the job?? We all want to know!

Oct 30, 10 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
simcity

I didn't mention this but it's one of the three year programs so I've got two more years of school.

The job I've got lined up is a mix of database design and web development- an entry level job but with a really big company, not some Mcdonald's gig.
I've pretty much made up my mind but I'll think it over a little longer to be sure.

Thanks for the responses everyone, they're definitely helpful.

Oct 30, 10 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I envy you simcity.If I were you I'd definitely take the database design and web development job,it is the field I'm actually trying to switch to.

If you're hesitating you should definitely quit grad school.Grad school is really hard and architecture is not for people who hesitate,it is a field where people so blindly and fiercely work to stay in.I'm sure the school is costing you a lot so it is a matter of money above everything else.I wish you luck with your new job.I'm really jealous. ;)

Oct 31, 10 12:00 am  · 
 · 
erjonsn

perhaps ask for a leave of absence, test the waters, make sure you don't regret the decision in 4-8 months? i'm not trying to sucker you into architecture.... by all means there are too many of us!

Oct 31, 10 12:32 am  · 
 · 
paulo.knocks

I went through something similar at the beginning of my graduate education. I made an appointment with the director of the school, was honest, asked for a years deferral so I could pursue a job offer and bank some cash to relieve growing student debt. The whole situation turned out an ideal as I could have hoped, even if I hadn't gone back to school I would have still explained myself at least to the dean or director... maybe not all your professors.

Oct 31, 10 2:22 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I would assume even if you leave they would let you back in if you decide later to finish your degree, I mean they accepted you in the first place right, and I'm assuming you did ok your first year.

Just be like, hey, given the wild up and down nature of the construction industry, and the difficult times people are having getting decent paying jobs even with an M. Arch, I feel I need to take this opportunity now.

If nothing else, if you do decide to go back later on, at least you'll have some experience in another field when the economy tanks again.

Oct 31, 10 3:01 am  · 
 · 
trace™

simcity - that certainly is a growing field (depending on the technology)

Personally, programming is a little too dry for me (I am a sucker for pretty things!), but it is also something that I pay my programmers quire well for!

Learn lots, get very good and you can have a very secure and flexible future!

Oct 31, 10 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

hey simcity,
i dropped out of grad school (not an arch program, a phd) and really haven't regretted it at all. i went the take a leave of absence for a semester, go back, hate it, another leave, etc, but that really just dragged it out. i also just sort of stopped registering and moved to a different city before i withdrew (wouldn't recommend that, either)

it does sound like you have several valid reasons, and have been thinking about it. if you know that this decision is right for you, you should just do it.

really, i think that having an m. arch isn't so much of an asset in fields so far removed from arch (people always ask me what an MArch is). also, don't worry about faculty members in your program-just tell them-they'll understand! people decide to stick it out for a bunch of reasons, usually the wrong ones! and regret it.

i also highly recommend reading _so what are you going to do with that_ (by susan basalla and maggie debelius). though it's very much geared towards those leaving phd programs, i think it would still be highly resonant for you. also, it's a quick and entertaining read, and could help you articulate your plans to profs/fellow student as well as to yourself

Oct 31, 10 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
simcity

yeah, if I ask for a leave of absence it couldn't hurt, although I'm still pretty sure about my decision. I've been itching to get back into programming anyways...

thanks again for the insightful responses, it's good to hear varied ideas!

Oct 31, 10 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Yeah take a leave of absence and think it over and try out the new job... Easy!

Nov 1, 10 12:22 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

Try to get a degree in boring as hell green energy architecture if you want to stay close to profession and still get a job...

Nov 1, 10 5:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: