Archinect
anchor

Business/Arch Jobs

mtay52

I hold two majors, a business and a graphic arts degree. I want to work in a design firm, preferably on the business side, but am struggling to find job postings for design and arch. companies that aren't simply for a graphic design or architect. I'm assuming there are opportunities at larger companies for someone with my background. Any ideas where I should be looking (job boards etc.)

Thanks.

P.S. I prefer to be in a large city in the U.S. or Europe.

Oct 4, 10 6:46 pm
mtay52

Sorry,

Just an FYI... Architecture is just a passion of mine, though I don't want to be a production architect, I would love to be around the culture etc. That is why I am looking.

Thanks.

Oct 4, 10 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
mtay52

please?

Oct 5, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

If I were you I'd use that graphic arts degree and be searching for marketing jobs at large firms.

Just because you have a business degree doesn't mean you know the "business of Architecture" and likely nobody, especially in this economy, would hire you to run the "business."

That's my 2 cents.

Oct 5, 10 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
mtay52

thanks, i definitely know I wouldnt be running any businesses. I just wonder if larger firms have any roles where my background might get me in the door and into a position where I could learn the business.

Oct 5, 10 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
outed

i'd think a more multi-disciplinary firm like pentagram, ideo, etc. would be the kind of gig you're after. very hard to break into, but they would have that cross-over vibe.

Oct 5, 10 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
walldrug

I agree with aquapura, perhaps a marketing coordinator position is best. Depending on the nature of the job, this could definitely combine both your graphic and business sides. If you work hard and perform well there is tremendous growth potential in such a position.

Oct 6, 10 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

The professional group for architecture marketers is called SMPS - they might have a job board. People I know who do what you want to do started out cranking our proposals (marketing coordinator) and grew into a management role.

Here is a listing for you: AIA-sf job board

Oct 6, 10 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

OMA usually has some job openings for their "business development"-department. That sounds like something that could be interesting to you - either for their Rotterdam or New York base...

Oct 6, 10 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
mtay52

thanks all, there is some good information here! working in business development at a place like oma sounds like a dream, but im sure a very hard job to get as well...

Oct 6, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

mtay52 - there are a number of marketing and business-related positions on our job board:
www.archinect.com/jobs

try searching for "marketing" or "business"

Oct 6, 10 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: