Archinect
anchor

Penn Design or Columbia GSAPP

pc21

With Penn's progressive approach towards parametric design and Columbia's long standing reputation as the first to do it. Which school is better?

Sep 28, 10 2:05 am
metal

vanilla vs strawberry ice cream

Sep 28, 10 4:44 am  · 
 · 
CMNDCTRL

seriously? again? this has been done to death....

Sep 28, 10 10:25 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

neither they both suck

Sep 28, 10 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
pc21

Columbia has a strong arts program overall, which gives their architecture students more exposure to the art and publication scene in new york, as well as connections to more top notch firms. Although the design aspect at Columbia is not as strong as an emphasis at Penn. Penn has a great program but what they lack is exposure, which leads to not as well known professors and lower caliber students. what do you guys think? (besides ice cream choices and sarcastic comments)

Sep 28, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
pc21

Columbia has a strong arts program overall, which gives their architecture students more exposure to the art and publication scene in new york, as well as connections to more top notch firms. Although the design aspect at Columbia is not as strong as an emphasis at Penn. Penn has a great program but what they lack is exposure, which leads to not as well known professors and lower caliber students. what do you guys think? (besides ice cream choices and sarcastic comments)

Sep 28, 10 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
orion

When you say parametric design what exactly do you mean?

Anyone can learn Revit and Grasshopper and scripting is only a tool and a part of the over all design and building process. You can't script an entire building, nor will it ever entirely parametric in that sooner or later you will have to detail and assemble the thing.

Sep 28, 10 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
pc21

Although just starting to learn about parametric, I think it is a method of thinking rather than references to software. Computer programs will continuously evolve but the ideas of design logic behind parametric is emerging to be a strong driver in design. You have a good point in saying that anyone can learn a software but when it comes to a method in approaching architecture, it is a different issue. Thats why I posted this thread in question of whether Penn or Columbia has a better way of teaching parametric that actually translates into architecture.

Sep 28, 10 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
CMNDCTRL

they are not the only schools teaching parametricism. GSD, MIT, etc....is this to CHOOSE a school you got into? or are you just speculating about these schools? this does not seem very useful if it is just to blindly talk about teaching style. sure, schools tend to have a tendency, but the curriculum is really a product of the faculty. if you are choosing, good luck. if not, i am not sure what this is for....it is like choosing the numbers 2 and 119 and saying let's talk about them with no recognition of anything that comes in between...add that to the fact that these topics are incessant on this site.....and THAT is a recipe for sarcastic comments.

Sep 29, 10 9:16 am  · 
 · 
pc21

penn and columbia, at least to me, are more similar in their reputation, teachings and professors. I would actually like to hear from students from penn or columbia or have experience from similar schools. This thread is really more informative for people who are apply for schools this coming year. I haven't found any direct comparison between these two schools so if you have found another thread that discuss the same thing, please let me know.

Sep 29, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 
pc21

penn and columbia, at least to me, are more similar in their reputation, teachings and professors. I would actually like to hear from students from penn or columbia or have experience from similar schools. This thread is really more informative for people who are apply for schools this coming year. I haven't found any direct comparison between these two schools so if you have found another thread that discuss the same thing, please let me know.

Sep 29, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Oct 1, 10 4:13 am  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

for good measure

Oct 1, 10 4:13 am  · 
 · 
doctorzaius

Since students who graduated from Penn and Columbia's programs are mutually exclusive, you won't find a direct comparison...

Oct 1, 10 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
wally21

I suppose that I can give something close to a direct comparison, as I attended both Columbia's NY/Paris prog and Penn's M.Arch I prog.

Here's the short of it: Columbia seemed good, but Penn was better (for me).

Having that NY experience was great, though my immersion was limited due to the constant pressures of studio, and overall I'm glad that I attended the NY/P program. I know that I didn't have the full Columbia M.Arch experience, but from what I saw when I was there and from what I was told by friends in Columbia's M.Arch prog, two differences stick out.

1. Columbia may have been one of the first to use digital , 3D design methods, but they haven't necessarily advanced the use of such design w/i architecture. Penn does a better job of teaching more design fundamentals and integrating them into a digital design approach.

2. Columbia may have some big name profs, but that doesn't make them more effective design educators.

Curriculum comparisons between Penn and Columbia showed that Penn is more interested in teaching fundamentals like construction technology. This can lead some to think that Penn is a bit behind, but I think that it ultimately it leads to more complete understanding of what design is. This is especially important as fabrication technologies are starting to change the architect's role in the design process (albeit slowly).

As for profs., I found most of my Penn profs to be great at pushing me to be a better designer and teaching me how to graphically convey my ideas. They weren't all gems (in fact, the worst prof that I had there was a recent graduate of Columbia), but overall, they were a good bunch. I had some good profs at Columbia too, but I also saw (and heard) a lot of flash without much substance.

Finally, I take issue with the "lower caliber of students" at Penn remark. I had some great classmates, and I was accepted by Columbia but declined in favor of Penn.

Perceptions out there don't always match the reality.

Jan 16, 11 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: