Archinect
anchor

yourWeekly random -A Pattern Language: #1

olaf design ninja

I. Independent Regions

Metropolitan regions will not come to balance until each one is small and autonomous enough to be an indepedent sphere of culture.

(from A Pattern Language - Christopher Alexander, Sara Ishikawa, Murray Silverstein, Max Jacobson, Ingrid Fiksdahl-King, Shlomo Angel)

Sep 21, 10 12:12 am
metal

christopher alexander likes to think so clearly it frustrates me

Sep 21, 10 12:51 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

2. The Distribution of Towns

If the population of a region is weighted too far toward small villages, modern civilization can never emerge; but if the population is weighted too far toward big cities, the earth will go to ruin because the population isn't where it needs to be, to take care of it.

young grasshopper...

Sep 22, 10 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

old people everywhere

Sep 23, 10 1:46 am  · 
 · 
mdler

community cock ring

for cock fighting, of course

Sep 23, 10 1:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler

speaking of patterns, Im gonna get me some of these pants with lobsters on them...pretty fly for a white guy!!!

Sep 23, 10 1:49 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Seersucker in seattle?!

That's ballsy!

Sep 23, 10 2:03 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

#177 - In a healthy town every family can grow vegetables for itself. The time is past to think of this as a hobby for enthusiast; it is a fundamental part of human life.

Sep 27, 10 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

In every great city, the city is more important than the building.

Sep 28, 10 1:52 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

#119 Arcades - covered walkways at the edge of buildings, which are partly inside, partly outside - play a vital role in the way that people interact with buildings.

Sep 29, 10 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

#110 - Main Entrance - Placing the main entrance (or main entrances) is perhaps the single most important step you take during the eveolution of a building plan.

Oct 15, 10 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

can I get Andrewbb's input on this stuff?

Mar 23, 11 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

read this: http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-City-Greatest-Invention-Healthier/dp/159420277X

it argues against #2 oh so well.

i'm pretty sure the earth doesn't really need anyone to take care it. a pattern language reads like a mushroom trip while dragon natural speaking runs in the background.

Mar 25, 11 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
laizer

Working with some students of Alexander to foment active discussion of patterns - proposing a stack exchange site as a first step:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/37578/place-patterns?referrer=AiIOs5cBVBqWm0SjsRBE2g2

(For those of you less inclined toward pattern, there's a vanilla Architecture proposal there as well.  http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/30108/building-architecture?referrer=Q1GHgIpiwFgVva7N7UbKDA2 )

Jan 15, 12 7:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: