Archinect
anchor

Another oil rig explodes in Gulf

Distant Unicorn
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/us/03rig.html

"An apparent explosion occurred on an offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday morning, injuring one worker, the United States Coast Guard said.

The production platform, which was owned by the Houston-based Mariner Energy, was floating in relatively shallow waters 340 feet deep to the west of where a drilling rig leased by BP blew up and sank this spring, killing 11 people and touching off an environmental calamity.

It was unclear whether the rig was in danger of foundering, or whether the apparent explosion had set off any underground oil leaks."

One part of me wants to laugh uncontrollably, the other parts of really wishes people would look introspectively at themselves and their use of oil.

Sep 2, 10 1:32 pm
JoeyD

1. We have the most liberal/cloudy administration in office
2. We have an administration who's expanding the power of gov't never before seen
3. We have an administration pushing the most liberal/anti-American agenda ever
5. We've been drilling for over 30 years without any incidents of this magnitude
6. We've had 4 within the past 6 mos!!!
7. Coincidence??

Sep 2, 10 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

Coincidence?

Of course not.

We just had eight years of deregulation and nonexistant oversight.

You weren't being serious, were you?

Sep 2, 10 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Except the lag between policy creation and institution of policy is a minimum 1.5 year.

It takes a long time to craft a functional government program that has an iota of transparency or accountability.

If the federal government says "We want these goals from doing this," "this" just does not happen overnight. There's about 8 dozen bureaucrats between the proclamation and actual action.

And each of those individuals has the power to make slight alterations of to the process of getting from declaration at the presidential and congressional level to the actual goal carried out by low level government officials.

If anything, true bureaucrats are suppose to be mind-numbingly non-partisan, neutral and reactive or responsive to action, result and intended consequence.

In the course of the last 20-30 years, non-partisan government employees have been growing increasingly partisan because following someone else's crazy is interrelated to career advancement and job security.

In that sense, this variety of governmental operation has been widely banned, revolted against or reformed-- i.e., the formation of the Westminister System, reformation of the USSR post-Stalin as 'recent' examples.

But typically, patronage and corruption often go hand in hand. The depressing thing is that it is typically difficult to prove and even more difficult to remove as many individuals typically know that being rewarded for loyalty above job performance is ethically wrong.

The issue here is that it is difficult to really point fingers at who is doing what for what reason and why.

But, if you want to talk conspiracy theories... I doubt the Obama administration has really had enough time to dispose previous administrations' bureaucracies to replace them with candidates more aligned with center-left to far-left politics for the sole intent and purpose of causing social and economic harm.

Sep 2, 10 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Tl;dr--

Eat a bag of dicks...

and read a god-damned book program evaluation and governmental policy.

This thread was posted to remind people of the continuing problem with the petrochemical industry-- I'll even spell out two optional points from both sides!:

Liberal side-- Oh noes! Another potential oil spill?! Why can't we be more responsible? Think of the environmental and social damage this will inflict? We should change!

Conservative side-- Oh lordy, O' All-Might Jesus! Another potential oil spill?! This could bankrupt me! All that potential lost revenue! That's oil I could have turned into plastic shit to rip off poor people at Wal-Mart! Thank God that he will gives us more oil once we fulfill the biblical prophecies laid out to us in Revelations by restoring the Canaanites to their throne in the Holy Land!

Sep 2, 10 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hahahahahahhahahahahahhaha....
"We have an administration pushing the most liberal/anti-American agenda ever "....
thats got to be the stupidest shiz i have ever, ever ever heard... im sorry, i dont care to make a real comment.... i just got a good LOL out of that and thought id complement JoeyD on his astute observation

Sep 2, 10 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Just heard that there is a fire on a drilling rig/production platform or oil leak in the Gulf every 3 days or so (over 100 each year).

So gotta wonder why we don't hear about them? Guess they didn't sell many ads before.

Sep 2, 10 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Can the big fireball/comet just blow up earth already so we can all just die and get this over with. I can't wait until 2012

Sep 2, 10 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M
Sep 4, 10 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: