Archinect
anchor

"architectural design" language for non-licensed designer

neal1313

I am a recent graduate with my MArch degree. A friend is creating a business card that I can use for drafting and small design jobs... He used my name and "architectural design". I have seen some drafting professionals use the same language. Even though I am not calling myself an architect is this crossing the line?

Thanks
Neal

Sep 1, 10 7:45 pm
Ledoux's Eye

Well, this will depend on the laws in the state (or states) in which you intend to seek projects. However, to my knowledge, most (probably all) states would consider this as holding yourself out as an architect without holding a proper license. Most (all?) states prohibit the use of the words "architect", "architectural," "architectural design" or similar wording on business cards, letterhead, phone book listings, etc., unless you are, in fact, licensed in that state. You can probably check this easily on-line at the website for the state licensing board for any state in which you are interested.

Sep 1, 10 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

What Ledoux said. Look up your state's regulations; my state, for example, prohibits offering "architectural" services unless one is registered.

Sep 1, 10 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

it is usually the word architect or architectural that is regulated, and only in so far as it effects matters of health and safety (basis of state claim to regulate commerce). So it is frequently fine for you to call yourself an information architect (no health and safety) or a residential, commercial, and industrial building designer (no architect).

but you should check with your state office of professional regulation. In many states if you get i wrong you will never be eligible for a license.

Sep 2, 10 12:02 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I have 2 cards, one says my name and contact information.

The other one says my name, "best architecture college Alumni" Barch. and contact information.

PS. it doesn't say best architecture college, I show my college name, very simple.

usually it will atleast stimulate a conversation if i give it away to someone, and it lets me explain about myself.

Sep 2, 10 1:50 am  · 
 · 
steadyeddy

Friends in a similar situation have simply stated their academic qualifications after their name and haven't had any problems.

Sep 2, 10 9:32 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Everybody wants to walk that thin line.

Why not just put down designer or something that will fit what it is you do without having to worry about the legal aspect?

There is nothing wrong with designer as a title on a business card.

Sep 2, 10 10:33 am  · 
 · 
med.

We use the term "Designer" as the organization I am employed by does not buy into calling their professionals "interns." Very good practice in my opinion.

Sep 2, 10 10:37 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I think that steadyeddy's friends and I, have a good approach, by stating our academic qualification. After all some of us did go to well known very expensive institutions why not flaunt it? we are opening up to others a lot more than if we state that we are a "designer", because that title does not say what you have accomplished as much as saying that you actually did go to college for 5 years or 7 years. Kind of like when we go see a doctor look in the waiting room what do you see all kinds of degrees. Plus putting down "designer" does not say you are involved in architecture as much as saying you have Professional Bachelors in Architecture, or Professional Masters. Plus the word "designer" implies so many things, but mainly it implies arbitrariness, not to mention that it also implies that you lean very heavily towards only one aspect of a very complicated profession that involves a lot more than "design". Just my humble opinion.

Sep 2, 10 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Going to school for 5-7 years isn't enough of an accomplishment to require a designation behind your name. And unless you happen to have graduated from my alma mater, I wont really care what school you went to when I'm reviewing your resume. Top schools can produce shitty architects and lower tier schools can produce great ones.

Doctors are different. After school, they can call themselves doctor.

After school, we can call ourselves 'in debt'. (Maybe your school loan amount on your card would impress some).

'Designer' (amongst other things) implies that you have not yet met the state requirements for being a licensed architect. It's safe and practical in most instances. If you're interested in 'flaunting' your credentials on your business card, go ahead and put some derivation to the word 'architect' on it--might as well put 'one helluva swell guy' too. Stating that you are 'an architect' in a social setting is okay -- using it in the context of marketing, ie. business card, brochure, website is not okay. Most state laws will agree.

It's about time the AIA determine an appropriate title that everyone agrees with. Is 'architect in training' demeaning? Works for engineers.

To the original poster, before I was licensed, my personal business card that I had made up just said my name and designer after it. And then at the bottom of the card, I had a footer of different 'services' ie. drafting, rendering, etc. -- most of the lay public will understand that you are associated with architecture without actually saying it.

Just my two pennies.

Sep 2, 10 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

"Going to school for 5-7 years isn't enough of an accomplishment to require a designation behind your name. And unless you happen to have graduated from my alma mater, I wont really care what school you went to when I'm reviewing your resume. Top schools can produce shitty architects and lower tier schools can produce great ones."

Stating what that you have a professional degree is not necessarily a designation it is just you saying you actually went to college. I never said it is some kind of designation.

Who's talking about Resumes on here? we were discussing our calling cards.

"designer" is not a very professional title sorry its just too arbitrary.

by stating that I have a Professional Architecture degree I'm being more honest with people, than if my card says "designer".

how is putting your alma maters name, after that a Barch or March, how is this even comparable to saying "one helluva swell guy"? saying you have a Barch, or March, also implies that you have not finished your exams for licensure yet.

I wont care about what college you went to either. but at least it will reveal something about you which is being hidden by using the word " Designer"

Why not just use Non Licensed Architect? if you people are so self conscious.

You know the funny thing is that when someone is licensed, and I've known my share of them, they really slack off on knowing things, though I'm not licensed yet, I can honestly say I am better at being an Architect than a lot of licensed Architects, and if it wasn't for this economy I'd be licensed right now.

I cant justify paying for license exams instead of paying for food, clothing or shelter at the moment.

Sep 2, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

"'Designer' (amongst other things) implies that you have not yet met the state requirements for being a licensed architect. It's safe and practical in most instances." -gibbost

Referring to Personal Business Cards on this (NOT to Business cards from Companies we work for, because we all know companies like to have their own designations popular amongst them is "designer")

I don't know what cocktail parties you go to, but here in Chicago it's not a safe or practical thing to call yourself a designer on your personal calling card. You'll be laughed at instantly.

Sep 2, 10 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

To Don,

A professional architecture degree is just as useful as the term 'designer' in the context you are using it. Neither are registered by the state to render architectural services. So, if it makes you feel better to state your degree, then by all means. In time, this will pass.

Referring to the school reference, I was merely suggesting that it seems rather tactless and unnecessary to include that on a business card--(not resume, sorry). Your school and affiliations go on your resume, your title on your business card. If you don't yet have a title, then you just put your name on the card, sans title.

I'm reminded of something my ol' man use to tell me when he was giving me a whoopin' He'd say, 'you won't know what I mean until you're a parent someday.' Now that I'm a proud papa, I understand what he was talking about. Sometimes, it's all about perspective. I hope that once you're licensed, you understand where we are coming from.

It's not about denying those folks that have completed their education and are working towards licensure. It's about protecting our turf from the 'lawn architect' and the 'architectural granite guy'. Self-consciousness has little to do with it. It's about obeying state laws. (Again, it's time for the lobbying force to come up with a title for architectural interns.)

For the same reason we are upset at the IT guys for using the term 'architect' you should be equally upset at the people that misuse the term in hopes of securing work. The lay public doesn't know the difference between an architect and an 'architectural drafter' but the state does.

I will agree with your assessment of many licensed architects. Many are out of touch with the current profession. CEU's are a way of hopefully keeping them educated. However, there are also an equal number of naive graduates that have a great deal to learn about how the profession works as well.

At the end of the day, i suppose it's a personal call.

Sep 2, 10 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Incorporate and call yourself President. Looks hot.

Sep 2, 10 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

'I don't know what cocktail parties you go to, but here in Chicago it's not a safe or practical thing to call yourself a designer on your personal calling card. You'll be laughed at instantly.'

I don't know what municipalities you practice in, but here in KC you'll be hauled into the pokey for using the term architect, architectural intern, architectural designer, or any other derivation if you are not licensed. (Okay, maybe not, but at least a stiff fine.)

We've all dropped the 'architect' card in a social setting. Chicks dig it--I get that. But where it crosses the line is when you are implying that you can offer architectural services. It's a fine, gray line--but it does exist. The lay public knows that Dr. Pepper doesn't offer chiropractics or obstetrics . . . but they are not quite sure whether an 'architectural drafter' can develop a set of permit drawings for their new home or not.

Sep 2, 10 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

John Doe
IIT Alumi, Barch

00000 elm st.
Chicago IL 60000

[email protected]
Cell: 123-4567
Home: 123-4567

^thats my business card, where in that is anything even implying the word "architect"

Sep 2, 10 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

ps. for the record yes i am upset at what the computer science guys are doing. I understand about protecting your turf too, and that is why I will never tell people I am an architect until I pass my exams.

At the same time though, I don't want to stand up for a profession that has fired more than half of its people including licensed architects. In the cases I personally know it was not because we were incapable, though we understand its a business, when the incompetent people get to stay because they are sheep it irks us all.

Architecture Moral is at an all time low. Frankly is probably still bad to say you are licensed because the next question is going to be " Where do you work?"

Sep 2, 10 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I also have another card with just my name, and contact info.

Sep 2, 10 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Make sure you get your Leed accreditation, then your name starts looking really good!

John Doe LEED AP (last part in red letters!)
ITT Institute
Registered Architect -Candidate

The word 'Candidate' clears you of any wrongdoing whatsoever. Even if you run over someone.

Sep 2, 10 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

no offense but i don't want to be involved with Leed certification, I don't approve of someone else approving of my environmentally friendly ways. I don't need my ego to be massaged. It is my opinion that Architects have always built with the environment and site as the determining factor.

IIT = Illinois Institute of Technology, but that's ok a lot of people are more familiar with ITT television commercials.

I will consider the red letter advice though for my name or probably for the college name since it is the college official color.

Sep 2, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I, at parties, just pop a squat and pinch off a huge dump in a fine leaded crystal bowl filled with Hennesey, sprinkle glitter on it and scream out, "I AM ANDY FUCKING WARHOL."

Sep 2, 10 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

steel studs what you mean by Registered Architect-Candidate?

Sep 2, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

gibbost saud I'm reminded of something my ol' man use to tell me when he was giving me a whoopin' He'd say, 'you won't know what I mean until you're a parent someday.' Now that I'm a proud papa, I understand what he was talking about. Sometimes, it's all about perspective. I hope that once you're licensed, you understand where we are coming from.

Way to compare a grown man with years of practical experience and education to an 8 year old child!

I understand the need for professional certification. The intent is supposed to benefit the society by eliminating incompetence. Fine. My issue is complexity of architectural licensing. You need a (more than) full time commitment to become a registered architect. If you have more than one passion in your life, you will be excluded from this process. God forbid you are also interested in pursuing your interests in art, music, web development, engineering, culinary arts, anything really.... You are better off giving up on Architecture.

The end result? A recession hits, and architectural professionals have exactly zero other skills to fall back on. Self destruction by design.

The level of self protectionism that exists in this profession is comical. Dig a hole until you can't get out of it. You said "It's about protecting our turf from the 'lawn architect' and the 'architectural granite guy'."

I lol'ed out loud! Then I cried.

Sep 2, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Don, "Registered Architect-Candidate" was a joke referencing oft-used "mArch-candidate" description in student portfolios.

Sep 2, 10 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

The name Yo-Yo used to be owned exclusively by Duncan. A bunch of other companies started using the name and Duncan failed to protect it. Now anyone can call themselves a Yo-Yo.

Sep 2, 10 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

987654321, good anecdote, yet inapplicable in this case. Trademark laws have nothing on the power of license accreditors who can black-list you into irrelevance.

I recommend an intentional misspelling to get around the limitation. Example: Licenced Archotect. Win!

Sep 2, 10 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Studs,

The theory of intentional misspelling is brilliant. People use that for URL's all the time. You know, yahooo, homtail, etc.

Based on this same approach, I will be registering with the Archaeological Institute of America.

Sep 2, 10 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

"Designer" sounds like you are a graphic designer, or possibly, an interior designer, but certainly nothing to do with architecture.

Just go with "I design buildings"

Then they'll ask "so you are an architect?"

and you answer "my degrees are in architecture, I design a lot of things"

They walk away thinking you are an architect, you never stated you were, etc., etc.

or as gibbost and ss suggest, that is brilliant. They do call themselves the "AIA"!! Funny.

Sep 2, 10 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

I like "designer" when one is not licensed.

DonQ, I don't get it why people think it's funny.

Sep 2, 10 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

well purpurina,

I'm not sure, see some of trace's comments up above, my guess is that people just love to see other people suffer a lot.

kind of like when someone gets physically hurt people laugh most of the time,

mainly I think "designer" sounds like "architect wannabe".

Sep 2, 10 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

LOL DonQ, we are all wannabes till we get licensed. And even after licensed...

Sep 2, 10 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Just do this [to borrow from Don]:

John Doe
Advanced Buildings or
Advanced Building Design
IIT Alumi, Barch

00000 elm st.
Chicago IL 60000

[email protected]
Cell: 123-4567
Home: 123-4567

My Cousin in law has on his twitter profile - 'part time musician and fulltime architect for Australia's largest telco'. I give him sh*t - cheeky computer geek!

Sep 2, 10 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

your right purpurina

Wannabe for life baby

Sep 3, 10 12:26 am  · 
 · 
spaceman

go with "master builder." It's totally unregulated and it sounds even better than architect

Sep 3, 10 2:10 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Why don't you just do the IDP, pass the ARE and call yourself a flippin ARCHITECT.

There will be plenty of time to be an Architect once you actually become one.

Sep 3, 10 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Let me borrow the money so i can take those exams ill pay you when I can aqua. Congratulations if you do have the money though.

Sep 3, 10 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

dont take it the wrong way agua all i meant to say was what i said earlier.

I cant justify paying for license exams instead of paying for food, clothing or shelter at the moment. If it wasn't for this terrible economy I'd be licensed right now.

Sep 3, 10 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

mainly I think "designer" sounds like "architect wannabe".

Or it might mean that you have the range of skills that actually make you employable...as opposed to expendable.

who is laughing when there are no checks coming in?

I use "designer" and have an architectural part of my portfolio of work...nowhere to I mention being an architect or offer architectural services.

I have found all of my clients to appreciate my range of design acumen...

Sep 3, 10 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

How does one finish IDP when there are no architecture jobs to be had to finish IDP?

Sep 3, 10 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

Don,

It seems that this is quite important to you personally and professionally. Maybe borrowing the money for the tests is a good idea (friends, families, etc.).

Most of us have already borrow soooooo much to get our degree anyways. another coupld of grands won't set you back very far. IMO, it will be a worthy investment and the timing ain't bad. Since as you said you've already known even more than some of the registered folks already and you have time to study (before you get the next job or private commision).

It may seem like added financial trouble that you don't need right now. But in the grand scheme of things, it will be worth it. Maybe it will help land you that first commision that set you up with your own practice. You never know. Don't let $1500 stop you.

Best of luck.

Sep 3, 10 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
devon.tl

If you read the "Professional Conduct and Ethics" that IDP provides, it clearly says that this is illegal and you can be prosecuted for it.

Sep 3, 10 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Thanks for the encouraging words CrazyHouseCat. Yes I will set up my own practice one day, but right now its really not an option. I don't want to borrow from my family, either, my parents are already paying for my youngest brother to go to college, I will figure this out on my own.

PS. someone send rascal3q the memo that no one is hiring architects anymore.

Sep 3, 10 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"it clearly says that this is illegal and you can be prosecuted for it."

Sounds like a dare to me.

Sep 3, 10 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I am the fantasy sparkle architect of landscapes for unicorns.

SUE ME.

Sep 3, 10 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'll take that dare, but first, does it count if I use my alias?

Sep 4, 10 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

The architectural designer title is normally used when applying for a position directly within a firm, stating your position intention, but once you work there they will not print this title, or architect intern or architect, if you are not licensed, in your buss. card. They will chose designer or else.

Sep 4, 10 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Well, you don't like the term "designer" my alternate for you would be "unlicensed intern architect"

Sep 14, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

no one takes architects seriously anyway.

now Design Ninjas! what's up.

Sep 15, 10 12:11 am  · 
 · 
AgustinOrozco

Good one!

so the conclusion is.... there is no "term" that explains objectively that someone has a degree in Architecture and still has no license to practice. Correct?

Mar 7, 12 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I usually put NINJA MASTER after my name

Mar 8, 12 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

I got on this thread late, but I advertise myself as a "designer" with 13 years of built experience, which it true.  I have (4) degrees including a MArch.  Does this cross the line?  I personally think designer is just as powerful as architect because it means you can design anything from a spoon to a battleship, not just buildings, and I need to be as flexible as possible to take any job these days.

May 6, 12 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: