Archinect
anchor

Things to see or do in Milwaukee

mad+dash

Heading to Milwaukee for 4 days. Anything notable to see or do, aside from the Milwaukee Art Museum.
Would also appreciate any suggestions on great night spots.
thanks!

Aug 29, 10 3:49 pm
RKTechture

A few architectural I like in no particular order-
The Grain Exchange
Federal Building
City Hall
Milwaukee County War Memorial Center (Saarinen designed,adjacent to MAM)
Milwaukee Public Market
Urban Infill home (3039 N. Buffum St., Johnsen Schmaling Architects)
Various Frank Lloyd Wright homes
-2714 W. Burnham (American System-Built Homes)
-2420 N. Terrace Ave. (Bogk House)
Greek Orthodox Church (Wauwatosa)
Urban Ecology Center
Lake Park- Olmsted designed...if you really want to enjoy it spend a couple hours walking the winding paths and bridges, not just the main areas.

For Fun-
Laacke & Joys downtown- rent a canoe/kayak and see the city from the river, dock at one of the many bars for a local beer (Milwaukee Ale House, Lakefront Brewery)
Roots- great food, atmosphere and view of the skyline from a bluff (biased cause I know one of the chefs). They'll pick some of the ingredients for your meal from their garden right in front of you.
Wolski's Tavern
Safe-House (super kitschy but can be fun for a drink or two)
Von Trier (eastside bar)

Enjoy!

Aug 29, 10 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

If you have any chance to make the drive down to Racine, I would suggest seeing Frank Lloyd Wright's SC Johnson Wax building, I'd say it's in my Top 2 of must-see things in the area, along with the MAM.

The Mitchell Park Domes might be interesting for you to check out, though I've lived in Milw for 10 years and still haven't been there.

The "Boathouse" on the east side is always interesting.
http://wiki.worldflicks.org/east_side_boat_house.html#

The Historic 3rd Ward has some interesting architecture, as well as some decent entertainment. It's just south of the downtown area, just south of Interstate 794.
http://www.historicthirdward.org/

You could probably catch a Brewers game at Miller Park Stadium, usually tickets are available, except maybe against the Chicago Cubs.

For some decent night spots, you can try Water Street near the downtown, but the people that go there are way to high maintenance for me, I usually go to Brady St & Farwell Ave or North Ave & Farwell Ave for drinks. Also, Pizza Shuttle on Farwell is good for bar-time food (I think they're open til 3am weekends), or theirs Jimmy John's for subs.

Of course, if you're interested, you can always go visit the UW-Milwaukee School of Architecture and Urban Planning on the east side at Hartford & Maryland. First day of classes is Sept. 2nd, so the building should be open during the day (weekends too). Studios are usually Mon, Wed, Fri from 1:30-5:30 pm, wander up to the 4th floor and take a peek, no one should care.

Aug 29, 10 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

thanks for the wonderful advice.

Aug 30, 10 10:29 am  · 
 · 

Hey, RK and Milwaukee, what is this little project again?

I thought it was pretty cool when I saw it (in pouring rain) last fall. Also it's right across the street from that little farmer's market stall building where we had a really nice lunch at the wine bar. In the arts district?

Aug 30, 10 10:56 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

There is beer in Milwaukee.

Aug 30, 10 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I couldn't find too much info on that building, just this:

The Schlitz Audubon Nature Center Exhibits - Watershed across from the Milwaukee Public Market on the Milwaukee River at the corner of St. Paul Ave. and Water St. Located in Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward the building is a mini-museum containing exhibts and information on the Milwaukee River watershed.

Long as I'm here, my design for the Milwaukee Public Market, circa 2002. Perhaps my most boringist design. Ever.

Aug 30, 10 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
JoeyD

So, do you come to Milwaukee often?

Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.

Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?

Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

I was not aware of that.

Aug 31, 10 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Ooh, glad I found this thread. Anybody live in Milwaukee? I will be in town tomorrow afternoon through Sunday afternoon and am up for hanging out. So far we have little on the agenda for tomorrow, so I'm up for whatever.

Sorry for the late notice... let me know!

Oct 1, 10 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Oh and JoeyD, we've been pronouncing it "Mill-e-wah-que" since we stepped off the plane. :o)

Oct 1, 10 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

FYI, the "L" in Milwaukee is often silent in casual conversation, as in "Mi-wau-kee" But you are correct about the native american origins.

Oct 2, 10 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

PS, free basket of bacon if you spend at least $2.50 on drinks at Comet Cafe on Farwell on Sundays.

Oct 2, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: