Archinect
anchor

Bachelor of Architecture - Out of Fashion?

A.I.

Is it just me, or are fewer programs and universities offering 5 year B.Arch Degrees?

It seems that the new norm is a 4+2, or 4+3 program eventually ending up with a Master's as your professional degree.

Is there any reason for this trend? (At least in the United States)

Jun 1, 14 5:04 am
accesskb

They want to make more cash by lengthening the program.

Jun 1, 14 5:09 am  · 
 · 
the orange menace

Employers are now looking for you to have a Master's as well - especially if you're just graduating. Nearly all of our fresh-out-of-school staff has a Master's.

I think for the schools it's a money grab, plain and simple. NCARB too, most likely.

NCARB did recently say they were going to be looking into licensure with your degree - meaning you would one way or another get a license upon graduating. This would seem like the only reason a Master's might make sense as a requirement, assuming it's modified to require significant work experience for your degree.

Honestly, in reality your education is what you make of it - as is your work experience. I sit beside a co-worker who has a master's from an ivy league (same graduation year) and we work on the same projects with the same responsibilities and the same pay.

But what do I know? I only have a BArch.

Jun 1, 14 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

Following the collapse in 2008, graduating arch. students found it difficult to obtain a job after graduation. Therefore, a better option was to study for a masters degree while the economy would hopefully recover. Today, I believe graduating students are seeing the effect this has had—students graduating with a BArch. are competing against these older students who have Masters degrees.

Honestly, the only two real reasons to obtain a masters degree after BArch is for the "connections" and/or if you want to become a professor. I think it's slightly ridiculous to think going on to get a masters is going to make you a MUCH better designer or open up a realm of creativity that just wasn't there in undergrad years.

Jun 1, 14 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

You guys with your fancy professional degrees....

Jun 2, 14 9:05 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

If the student is not waring black, he/she is out of fashion.

Jun 2, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Today, I believe graduating students are seeing the effect this has had—students graduating with a BArch. are competing against these older students who have Masters degrees.

Those staterooms on the Titanic are selling out fast.  Book yours now before it's too late.

Jun 2, 14 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Money grab...

They are "looser" with the undergraduate acceptance too, so they get more students, thus more money.  Should also note, graduate level courses and tuition is a ton higher, so they've got you hooked on wasting 4 years on a worthless degree, to really stick it to you for graduate level  you need to get licensed in this career choice... 

Jun 2, 14 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Um... well, I'm a guy that hires folks.  BA vs M at least for me doesn't matter and the M can actually hurt you.  Mostly that's because I'm familiar with our local Master degree and it's subpar to most BA's since they cram 'architecture' into 2-3 years versus 5. 

Jun 4, 14 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: