Archinect
anchor

More layoffs...thought we were done.

binary

so i'm curious if any of you folks have decided to become self employed and go find clients.... i feel that there will be more small offices opening since these folks can't WAIT ANY LONGER TO FIND A TYPICAL ARCH JOB.....

interior renovations are fun to do... you might learn a thing or 2

Aug 26, 10 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
robco

I was laid off from my job 18 months ago-senior architect, 15 years exp., mostly housing, mixed use, urban infill stuff. I spent 2009 hopelessly chasing jobs, while helping a couple of friends with some contract work. The beginning of this year, I began pursuing an Architect job with the a Redevelopment Agency. The process took most of the first half of the year- 150 of us to start, 5 interviews that winnowed the field to 2 by April, then 2 unbearable months for them to make a decision. I didn't get it, and they let me know via a voicemail on a Saturday- I was watching the World Cup.

And that was it.

I started over, and decided that the best way to get through this was not to try to battle with hundreds of others, and be at the mercy of clueless human resources assholes, but to scratch through with small stuff, on my own. Unless in health care or Mandarin fluent, they still ain't hiring in these parts.

I had a bit of serendipity- a friend called, and had a small apartment remodel. No design to speak of, but gave me a chance to figure out everything else about doing my own work (layouts,proposals, consultants). And then, the initial networking paid off, a small house remodel, and maybe now an office remodel space planning gig. For me at least, once I went from "looking for a job" to "offering my services", things changed. I've started going to neighborhood group meetings, began contacting more developers that I've worked with, and even if I don't think I have all the expertise with an issue, I know where I can get it.

I was always reluctant about this route. But it still sucks out there, particularly for those of us who have a lot of experience and live in places as **ed-up as California. But there are ALOT of little things happening, and I think ALL Architects have much to offer in this regard, more than you think. I had little confidence , even with my experience, but its unfolding nicely. Go for it.

Aug 26, 10 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

sorry to resurrect ths thread with more bad news: we lost another 12% today. Cancellation of government and institutional building work was cited as the reason. Complete surprise.

Dec 9, 10 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Ouchy!
Sorry to hear that Urbanist. I thought things were picking up, because I've had about 5 interviews in the past month in a half, of those, 3 offices were offering me an independent contract position, with no benefits, I think that they were caught off guard that I was so well prepared to talk about the repercussions having to do with being an "Independent Contractor", and I also asked for a high enough salary to offset having to pay my own taxes. Probably thanks to my fellow archinectors always being aware of industry hiring trends, and calling the IRS to help me be ready for these kinds of job offers.

I got another interview next week, hopefully something turns up.

ps. 2 offices are still pending, for me, and funny enough the companies that are offering a full time post, are the only ones I'm having luck with.

Dec 10, 10 2:28 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

My personal view is that the "recovery" some people observed was largely driven by optimism, not a real increase in commissions, unfortunately. It'll be weak for some time to come. I'm just glad I survived yet another round... fingers crossed...

Dec 10, 10 3:19 am  · 
 · 
+i

where are you located, Urbanist?

Dec 10, 10 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

NYC, +i.

Dec 10, 10 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
CMNDCTRL

sorry to hear, Urbanist. good luck to you. you sticking it out? or trying to find something else?

Dec 10, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
IHATEMARXISTS

robco probably settled at a salary of 26k.

"Complete surprise."

Um, yeah, I guess all those Tea Partiers, Ron Paul, and Gerald Celente types really are just completely bat sh%^ crazy.

Ha Ha joke is on all of you shortsighted fools.

Keep your change I'll keep my hope in the common sense and self evident truth.

Keep trying to change gravity, though with all that faux hope and change! It makes for some great entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id6Eig42jYY

Dec 10, 10 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

cmndctrl,

well.. I'm still happy where I am, and I suspect it'll get busier with fewer people. I'm just less optimistic than most - with a divided Congress, there's almost no new moneys for Federal projects and subsidized programs will also be difficult to get passed. Without a pivate housing market to speak of now and and no new prospects for more public programs, I suspect things will fall into a bit of a lull nationally... I thinkf irms have to gear up for that reality.

Dec 10, 10 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
+i

anybody hearing grumblings in their offices of additional layoffs since the new year? i hear a few concerned voices here in DC...

Jan 10, 11 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Definitely some concern in a few firms in DC.....as I've heard.

Jan 11, 11 10:59 am  · 
 · 
aldorossi

Concern in DC firms has to do with the new congress...

Jan 11, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
robot

Salon writer Witold Rybczynski on the recessions effect on architecture:

http://www.slate.com/id/2281005/

Jan 14, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
distant

From the link immediately above:

"The losers will be the current generation of young graduates. Trained in the arcane arts of parametric design and generative architecture, they will find themselves facing a world of chastened clients who demand discipline, restraint, and common sense."

While I appreciate the angst that statement may cause graduates of a certain age, this is bad for the broader profession because .... ?

Jan 14, 11 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

robot, I'm going to repost your slate article into a new thread. I'm sure it will evolve into a fun poo flinging thread :)

Jan 14, 11 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
robot

I laughed hard at that sentence in the article. Funny - very accurate description of the latest fixation as evidenced by most schools Grad Design Studios or even "edgy" practitioners work. I get the feeling that the writer is a bit of a Christopher Alexander (Pattern Language) guy and really dislikes the fluffy stuff. Which given the current examples and overblown fake manifestos by Patrik Shumacher and the like are really easy targets. Though it is truly frightening to see people try to polish a door knob while the ships sinking though.

Jan 14, 11 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
archie

8 laid off from a Pittsburgh firm of 50 this week.

Jan 14, 11 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

oh no, archie! you run your own firm, correct? was it yours?

There aren't that many 50-person Pittsburgh firms, hmm. Bohlin? LD Astorino? Burt Hill?

Jan 14, 11 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Wow, weird to hear about DC (i+)
Several friends in DC have recently changed firms for better positions elsewhere. I keep hearing of there being demand out there, but employers being VERY selective.
It's still spotty out there...recently met with some local Miami counterparts and the bigger name firms seem to have work, even thinking about hiring. Having said that, there are still a lot of others hurting. Just interviewed someone who works for a large global firm (with a
Miami office) who said things are getting worse. Sad part is that the other 2 people in her department are coming in for an interview tomorrow and Wednesday...must be pretty bad if the only three are desperate to jump ship.
We have recently brought back 4 former employees, have another 4 "contract employees" + are interviewing for a couple more openings. We are seeing strength across several sectors, including local corporate interiors work and architecture!
Any other offices seeing increased demand?

Jan 16, 11 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'll throw this in as a response to J3,

Yes, my current firm is seeing alot of demand, but we deal largely with clients that poach empty retail spaces on the cheap and then ask us to do the CDs. One of our clients is a huge retail company that's currently undergoing rapid expansion due to the sheer cheapness of retail real estate. All the retailers we work with are discount retailers, who have seen a massive expansion of business in this economy due to consumers downgrading their shopping habits.

There's plenty of work out there, even with private clients, but you may have to lower your standards to get the work.

Jan 17, 11 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
archie

IKM in Pittsburgh. (A tile rep told me. ) they do mostly medical, so it is surprising that they are laying off since that is pretty busy here. All senior people I hear.

Jan 17, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
SeaArch

We are seeing an increased demand in Seattle. We have brought two people back that we let go and have hired a Senior Interior Designer. We also have a contract person starting this week. We are getting apartment buildings and tenant improvement projects.

Jan 17, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

ah, IKM, I used to know someone who worked there, many moons ago. Yeah that is odd. Maybe healthcare pipeline is drying up?

Jan 17, 11 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Glad to hear there are some jobs opening up, although it largely seems to be hire-backs or senior level positions. Hoping that I don't have to spend all of this year unemployed. The application process just gets worse and worse... now I can't even get offices to call me back, even after I went through 2 rounds of interviews. At least have the balls to tell me I didn't get hired!

Jan 17, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

J3

Selective? what do you think they are looking for?

Jan 18, 11 12:10 am  · 
 · 
med.

I know IKM....Interesting what transpired there...I know some of the projects they are working on in WV as well...

Probably one big project got put on hold or cancelled and they decided to furlough or lay the team off.

Jan 18, 11 11:52 am  · 
 · 
J3

Selective: Hired for a very specific position, or someone with very specific skills. Sorry to be Vague, but we all have to be very careful these days on what we say/don't say (they are watching)

Jan 18, 11 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
archie

med, IKM had been hiring in the last six months, and they laid off all the senior people. I think they basically hired younger cheaper people and used the opportunity to get rid of some of the higher paid staff.

Jan 18, 11 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that's good to hear, seaarch. none of the firms i've been talking to are in that position, though.

definitely looking forward to any kind of turn around. oy.

Jan 18, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

Talked to a realtor in Chicago today and also an owner of a residential firm. The government is extending the freeze on foreclosure properties, meaning the backlog will continue into the foreseeable future. Media reports say they see the market improving in 2011. Most people in the know that I talk to see it as remaining rough, at least in IL.

Jan 18, 11 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Meanwhile in the UK...

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/arup-cuts-670-jobs-in-uk/5011791.article

Arup cuts 670 jobs in UK
18 January 2011 | By David Rogers

Both full-time and temporary staff go following review

Arup has got rid of 670 posts at its UK operations with nearly half the casualties being full-time employees, following a shake-up at the business.

In September, the firm announced it had put 600 staff on a 90-day consultation in the wake of the coalition government’s decision to scrap or put on hold a series of public sector projects including the Building Schools for the Future programme.

Now the engineering-to-architecture business, which employed more than 4,000 people in the UK across 17 offices, has confirmed that 670 roles have gone as a result of the restructure. The company said 280 permanent roles, including five architects, had been axed along with a further 230 temporary and agency contracts while 86 people who have left the firm have not been replaced.

New UK boss Robert Care said it had tried to mitigate the final numbers facing the axe by posting at-risk employees overseas. The firm said it had found posts for more than 70 people throughout Arup’s offices across the world.

Jan 19, 11 2:44 am  · 
 · 
+i

J3 - i went to a new firm for more money and a better position after having been at your firm. it seems your firm is hiring again- probably because labor is cheap. that makes the most sense right? hire while it's cheap for the potential to staff SOME work... ANY work... coming through. then mass layoffs when the hypothetical project doesn't work out. doesn't really mean there are MORE jobs in the profession- just that they were able to rearrange staff, or as archie mentioned above- hire cheap and let go of senior people.

as far as ARUP... they just opened a new, very small office in DC. i wonder if that's the reason for the layoffs.

Jan 19, 11 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Darth Spacer

I think I might just give up on architecture, been laid off 16 months now with no luck. I'm either going to go to tech school for X-ray tech or somehow try to find a furniture manufacture to partner with.
I have a few furniture designs but I don't know who to talk to and where to start.

Feb 1, 11 5:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: