Archinect
anchor

CLEMSON UTILITIES insiders scoop

danwkim

1st year graduate student at clemson with a few questions:

- best and cheapest place to find materials (in variety as well as quality)
- plotting? where to go? is there a website for maintaining your balance, etc?
- studio life?

any great insiders scoops would be appreciated

Aug 17, 10 11:20 pm
jmanganelli

art materials

the variety shop downtown -- expensive, limited selection
michael's in anderson -- 20 minute drive
some at university bookstore -- expensive, limited selection

rapid prototyping materials

cardboard can be had free through printcon facility through the graphics communications program -- they generate much scrap and are usually willing to give it away -- laser cutters and 3d printers are free to use for small things/limited/respectful use --- for bigger models or extensive use, you will probably have to pay for materials/lens

nice woodshop with CNC router -- no fee, lowe's a 10 minute drive for materials --- also, the sonoco institute right across the street from lee hall has a lot of MDF scrap, may be free

sonoco institute has a bad-ass cnc router that will do everything from thin cardboard to thick wood to thin stainless sheet -- very fast -- may be a cost, has to be negotiated with the institute

Aug 18, 10 10:46 am  · 
 · 
danwkim

i hear that there is a place on campus to get free cardboard...where is it? i was told you just have to call them in advance so they know that you are coming and have the cardboard ready.

Aug 19, 10 10:16 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i mention it above --- printcon

Aug 19, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: