Archinect
anchor

Boulder Travel Suggestions

bluv

I'm heading to Boulder for a week - looking to experience the architecture. I'll of course be visiting I.M. Pei's National Center for Atmospheric Research. Any locals with some advice?

Aug 15, 10 4:08 pm
orion

Food.

Cheap and Awesome
Cosmo's pizza- with spicy ranch
Santiago's Mexican- I suggest one of the combos or 2 breakfast burritos
Deli zone- breakfast sandwich the Kong, I like the strong island
Boulder Creek Market has awesome sourdough and you can get a buffalo sandwich and wild boar.
Il Pastaio is the best italian in boulder bar none and def a local place. all the pasta is hand made by the italian owners.
I also enjoyed snarfs, Illegals Petes, The Sink, and Hapa

For more upscale fare 1010 brasserie, Jax, The kitchen Mateo and Frasca are all excellent.

As for architecture there isn't all that much. Pei's NCAR is by far the highlight. The Boulder Tea house is interesting. There are some interesting houses up on baseline towards the flatirons. I suggest going for a hike up there. There are also some older homes north of Pearl on Pine that are very nice.

You can always go down to Denver its only a 45min drive and check out some things there.

Aug 15, 10 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'll second the persian tea house, infact i'd put it first (but that's just my cup of tea har har har). also: good indian food at the taj.

Aug 16, 10 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
MountainBoy

As for architecture.... Dushanbe tea house is great. NCAR by Pei is alright although the hiking nearby is far superior. Pearl Street Mall is also worth checking out. I also think that the University of Colorado is one of the most gorgeous campuses in the US, if not just for the unifying sandstone element in all the architecture.

The landscape is by far the best thing boulder has to offer, which is spectacular at that.

AS for food.. I second Cosmos Pizza, Boulder Creek Market, Mateo's, The Kitchen, and Jax. Also worth a visit is Centro Latin Kitchen, and the Boulder Chophouse.

Oh and if you have the balls for it take a tube ride down the creek. Definetley a good afternoon.

Cheers!

Aug 16, 10 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Go to Dushanbe tea house if you want to experience snotty service and drink some surprisingly vile tea cocktails. The whole building was handcrafted in Tajikistan, then shipped to Boulder only to be drilled in random places to accommodate for sprinkler system and other MEP elements. There is clearly a modern steel frame hiding underneath the handcrafted woodwork, yet the official story is that the building was erected overseas first, and then shipped over piece by piece.

For some reason Bolderians really think highly of this building.

Aug 16, 10 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

it looks like the monkey pavilion at your local zoo....

Aug 16, 10 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

CO is a beautiful place, I lived there for 15 yrs... Try and see Adjaye's Modern art Museum in Denver, then take the free 16th st bus to see Libeskind's 'Leakey Crystal'...stop off at Pints Pub for a dram of scotch when you are done

Aug 17, 10 2:01 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I am going to Leaf later this week, but it'll be a first time.

I haven't seen any architecture worth looking at in Boulder, but I've never really looked. The natural landscape is what makes it interesting, other than that it looks like a New England small town (imho, which I have a space in my heart for) with a lot of strip malls.

The campus is pretty, I'll give it that, but I can think of at least a few others that are just as nice (not to dismiss it, but it is a nice 'campus', not architecture).

I'd aim for the hike and food. You can't get that everywhere.

Come to Denver. Personally, I still love Libeskind's building, far more than Adjaye's (which looks much better from the outside than the inside, which comes off as 'cheap').
I'd give L's an A-, Adjaye's an B.

Aug 17, 10 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

There are lots of good breweries in the area that you can tour and sample the brews. You can also tour Celestial Seasonings, the mint room is an amazing experience, especially if you have sinus congestion!

Aug 17, 10 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

...or drive up to fort collins for the fat tire brewery. they give you 36 ounces of incredible beer, free. the tour is self-guided and completely unnecessary. when you run out of beer, go up to the counter and get more.

Aug 17, 10 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i don't necessarily recommend leaving there and driving to salt lake right away.

Aug 17, 10 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: