CONTRIBUTING WRITER / EDITOR to: GOOD Magazine, Domus, Design Observer, Mute Magazine, Volume, Architect Magazine, PLANET Mag, Triple Canopy, Arquine, The State, openDemocracy, and others.
VISITING FACULTY Woodbury University School of Architecture (San Diego, CA) (2009-2010)
CO-FOUNDER of DEMILIT (DM3) art / landscape / research collective (@demilit)
CO-FOUNDER of 52-BLUE experimental sono-spatial studio
FORMER SENIOR EDITOR at Archinect
BLOG: [SUBTOPIA: A Field Guide to Military Urbanism -- (Spatial Politics // Counter-Geographies // Carceral Landscapes // Cryptoentomology // Sonic Imaginaries)] @subtopes
"Meet The Bloggers" (Architect Magazine, 2007) -- "...I much prefer the outsider perspective.” - Finoki
My first blog from '04 focussed on homelessness and architecture, used as a platform to organize the very first local volunteer-based chapter for Architecture For Humanity.
Selected Writing Samples:
- PLANET MAG | Feature for 'Voices' section on Architecture For Humanity's Cameron Sinclair (2004)
- PLANET MAG | Review of Phaidon's Atlas of Architecture (2004)
- Archinect | Review of Sam Davis' Book 'Designing For The Homeless' (2005)
- Archinect | Hitching Stealth with Trevor Paglen (2005)
- Inhabitat | "Migrant Housing" (2006)
- Inhabitat | "Post-slum Payatas" (2006)
- Occupied London | “Urbanization of Panic” / (Quarterly Journal), Issue Two, Autumn 2007
- BagNews | "Portable Justice" (2007)
- BagNews | "Blinding At The Border" (2007)
- Mute Magazine | "Creative Gulag" (2007)
- Volume (Magazine) | ‘Subversive Border Suture’, (Issue #14: Office for Unsolicited Architecture / Subverting Borders, January 2008)
- Mute Magazine | “Borders 2.0 – Future, Tense” [collaborative project with Angela Mitropoulos] 2008
- Refuge/Refugee / "Towards a Nomadic Fortress" (Book) [(a chapter for a book published by Chain Links on militarized border geographies, (2009)] -- Buy here
- Volume [Magazine (Online)] | “Teaching Spatial Justice” (Online, Sept. 23, 2009)
- Crit (AIA Student Journal) / ‘MOUT and the Urban Imaginary’, (Issue #67 Crit – From Conflict, Spring 2009)
- OPEN cahier (Book) | Writer / Interviewer “City in the Crosshairs: A Discussion with Stephen Graham Pt 1” (Bryan Finoki interviews geographer Stephen Graham -- reprinted from Subtopia) – (Issue # 18 2030: War Zone Amsterdam – OPEN, 2009)
- Where We Are Now (journal) | “The Ruin Machine”, (an essay for Autumn 2009, Issue 2 – Speculating on Change / 10-17-09)
- Triple Canopy (web journal) | “The Anatomy of Ruins”, (essay and photos for Issue #7 – Urbanism: master plans)
- Arquine Magazine | “The Carceral Landscape on High Seas” (article for “Dossiers” section in issue focused on “Architecture and Fear”, Dec. 2010.)
- "Decoding Military Landscapes" | workshop with DEMILIT at Just Metropolis Conf. (UCBerk. 2010) | full text
- Domus Magazine (Web) | “Double Zero (Or How to Green Secrecy)” (an Op-Ed for online magazine, Dec. 23, 2010.)
- GOOD Magazine (Web) | “WANTED: Prison Food Writers” (an article for the Food For Thinkers series, curated by Nicola Twilley, GOOD’s Food Editor, Jan. 23, 2011).
- Interview with Bryan Finoki | (Published in the book Weaponized Architecture--The Impossibility of Innocence) Author: Leopold Lambert, published by DPR in 2011)
- THE FORENSICS OF URBICIDE | Center for Research Architecture, (2010)
- The State (Journal) | "they came to the desert and were consumed by a flickering fortress" [(Collaborative fiction with demilit, VOL II: Speculative Geographies (2012)]
- "Terra Incognita" (Newspaper Feature): A puzzle completed only in the player’s imagination. Conceived by the @Demilit collaborative for the New City Reader’s Istanbul Design Biennial 2012 edition, issue no. 3.
- Volume (Magazine) | "Footprinting Secrecy" (Collaborative Essay with Demilit, #36 Ways To Be Critical (2013) (Preview p. 19)
- UCSD Visual Arts Dept. | "[In]visible Sites" (Collaborative Fiction with Demilit) for publication In conjunction with 'Timing is Everything' (a multimedia exhibition) October 3 - December 6, 2013
- "The Funambulist Papers, Volume 1 (Book) | [(Edited by Léopold Lambert) -- "Ruin Machine" (Reprinted) (October 2013)] - buy here
- openDemocracy (web journal) | "Tunnelling Borders" (2013)
- Design Observer (web journal) | Architecture Vs. The People (2015) | First of a multi-part series on the physical and legal architecture of the neoliberal city's anti-homeless landscape.
- Design Observer (web journal) | Spaciocide (2015) | Second part in series on the anti-homeless landscape.
Coverage of collaborative work with DM3 on the "Oakland Security Cloud."
- ARCHIPELAGO (Audio podcast) | A WEAPONIZED URBANITY: MORNING DRIFT IN MILITARIZED DOWNTOWN OAKLAND
- Conversation recorded with DEMILIT (Bryan Finoki, Nick Sowers, and Javier Arbona) in Oakland (May 2, 2014)
- "Exposing Our Infrastructure: MacroCity Conference Reveals the Secret Machinery of Cities" [A review by Ben Valentine of DEMILIT's (Bryan Finoki, Nick Sowers, and Javier Arbona) walking tour of Oakland's downtown surveillance industrial cloud, as organized through the MacroCity conference, May 2014].
- "WEAPONISED URBANITY A walk through militarised downtown Oakland " / Further coverage of DEMILIT's Oakland walk in issue 45 of DAMN, by LÉOPOLD LAMBERT
- "OKLDCAAN: Capital Building of the Oakland Security Cloud" / Article with Demilit for the inaugural issue of The Funambulist Magazine, edited by by LÉOPOLD LAMBERT. Militarized Cities, (2015)
Other Recent Projects:
Design Observer (web) | "(in)Fringe": a new series of audio and text based dispatches exploring "sonic edges" in the San Francisco Bay Area, collaborating with Nick Sowers as "52-Blue."