Hi my name is Kareem Cousar and I am currently a fellow in the uDREAM program at Carnegie Mellon University while also interning at the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh, working on projects involving housing and community development. I have experience in architecture and urban design, with the capacity to critically think and analyze data. I am accustomed to working with a team to communicate and develop solutions to essential problems. As a designer I believe it is important to be well-rounded within the design field. An opportunity to work at your firm will help me to progress within the architecture profession and to ultimately achieve my goals of impacting communities through design.
I have a variety of skills and abilities which would cater to the position of an intern Architect. Briefly, they are:
A diverse work and intern experience in the fields of architecture, design and public service, strengthened by a formal education and worldly travels,
A record of achievement obtained through persistence, hard-work and a versatile background which enabled success,
A sincere desire to be a contributing member of a team.
Urban Redevelopment Authority, Pittsburgh, PA, US, Urban Design & Planning Intern
- Schematic Design for community planning and implementation
- Assist with the creation of neighborhood planning and development guidelines
- Coordinate and conduct community planning meetings
- Research and documentation
Marshall Brown Projects, Chicago, IL, US, Production Assistant
- Assisted with the building of a large site model of the Washington park neighborhood
and park area in the city of Chicago, adjacent to the University of Chicago.
- Work consisted of the creation of AutoCAD drawings, physical building of model bases,
laser cutting of site information - sidewalks, building footprints, property lines, desire
lines, roads and blocks, and painting of model bases.
Department of Housing & Economic Development, , Chicago,
Chicago Department of Economic & Housing Development, Chicago, IL, US, Historic Preservation Public Service Intern
-Supported Permit Review Committee staff through research and various office clerical functions.
-Attended staff meetings and site visits providing useful input when necessary while also
developing a deeper understanding of Historic Preservation and the review of projects before approval.
Gensler, Chicago, IL, US, Learning Intern - Emerging Professionals Program
- Selected as one of eight participants.
- Accumulated IDP credits while networking with professionals and sharing experiences.
- Practice in site and environmental analysis, engineering systems coordination, building cost analysis,
and bidding and contract negotiation.
Lubetz Architects, Pittsburgh, PA, US, Student Intern
- Became versed with Revit Architecture Software
- Transfered information on construction documents, attended site visits
- Assisted with daily office clerical task
Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Chicago, IL, US, MArch, Architecture
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, US, Bachelors, Architectural Studies
Denmark International Study Program, Copenhagen, DK, Architecture
INOMA graduate scholarship, 1st Place