Archinect
anchor

Picking up Projects in segments (not from start to finish)

BulgarBlogger

At work, I always pick up projects in segments: they have always been started and never finished. I always come in at the beginning, middle, or end. It's rare that I follow a project from start to finish. I hate working like this as I never fully understand the full scope. As far as an employer is concerned, what I feel doesn't really matter; it is just important that work gets done. But this doesn't really give me true incentive to want to know what's going on in a project as I have subconsciously been trained to understand that I'll never get the full picture. I still have about 1000 hours of IDP left. Hopefully when I get my license this will change... does anyone else have similar experiences?

Apr 10, 14 11:20 am
Wilma Buttfit

You can do all of DIP without ever seeing all parts of the scope of work an architect does nor seeing whole projects put together. I think it is probably common, an unintended consequence of the system. 

Apr 10, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I think this is a resultant of how your firm operates, and is not endemic to the profession as such.  The firm I work for also has the same "personnel management" "philosophy" - use and throw. Thankfully i have my IDP BS done a while back...

Apr 10, 14 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You could also look at that management style as beneficial while you're getting your hours:  if you're short in a bunch of areas, you can ask to be put on a project that's at that phase. No, you won't see a project all the way through, but that will come in time. Of course you have to work for somebody who's willing to put you on projects that can help you fill your hours.

Apr 10, 14 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

The places I've worked that pulled people on and off of projects with no continuity tended to end up with big quality control problems.  Lots of things would fall through the cracks as people were assigned and un-assigned from projects week to week.

Apr 11, 14 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Quality Control? Whats that? Lol.

Apr 11, 14 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: