Archinect
anchor

Laptop for M. Arch: buy or build?

theunicorn

So I'm starting my M. Arch this fall, and I don't have a background in design, so I don't really know what kind of laptop to get. I know there are recommendations for at least 8GB of RAM, Quadro graphics card, i7 processor, etc. But what else should I be looking for?

Also, MacBook Pro vs. PC? How big of a pain is it to go back and forth between Mac OS and Windows if you're on a Mac? If you find that to be really annoying, what are some good, reliable, powerful alternatives to a Mac?

I've heard a few people on Archinect threads recommending that people build their own laptop - how do you even do that??

Mar 20, 14 6:34 pm
LITS4FormZ

Never ending debate

Mar 20, 14 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
24arches

Not going in the Mac/PC issue.

Get a workstation machine from Dell or HP or Lenovo. Their warranty is longer, average default is three years (I know Dell usually has it standard but not sure about other two) and about the time technology warrants an upgrade. Laptop non-replaceable parts that go wrong usually can't be resolved by yourself so if you depend on this machine, get the plan that covers quick repair turnarounds. 

Don't upgrade RAM unless you're going the soldered-on Macbook route. Do it yourself and you can sell or reuse the old pair. Drop in a solid state drive, whatever size you want since the good ones are fairly consistent nowadays across the board. Think about price: the seconds lost between rather pointless lateral configuration options may not be worth another third of the total price. Assuming there are lab/studio systems provided for you somewhere which means you can get a lighter, portable personal machine that's not as fast but with worthy tradeoffs.

Mar 21, 14 12:24 am  · 
 · 
theunicorn

Any specific models that you would recommend?

Mar 21, 14 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: