Archinect
anchor

Questions about a courtyard house design

strider_gts

I've got a question about designing a courtyard house.  

We live in an area that is very windy nearly year-round and I'm hoping that a courtyard would serve to cut down on the wind we have to deal with when we spend time outside with friends and family.  As it is in my current house we can't even have any outdoor furniture and I've got my BBQ strapped to the deck to keep it from blowing off.  As I write this I think we have 50 mph winds right now.  It's pretty normal.

I assume that the smaller the courtyard the less wind we will exeperience, and the larger it is the more wind can get in, but is there any way of knowing how big is "too big"?  Our primary goal is keeping wind out, but still having plenty of room in the courtyard for kids to be outside playing, as well as enough room for a small lawn and a few trees.  

Are there other considerations we should take into account for designing a courtyard to deal with wind? 

Thank you!

Mar 14, 14 7:02 pm

Consulting starts @ $250/hr. plus expenses.

Mar 14, 14 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I'll only charge you $300/hr.

Mar 14, 14 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Depending on many factors, you could end up amplifying the wind in the courtyard.

No charge.   

Mar 14, 14 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

Strider where do you live to have winds like that?

Mar 16, 14 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
50 mph all the time? Can't imagine where you live.

Can't imagine anyone could BBQ outdoors in 50 mph wind, even on the lee side.
Mar 16, 14 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

It doesn't sound like you live in a courtyard-appropriate climate. Try relocating the BBQ to a more agreeable location such as Orlando, FL.

Mar 16, 14 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Or you could just strap the kids to the deck along with the grill. Use a leash with a bungee cord. Plant closely-spaced cedar trees along your property borders to act as an initial wind-break (unless you have killer views) as a beginning step.

Mar 17, 14 8:50 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

strider_gts, let me translate all the comments above - we have absolutely no idea how to design a courtyard house to reduce wind; we were never taught if making a courtyard smaller will it reduce the wind within the enclosed space, and we have never designed a courtyard house with wind as a design constraint, in fact we probably know less about this problem than you yourself.

Signed, the architect community here at Archinect

Mar 17, 14 9:16 am  · 
 · 

^ does not apply to my comment.

Mar 17, 14 9:29 am  · 
 · 

This is the key of the post: Are there other considerations we should take into account for designing a courtyard to deal with wind? 

Yes, there are.

Mar 17, 14 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I would consult a landscape architect and see what ideas he has. I would think first line might be a dry stack stone wall about three feet high, second would be the line of cedar trees, and third might be a wider-spaced line of deciduous trees like oak, maple, and beech. Then I would rename the house "The Maginot Line", and hope for the best.

Mar 17, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Of course something can be designed to divert wind but one would have to know the specific nature of the site with regards to topography, wind patterns (wind rose diagrams), etc.  it would have to be designed to the fine tuned nature of the site.  There is no general cookie cutter solution.  Problem with a courtyard depending on the conditions is that it could actually create a negative pressure and cause uplift or upwind.  It may amplify the problem.  The shape, orientation, etc could mitigate that.  There are also lighter solutions like mentioned above.  Trees native to the area are designed to withstand wind.  Nature is a prwtty good designer. Also, it would be wise to look at vernacular structures in windy areas.  Study the strategies used.  If you are building a new house the specific site that you choose will also have specific wind conditions.  Mountains, hills, can all affect wind.  Narrow spaces will amplify wind same way a narrow nozzle on a hose amplifies the water speed and pressure.  Do you have a site?  My initial thought is that you will be better off designing a wind break.  Tall trees, shrubs, etc to screen the house in the direction of the wind.  You would want to "wedge" the wind around the site and slow it down.  Then you would want to do something to deal with wind above.  And you would want to deal with the leeward side as well. You can also possibly use a landform to reduce the negative pressure and positive pressureor to assist trees in diverting wind. I'll only charge 249$ per hour.  Sorry Miles its a cold world.  Lol

Mar 17, 14 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

LOL An anonymous internet forum is a poor way to vet potential clients. Or a great way if you consider that it highlights the people who have no intention of spending a dime.  

Mar 17, 14 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: