Archinect
anchor

vacation

kwqe

5 days of vacation will be accrued for a year - you can only use them only after 1 year of employment? Have you heard of anything like this? How many vacation days do you have per year and how does it works? 

Mar 12, 14 11:06 am
file

Most of the places I've worked have provided at least 2-weeks of paid vacation per year. At 1-or-2 places, more than 2-weeks per year has been made available to long-term employees -- my current employer provides 3-weeks of vacation to staff having 5-years of continuous employment; 4-weeks of vacation are provided to staff having 10-years of continuous employment.

Vacation typically accrues at a certain number of hours each payday. In my experience, it's been universal that no vacation may be taken during the first 6-months of employment. A few firms have allowed up to 1-week of unused vacation to be carried over to the following calendar year.

Mar 12, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I've heard of that in service/hospitality industry. Sounds a lot like a design sweatshop. If a company can't give you at least 2 weeks(10 days) then they really don't value any kind of work/life balance. 

We have a generous package but days cannot be used until after the 90 day probationary period. A maximum of 10 days can also be "rolled over" to the next year. 

Mar 12, 14 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Do they also give you sick days in addition to the vacation time? Some companies split vacation/sick time, some lump it together as PTO.

Mar 12, 14 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

where i've worked, which tends to be smaller places, they have done the accrued time like you said, so you have to be there a while before you can take vacation time.  i'm pretty sure in all cases people were allowed to take vacation time before that time has accrued if there was a good reason, such as wanting to go on vacation.

Mar 12, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

kwqe - where are you located? Is that even legal?

Mar 12, 14 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
kwqe

Thanks for all comments.

file - The places you have worked sound ideal. Which area(state?) are you in? I was just wondering if this things is happening because I am in metro ny area?

file & LITS4FormZ - I understand no vacation until 3 to 6 months probation period but I have not heard anything like no vacations until 1 years of employment. Even my boss has suggested that he/she wont sign for my IDP hours until 1 year of employment ...

gwharton - We have 5 sick days and 1 personal day. 

Benjamin - I am in NJ. I had same question with you and looked it up. No law requires employers to give their workers paid vacation. 

Mar 12, 14 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Wait wait wait...your boss won't sign off on IDP hours until after a year of employment? That takes ZERO effort to complete...

I understand everyone wants/needs a job. I would continue to do my work well and look for employment elsewhere. When the question comes up in the interview, "why are you leaving," just refer to what you've told us. Any decent employer(human being) will understand and not hold it against you.

The only explanation is your employer must have been hosed quite a few times by employees leaving after a short stint. Which could also be a product of the work environment he/she creates.
Mar 12, 14 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

leave this office

Mar 13, 14 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
file

kwqe: I live and work in a large metropolitan area down in the Sunbelt. If you want to be treated like a human being, come South.  But, if you do, you'll have to learn to put up with a lot of conservative opinions about politics and such.

Mar 13, 14 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

Not signing IDP until after a year is bulls**t.  There's no justification for it.

On the other hand, accruing vacation time is very standard.  I've worked for big (200 people), small (4 people), and now run my own firm, that' how we do it.

We offer 1 week vacation in the first year...2 weeks a year for years 2-5, 3 weeks a year after that.  So in an employee's first year, they accrue 0.77 hours of vacation time a week.  Over 52 weeks, that's 40 hours of vacation time.  If an employee has been there 6 months, and wants to go on vacation for a week, that's fine, but in the event that they leave before a year's up, I deduct any vacation time they used but didn't earn from their last check.

Before anyone freaks out that I'm a monster for deducting that unused time, if they didn't go on vacation, and then leave the office, I add the accrued, but unused time onto their last check.

We also offer 3 sick days a year - but only to be used for actually being sick, you can't convert them to vacation time, and of course paid legal holidays.

Mar 14, 14 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: