Archinect
anchor

Confessions of an Architect

fuzzy_atelier

i am so happy that i discovered archinect dot com before i went to strangle my engineer. life is beautiful.

Oct 27, 04 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I love what I do and I do it better that anyone else.

Oct 27, 04 11:54 am  · 
 · 
bigness

archinect saves (engineers') lives.

i walked in front of Arup's offices the other day and saw they where putting up bars to their windows in case the Archinect server goes down.

Oct 27, 04 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
hutch

i watched part of a trading spaces episode the other day...

Oct 27, 04 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

i like the new caltrans building

Oct 27, 04 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

In Graduate School I used to mock Robert AM Stern and invented the "Robert A.M. Stern Golden Shingle Award" and presented it to the worst student in my studio each semester.

Last week I bought one of Stern's monographs.

Son of a . . .

Oct 27, 04 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

What you need, butterballs, is to work as Architect of Record for one of Stern's projects. My former office did. You'll burn that monograph before it's all over....

Oct 27, 04 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

what is architect of record ?

Oct 27, 04 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i like most all reality TV, but not any of those shows that have to do with design and construction. i absolutely abhor them

i have to drink coffee everyday

Oct 27, 04 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

butterballs - that's sad

I actually like CRIBS on MTV, but its funny the houses (except IceT) are cardboard cut-outs prevalent around middle america

Oct 27, 04 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

mauOne- The Architect of Record is part of the fairly common U.S. phenomenon in which a known design architect enlists the help of a lesser known local architect for the preparation of construction documents, the oversight of construction administration, and the general assumption of most liability.

The design architect prepares schematics and (sort of) prepares design development documents, but then leaves the rest to the AOR to figure out. The rest of the process the design architect spends critiquing the AOR's work. Makes you sympathetic to contractor's views of architects in some ways. Also assures that your fees get used up much faster than in the more traditional arrangement...

Oct 27, 04 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

When I go to browse through magazines at the bookstore, I pick up: Surface, Wallpaper*, and US Magazine... then feeling guilty, I pick up Architectural Record... needless to say, Arch Record was left untouched, and I look through Surface and Wallpaper* skipping the architectural parts because the whole uber-celebrity young starchitect thing just pisses me off.

Oct 27, 04 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i have another confession....
i have my eyebrow pierced, but i dont wear it in the office.

Oct 27, 04 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

thank you much Steven.
If i may take this further off topic , i've always wondered why people say that the work of OMA-RK, is of bad finish quality, if i imagine that there are contractors and AOR's who are the ones ultimately resposible for that finishing quality........unless the known designer specifies otherwise.

oh yeah and STEPH i'm still waiting for my virtual GF to return from her vacations, hello ?! :op

Oct 27, 04 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

what? oh my!

i have to confess that i completely forgot that at one time i had an internet boyfriend.

man, that is two for the price of one there.

Oct 27, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Dan

-I haven't pulled any all-nighter's in my M.Arch program, but still get A's

-I have an interest in economics and business. oh the shame

-I enjoy watching tv

Oct 27, 04 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

CluB And Blanket party for Dan
you bring the club i'll bring the blanket.

Hey Danny Boy Sorry to Burst your Bubble
But that M.Arch Degree you get.. will earn you only
$5,000 more per year.

Oct 27, 04 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

dazed and confused, what's is it? turning things into bongs?

ward, word.

i won't even go into how into grossly incompetent i was (or still am) on my first solo project, but i acted like i knew everything. just glad i'm not getting sued right now...

Oct 27, 04 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
mm

My confession: I love the West Wing. (I love liberalized, sensational national politics, what can I say.)

Another confession: I was mad that they killed Leo. He was my favorite character.

Oct 28, 04 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

my confessions:
1- i play football on weekends. i drink, party often, play PS2 and have fun with the lady. ALL without thinking of design.

2- i believe i'm wasting my time and talent at this firm, but am slow to leave it

3- i think arch record sucks

4- i too secretly want to be famous

Oct 28, 04 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

1.) I gravitate towards navy blue instead of black garments.
2.) I don’t subscribe to any architectural journal – I blag them for free.
3.) I don’t understand R. Mier.
4.) I love my job

Oct 28, 04 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

more confessions

I typically lie to my lovers telling them that I dreamt of them the night before, when in fact I've only had dreams about architecture since I was about 10 (almost 20 years ago), sad but so so true

Oct 28, 04 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i want to learn skeet shooting and until last month, i had never shot a gun before.

Oct 28, 04 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

- i love the Fountainhead movie especially the end when she is standing at the top of the mile high tower and roarke rides up that elevator, makes me swoon...

- i have realized that i don't want to create on my own i want to work with a partner. i came to the conclusion that by working with someone both individuals and ideas are made stronger, and that to stand alone will leave me to the madness of my own mind - from which there may never be a chance for me to recover.

- i like wheat thins

Oct 28, 04 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I find the rape scene in The Fountainhead (the book) incredibly erotic.

Didn't Madonna make a video of that scene, Justify My Love maybe?

Oct 28, 04 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I DON'T LIKE TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT I DO. I AM PRETTY SLICK AT AVOIDING THIS QUESTION.

Oct 28, 04 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
mimiz

I love belly of an architect, forget fountainhead

Oct 28, 04 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Pete Dawson

I added a post to that "hey all you fancy graphics lovers" Thread on Archinect.....the shame!

Oct 28, 04 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
thefauxed

i wish i was per

Oct 28, 04 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

1. as a teacher, i'm constantly afraid one student will know more than i do. about everything (not just one thing).

2. i'm always terrified the second time i show a client a design.

3. i'm hooked on the harry potter books (blame my kid for that one).

Oct 28, 04 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
dia

+ I've never read Deleuze
+ I've never read The Fountainhead
+ I have never taken any illicit substance, or nicotine, not even speed to keep me going through an allnighter
+ Theres plenty more, but...

Oct 28, 04 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Belly Of An Architect was great! Peter Greenaway is great!

Oct 28, 04 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i'm not an architect yet!

Oct 28, 04 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

The pick up line....
Hey, I'm an architect, wanna f**K.

Works everytime.

Oct 28, 04 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

okay it doesn't , but i had you going. okay , no i didn't.

Oct 28, 04 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Tom Helmut

I prefer fashion than architecture!

Oct 29, 04 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

Gustav ;
"Is the architectural education in the US so bad that graduates need to study everything all over again and take tests all over again to be registered. And who are the people that prepare these tests and what makes them any more expertly than any other architect?"

This is not just so in the US, it is so and been so for decades, architecture is no bad religion for that cause, it teach you that houses shuld not be just boxes and that when you find out what architects realy do, you get so bored that you use architecture to ecape.

Architecture is not about fancy visions and being a famous artist, it is counting windows and knitting rules, it is endless meetings and persenteage of buy. No wonder that much is build by building constructores not architects, realy often they are not to bleme even they ask for it.

Please even pastice need somthing to hang on to.

Oct 29, 04 10:45 am  · 
 · 
French

you mean pastis???!!!

Oct 29, 04 11:15 am  · 
 · 
.ml

Pastis is great!!!

Oct 29, 04 11:23 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

I hope Per never stops using the Google translator. If we were to understand him, the fascination would vanish.

Oct 29, 04 11:25 am  · 
 · 

confession: i am not fascinated.

Oct 29, 04 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Dan

I went to disney land and really had a great time. oh the shame

Oct 29, 04 11:36 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

1. I have posted about ninjas, dentists, and pirates on more then one
occasion.

2. the more alcohol I consume, the better my theoretical rhetoric sounds.

3. I never paid attention in two out of my three history & theory classes.

4. I almost got into a fist fight with one of the jurers in my final crit junior year because he said i should be a lawyer, renderer, or secretary in an architectural office "because not everyone is ment to be an architect"

I am still bitter about that last one

Oct 29, 04 11:46 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

and i cannot spell

Oct 29, 04 11:46 am  · 
 · 
urbanisto

Confessions:
I sometimes find myself thinking, that Mario Botta's buildings aren't really that bad...
And well, I start wearing grey shirts instead of black ones,
and the worst: I have no need anymore to visit architecture, read about architecture or talk about architecture in my spare time...
(Think I'm getting old)

Oct 29, 04 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
thewfactor17

1. I dip Copenhagen Long Cut.
2. I act smarter than I am, but at the same time think that I am really smart and really dumb.
3. I don't wear trendy clothes and worry that people will not think I am good at architecture because of it.
4. I always try to be extremely creative, even if I am not as comfortable with the design.
5. Architects are not nice people. But I too am self-centered and think I am always right.

Oct 29, 04 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

1. My precieved knowledge is far greater than my actual knowledge
2. I have been in denial over being hungup over an ex-girlfriend for the last year and a half of my life
3. When I go back home I tell people New York is great and I love living there but it's a lie
4. gulp, I think I'm a closet metro-sexual

I feel better now. Thank you.

Oct 29, 04 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

i've had three architecure jobs out of school...and i can't stand any of them.

i still haven't registered for IDP...2.5 years out of school

i think theory is more relevant than practice, which may explain my job woes.

i'm paying too much in rent in NYC.

Oct 29, 04 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

i have this nagging feeling that there are lots of people out there that can actually focus and work for 8-9 hours straight without starng out the window.

Oct 29, 04 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

or surfing archinect?

Oct 29, 04 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: