Archinect
anchor

Iterative Learning

BulgarBlogger

I don't know how many of you have learned this way - after all, we do come from a wide body of academic backgrounds, but I remember doing countless math problems (solving algebraic expressions) while growing up. This process taught me the method of solving these types of problems while seeing many different variations. 

In terms of applying this same method of iterative learning to training oneself in code related areas in the architectural profession, such as occupancy calculations and so on, wouldn't it make sense to have a text-book like workbook that has short, but numerous "problems"? And by numerous, I don't mean 10,20, or 50. I'm envisioning a book that is like 100-200 pages of just simple little calculations. Each of these calculations would be divided up into different areas of the code... Do you think this iterative style of problem solving helps train one answer questions better and faster rather than waiting for someone to present you with a project and going through the experience of the calculation once or twice, or better yet- not having any experience doing some of the calculations, but reading over the method once or twice in a textbook without any practice? I don't use any advanced mathematics in my day-to-day activities in the workplace, but I sure as heck think that solving algebraic expressions in the format I described above ingrained the method so much into my mind that I can sit down and solve most math problems that are put in front of me. What do you folks think about this and whether or not its a good suggestion for professional training?

Feb 19, 14 12:28 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: