Archinect
anchor

Composite wall panel dilemma

mirciu

Hello . 

I'm having a little trouble sorting out what kind of exterior wall panels i need for a project 
( university project, but i need to figure it out in detail ) . 

The building is a hotel  complex. The main structure is a composite steel frame - concrete casing ( steel columns and girders+shear studs are encased in concrete , with a concrete floor slab ). 

I'm trying to figure out what kind of composite panel wall i need. I'm thinking of a plaster board interior panel, moisture barrier, termal insulation, air gap and so forth ) but with a simple stucco type exterior appearance.

Most types of panels that i come across have a steel sheet exterior siding which is appropiate for warehouses , others show a brick cladding.

At the moment i'm thinking of the common SIP ( steel insulation pannels ) with a special cladding material that looks like classic stucco.  

Could you give me an explanation of the entire structure of what the requiered wall should contain , and / or an example ? 

Thank you very much. 

Feb 15, 14 4:50 pm
mirciu

Another type of pannel that i've come across is composed of two concrete sides, connected with a kind of steel lattice mini structure and a thermal insulation layer that looks like extruded polystirene to me ( not sure if i m allowed to post links to various producer websites ) . 

Feb 15, 14 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Post whatever you want. Where are you located? Here in the US everyone uses EIFS and it looks cruddy. Some insulated metal panels from Morin and Centria have a rough "stucco" finish.
Feb 15, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

Your in school and the project has no budget.  Look up the newest most expensive system you can find and use that.  If you detailing in school like you would in the real world you have issues beyond the questions proposed.  Look at double skin curtainwall systems they are always fun.  might also check out Jeanne Gang as well some of her stuff is pretty interesting.

Sep 19, 14 10:04 am  · 
 · 
t a z

SIP = structural insulated panel, http://www.sips.org/

ACP = aluminum composite panel (i.e. Alucobond, Reynobond) which is a material that is typically used with several standardized cladding systems.

As Gruen mentions, you seem to be describing EIFS (exterior insulated finish system).

All those acronyms cover a lot of ground, so you'll have to be more specific as to what you're looking for.

Sep 19, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Could also do a fiber cement rain screen.

http://americanfibercement.com/rain-screen

Sep 19, 14 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: