Archinect
anchor

rubber-like material

usernametaken

For a project, I'm looking for a cladding-material and a surface material (outdoors) that has a rubber-like texture and feel (seemless, slightly "bouncy") and is available in a broad range of colours. Does anybody have any experience with a material like that?

Oct 28, 09 6:17 pm
snook_dude

Trojan....makes alot of products you might find helpful in your school project...seemless, slightly bouncy, lubricated and textured to your ladies liking.. and if you want color ....they do that to. My experience has been grand....no kiddies running around that I know of.

Oct 28, 09 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

touche!

Oct 28, 09 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
LML

I've seen some surface material under playground equipment at a local park that might be interesting to use. Not sure what it is, but I bet the google knows

Oct 28, 09 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
LML

also, rubber mostly comes in black, but otherwise fits your description nicely. Pretty cheap too.

Oct 28, 09 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Neoprene?

this facade is done with rubber and kept in place with CD's.
013 by Benthem Crouwel in Tilburg

Oct 29, 09 5:44 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

the facade of 013 is EPDM, the roof covering-stuff... It doesn't quite have the right texture...
Thanks for the tips though. Even though I'm quite sure I'm not going to be able to convince the client to put xl-condoms on the facade of his building....

Oct 29, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
NLW2

What's that stuff they use in padded rooms? I know it's smooth, since it has to be easy to clean, and definitely gets the bouncy aspect... Not sure about any colors besides Creamy Ward though...

Check it out:
http://www.goldmedalsafetypadding.com.au/

Oct 29, 09 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
NLW2

It ain't bite proof though.

Oct 29, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Can you just use rubber instead of "rubber-like"? It does come in colors, at least for flooring it does.

Oct 29, 09 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Rubber could definitely be used, but technically speaking, I'm not sure about the application on facades...
I'd better contact a decent rubber-producer....

Oct 29, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Geof

I don't know if this example will help but if you haven't seen it you could look at NL Studio's WAS 8. I had thought it was rubber but when I looked it up it turns out it's clad in polyurethane resin. So seamless that they had to go back and cut out the doors once they put it on. Not bouncy though.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.08/what.html.

While I was trying to remember the name of that building I came across a building that DID use rubber on the facade, as soundproofing. It looks like they had to use rivets or something to keep it attached.

Oct 30, 09 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Geof

update: according to this the studs are only decoration to create a quilted effect, and it sounds like it could just as easily been kept seamless.

Oct 30, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 
Geof

Also:

Oct 30, 09 1:31 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

silicone?

Oct 30, 09 1:45 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Um, is that rooster freaking enormous?

Oct 30, 09 9:24 am  · 
 · 

office dA used some sort of rubber material on one of their houses

Oct 30, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
pvc

, i.e. vinyl?

Oct 30, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

PVC isn't rubber-like in my opinion. PVC uses doesn't retain shape once stretched.

I mean the term rubber is loosely a class definition for a variety of polymers that exhibit certain qualities.

So, I'm not entirely sure how you can have a non-rubber rubber unless you mean non-natural-latex rubber?

Oct 30, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Hmmmm...maybe 'Rubber'

Nov 4, 09 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Advanced Cladding

I have used www.cladding.co.uk

They have a flooring colour picker. Check out http://www.cladding.co.uk/products/hygienic-flooring-systems/advanced-advacast-flooring.html

Jul 9, 10 6:37 am  · 
 · 

The house by ofc da was epdm - a money-saving strategy, if I remember, though I expect it brought it's own complications. Especially at the slit window opngs.

Jul 9, 10 7:10 am  · 
 · 
binary

epdm doenst look good when you have to splice/patch the ends/corners.... i was an epdm roof inspector for 2 summers and between the prep/glue/patch, it's hard to make it look good...unless you have a person that really cares and you tip him/her a lot

Jul 9, 10 11:00 am  · 
 · 
thx1138

Sarnafil G476 SA

http://www.sarnafilus.com/index/waterproofing_w/systems_ws/self_adhered_ws.htm

self adhering, hot welded joints AND it's cushy

Jul 10, 10 4:29 am  · 
 · 

Let me put this into proper perspective.

Dec 11, 14 9:29 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Not that I have the answer, but most the rubber type stuff has two real issues:  Flame spread (and noxious vapors when burning), and that to maintain that bounce, it uses oils.  Those oils dry out and stuff cracks. 

I also know cars can use vinyl covers instead of paint.  So maybe a vinyl sheet stretched over a metal or composite substrate (like a alucobond panel using rubberized vinyl instead of a foil).  You might talk to them.  Here's a photo of it going onto a car...  you can do something really artistic too since it's essentially a decal.  Lots of racecars use this.

Dec 11, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Oh, and by artistic, I really do mean that.  You can graphically change how the base shape looks... Love this vinyl on a bus.

Dec 11, 14 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: