Archinect
anchor

Question about Corten steel.

ordchicago

How should Corten look as a new material?

Feb 6, 14 6:11 pm

Rule #43: No new member can start a new thread until they've made 10 posts.

Archinect, please.

Either that or I'm just going to start going off on first time posters who somehow can't figure out how to use google.

Feb 6, 14 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

It all depends.....does it have a mill finish?

Feb 6, 14 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

It should have some stamps on it which call out the metal..., A606.  If it hasn't been degreased then it will look  kinda slate black.  I would post you a picture but I don't recall how to post pictures here....

Feb 6, 14 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

yellow

Feb 6, 14 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

it kinda looks like new corten steel

Feb 6, 14 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I am a strong supporter that all corten steel should be painted bright pink.

Feb 7, 14 8:01 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

can you galvanize corten?  that might fix that problem where it starts to look old and dingy

Feb 7, 14 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Forget CorTen -- CorTen sucks.   All the cool kids are using CorEleven.

Feb 7, 14 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

^ Polished to a #1 finish.

Feb 7, 14 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
ordchicago

Thank you for the responses... I wasn't aware of this rule and only posted because I couldn't find any reputable sources online.

I ask this because I had a sample sent in from a Corten (A606) supplier that seemed to be half pre-rusted, half un-rusted. I was wondering whether it was typical to install Corten un-rusted and let it rust naturally, or if I should order from a company that supplies Corten pre-rusted.

Feb 11, 14 3:36 am  · 
 · 
LethalMonk6

CorTen is a trademark, the generic name for it is weathering steel.

It comes un rusted weathers(rusts) extremely quickly.

Feb 13, 14 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

New corten looks like new steel. Old corten looks like rusty old steel.

If the sample is half rusted, they are probably trying to show you what it looks like new and old. 

Only difference is that corten's rust stops at some point, supposedly. 

The rust dripping off corten will stain anything underneath it, so buyer beware. 

Feb 14, 14 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Like steel.

Feb 14, 14 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

ord:  Corten Steel  doesn't just look rusted overnight.  It has to be exposed to the weather. 

You have to design it such that water does not sit on it. Water should sheet away from the material, or you will have it rusting thru over time.

You also have to use the proper welding rods when welding it.  Otherwise you are creating a weak point at the joints cause they will rust thru over time.

You can get it to rust quicker but the chemical mixture can be a bit messy.

Also most steel comes with  a coating of oil so you have to degrease the stuff if you want it to rust faster and more uniformly.

Feb 15, 14 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
rhjrick

Corten Concealed Fixings

Hi, I should like to specify Corten for a house on the southern coast of Australia. I want to avoid using preformed interlocking  200-400 panels.

I should like to use  3x1200x3000mm sheets 'with concealed' fixings. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you                   

Jan 20, 16 2:55 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Jan 20, 16 4:16 am  · 
 · 

Magnets.

Jan 20, 16 9:03 am  · 
 · 
greener1

Hi,

We've recently installed a new Corten wall that serves as a planter approximately 26" high that directly comes into contact with a new concrete retaining wall. The Corten plate overlaps the concrete about 4" and has corten steel directly in contact with the  concrete.  I'm afraid of the rust spreading into the zen like smooth coat concrete.  Any suggestions for a barrier or coating that I can place in between the Corten and concrete or ?

thanks

Aug 26, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
mtdew

If the corten planter overlaps the concrete. I don't think you can avoid the rust runoff. You need to control the water from the corten with a linear drain or strip of gravel bed.

Aug 26, 16 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You could paint the cor-ten steel planter a charming rust color? Or, any other color for that matter.

Aug 26, 16 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Wash the wall with some CLR.  Nothing really is "maintenance free"

Aug 26, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

you should have designed a waterproof barrier between the two materials.  Concrete is known for holding moisture so it is going to suck the rust right into it when it dries out after a rain and a warm spell.  Oh those pesky Details!  

Aug 26, 16 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
greener1

Thanks for all the suggestions...

snooker-doodle>   Not too late. Just installed yesterday.  So something like a dupont homewrap between the steel and concrete?

Aug 26, 16 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
davidfroman

We are planning on replacing a large portion of the siding on the south side of our home in Colorado with Corten steel (7/8" corrugated) as part of an exterior remodel. Up here at 8,500 ft elevation we get very strong sun.  Should we expect a significant heat gain on our interior?

Jul 10, 17 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

I'm just going to leave this here (emphasis mine): https://www.ussteel.com/produc...

"Why Not COR-TEN® in Architectural Applications? Consistent with United States Steel Corporation's ("USS") policy over the last two decades, U. S. Steel reiterates and reminds that COR-TEN® steel sheet products should not be sold when the intended use is for an architectural application, such as roofing and siding. U. S. Steel has consistently maintained this position because of the risk of corrosion from factors beyond the control of the COR-TEN® steel licensee (e.g. improper design, fabrication, erection and/or maintenance).

Reasons

• The tight oxide skin of COR-TEN® Steel reforms after abrasion from snow, ice, sand, dirt and hail.
  • Acid rain also causes the skin to reform.
  • As the skin reforms the product actually becomes thinner and eventually will be perforated.

Application

• Special attention must be paid to the drainage of storm water to prevent staining of surrounding structures, sidewalks and other surfaces.
  • COR-TEN® Steel must be kept free from debris such as leaves, pine needles, etc. These waste products retard the wet/dry cycle necessary for COR-TEN® Steel such that corrosion is accelerated and the product becomes thinner until it is perforated.
  • As the skin reforms, the product actually becomes thinner and eventually will be perforated.

Energy Efficiency

• Although COR-TEN® Steel is totally recyclable and has a high recycled content, it has very low solar reflectivity.
  • In other words, COR-TEN® Steel is a hot roof, and therefore inconsistent with environmental "cool roof" programs that aim to minimize energy consumption, urban heat islands and pollution."
Jul 10, 17 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

" U.S. Steel deliberately placed the massive steel columns on the exterior of the building to showcase a new product called Cor-ten steel. Cor-ten resists the corrosive effects of rain, snow, ice, fog, and other meteorological conditions by forming a coating of dark brown oxidation over the metal, which inhibits deeper penetration and doesn't need painting and costly rust-prevention maintenance over the years. "

Jul 10, 17 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Sneaky, you're confusing structural applications (steel shapes and plates, ie. thick members) with "architectural applications, such as roofing and siding" (sheet steel, ie. thin sheets). The structural steel column won't likely rust through, but the thinner roof or siding panels will turn into swiss cheese.

Jul 10, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm not confusing anything, but their lousy disclaimer and lack of explanation / supporting documents are causing confusion every day I'm quite certain. Also the US Steel Building discolored the concrete and they didn't like it. I love Cor-ten, I just find architects hilarious when they use a naturally evolving material and then complain, causing the company to have to say really nicely "Hey, idiots, use your brains instead of your lawyers."

Also can we stop using the term "Architectural" to mean "Aesthetic"? Thanks.

Jul 10, 17 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Ugh, sorry, having a bad day and I took it out here. My apologies.

Jul 10, 17 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

No worries. If you make a T-shirt that says "Hey idiots, use your brains!" I'll buy a box and wear them to work every day.

Jul 11, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

shiny mirror finish

Jul 10, 17 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: