Archinect
anchor

office sustainable policies

marmkid

I was wondering if anyone had any sort of office sustainable policies in place that they followed?  I am looking to get something going in my office and feel that I need to have it very well organized if I expect anyone to get on board (we tend to be a slow moving group when it comes to these sorts of things, and will most likely include a lot of hand holding by my part to begin with)

I noticed the AIA 2030 Challenge, and that seems like a decent place to start, since it gives an established list of criteria.  Does anyone’s office participate in that?

I feel like if nothing else, that gives a list of to-do practices that, since not just thought up by myself, will more likely be followed than if I came up with my own list.

Anyone else have any sort of experience with something like this?

Jun 7, 11 5:21 pm
drums please, Fab?

if it's yellow let it mellow

if it's brown flush it down

you're welcome :)

Jun 7, 11 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
thedisgruntledarchitect

Yes, my office just went through a "greening" certification process with an organization in the city.  It was quite intense and I spearheaded the effort, so I remember it quite vibrantly.  I would suggest looking at this website and perhaps contacting them for some of their information and credit requirements.  It's pretty thorough so it would be a great place to start.  If you contact them, ask for Anthony, he is a director of programs and he will be very helpful:   Illinois Green Business Association, http://greencu.com

Good Luck!

www.thedisgruntledarchitect.wordpress.com

Jun 7, 11 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

thanks!  I will check out that site.  How did it go for your office?  do you think it was successful and everyone kept up with it?

FRaC
Thats more of a way of life as opposed to an office policy :)

Jun 8, 11 9:43 am  · 
 · 
thedisgruntledarchitect

Its mostly a front end intensity.  It required a lot of policy writing for the office, changes in product purchasing and equipment usage and letters to clients and consultants letting them know about the changes and what will be different about our offices after the certification.  Some of the policies were drastic, others not so much.  it depends entirely on how green your operations and approaches were before the process started.  The certification we went through outlined what we needed to do.  Think LEED in terms of having categories and points for doing certain things listed in those categories...you just choose what you want to implement and there is a minimum to be certified.  Its basically LEED for office operations. 

Once it is all done, its just an issue of following and implementing which is not difficult if you choose a few number of employees to be responsible for certain policy implementation and follow through.  Then it just becomes a way of life. 

Jun 8, 11 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: