Archinect
anchor

Thin face frame windows? OR Hiding frame behind stucco return

madesign

Looking for a window manufacturer who make windows with minimal frame face width (standard/ wider sash face is ok).  The homeowner/ client wants good, thermally efficient windows--has been looking at German brands--but all I am finding domestically or abroad are quite bulky visually and would not suit the 'old world' look we are going for on this house, where the frame at the exterior would usually be hardly visible.  We'll be wrapping the window return with stucco on three sides (bullnosed), with a stone sill.  Although the budget for this project is decent, we cannot afford full custom assembled windows.  The window material will likely be aluminum exterior with wood interior.

The other option we are considering is going with a thick frame window but burying the frame behind the stucco return on sides and top.  The bottom of the frame, however, remains an issue per weep at bottom of frame, usually requiring the whole bottom of the frame to be exposed.  Any assistance appreciated!

Dec 26, 13 3:32 pm

Consulting starts at $250 an hour plus 1/2 time for travel.

Dec 26, 13 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
You can always go steel. Crittal makes a great window with all the thermal properties of modern day units. You can get them through Grand Openings out of Dallas. www.grandopenings.com ask for Michael if you want a window man that really knows his stuff.
Dec 26, 13 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

" 'old world' look we are going for on this house, where the frame at the exterior would usually be hardly visible"

You will achieve most of the things you are talking about with steel sash. Even then.. Why can't the clients leave the old world alone? We are somewhere else now.. Anyway, talk to HOPE'S and if West Coast, Torrence Steel

I don't think the stone sill would be so offended by a piece of steel bottom rail sitting on top and weeping at him. That's why they are there, to direct the water outside of the building. It also helps to open windows... Yeah, it might be pricey but the old world look is expensive to recreate. How do I know this? I worked on couple of residential preservation projects in my time that needed new steel sash replacements to maintain the thin lines and the weight of the fenestration which were essential to the project.

"The window material will likely be aluminum exterior with wood interior."

The rest can be regretful alternatives.

Why am I responding to your post? Because I was just killing some time. Maybe it can help you to make your mind and refresh my memory on dealing with window manufacturers.

Dec 26, 13 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Crittal and Hope's -- same corporation.  Hope's is U.S. market ...  Ive used them -- very good.  However, quality steel windows do not sound like part of madesign's budget. 

Dec 26, 13 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Why not do a double width sill so that the top piece buries the bottom part of the frame.  Between the actual sill and the top sill there could be a .25" gap for weep.  The top part could have an L shape so that it hides the gap and appears as 1 thick sill.  Not sure if that was clear..

Dec 26, 13 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wish I could draw on here.   We need an archinect sketch function...

Dec 27, 13 12:02 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

In other words the top piece of stone would be .25" away from the face of the bottom return .25" away from the real sill, and at the front of the sill would "bend over" the actual sill with a .25" gap from the front part of the actual sill...,the top piece of stone would be a rotated L shape on the exterior of the window and possibly another one on the interior.  

Dec 27, 13 12:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: