Archinect
anchor

Zaha Ahoy!

Naval architecture by your favorite parametricist. As if shoes and wine glass tables weren't enough.

Oct 16, 13 5:03 pm
citizen

A boat full of holes... only a starchitect could be so visionary!

Oct 16, 13 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

I do kind of appreciate the tension between Zaha's instincts and the relentless requirements for symmetry and balance required in a yacht. it's really fighting to be something it cant

but i'd take a B60 sloop by Pawson anyday...

Oct 16, 13 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

It's been done already (2 years ago, actually).

http://www.charterworld.com/news/hyunseok-kim-designed-mega-yacht-voronoi

Oct 16, 13 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Although Zaha's version has more of a WW1 dazzle camouflage vibe to it...

Oct 16, 13 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

That's just ridiculous.

Oct 16, 13 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

LOL, citizen.

I'm with EKE.  It's really getting ridiculous.

Oct 17, 13 8:52 am  · 
 · 

... but fun!

Oct 17, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Given many starchitects'  inattention to minor details such as waterproofing, I predict that that conditions shown in the posted image would last about an hour.  After that, the roof plan would show just the water.

Oct 17, 13 10:51 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

This shows how capricious and arbitrary this kind of parametric bio-mimetic eye-candy really is.  Anyone who has any knowledge of how yachts function knows this is formalism of the most shallow and superficial kind.  It's become mass-consumption branding.

Oct 17, 13 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I agree, EKE. I certainly wouldn't want to be on that Zaha yacht in seas higher than a meter or so. All that glass area close to the water line? YIKES.

Not to mention all the water-collection (i.e. leak enhancing) depressions in the S.S. Zaha superstructure. This thing was clearly designed by someone who lacked even rudimentary knowledge of boating and marine environment design requirements. Look at the bow pulpit area on that thing: almost no bow flare, a forward raked bow, and that blended pulpit leading right into a big bowl with no major outlet. It's like they put a stern cockpit right at the front to accelerate it sinking in head seas. One medium-sized wave over the front end, and that thing is going straight to the bottom.

We must assume that if any boat yard actually tries to build the S.S. Zaha, the final product will only tangentially resemble these renderings. It might have a few swoops on it here and there for branding verisimilitude, but nothing like what we see in this image would ever be made by a reputable yacht builder.

At the least the Korean voronoi thing has a lot of freeboard and a decent hull design (and thus would be a reasonably seaworthy vessel). It's stern area and swim platform are a bit weird and would be pretty bad in large following seas (if a wave hit it on the butt while the stern was squatting, the situation could get pretty hairy), but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it sinking. The voronoi superstructure would give it a lot of windage in a blow, but there are ways to deal with that.

Oct 17, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Besides... why should a luxury pleasure yacht look like a bundle of connective tissue in the limb of some alien life form?  This is further evidence that we are hitting the Wall of Terminal Weirdness.

Oct 17, 13 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Donna Sink it

Oct 17, 13 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

If you think it is bad, you need to sink her PR and marketing dept., not the yacht. Otherwise you are just a fair game for that kind of a machinery and they know it.

Oct 17, 13 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

"a lot of windage"

Excellent metaphor for parametricism.

Oct 17, 13 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Touche'

Oct 17, 13 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: