Archinect
anchor

Vancouver Architecture?

(Apologies if this has already been 'covered' in the forums. A quick search didn't turn up anything.)

Does anyone have a good map of Vancouver's best architecture? I'm planning a weekend trip (from Seattle), and I've only been able to turn up the most basic listings (such as this one from tripadvisor)

There must be more! Any tips?

Aug 5, 13 6:22 pm
observant

What is displayed is in a very compact walkable area.  I'd say 3, 5, 7, and 8 are the most interesting, and the CP Railway station (6) on Cordova is an interesting older building.  Add Erickson's 2 or 3 block long Court System building south of there (looks a lot like Robson Square). There are tons of new residential high-rises, both on the West End and in Yaletown, but since they sort of look alike, they are rarely published and may not be interesting.  If you go east of Gastown, the area goes downhill in a few blocks and Vancouver's least fortunate seem to be along Hastings, east of Gastown.

While not exactly architecturally distinctive, there are remnants of the Expo 86 buildings, BC Place Stadium (looks like any other with an inflatable roof), and the art deco City Hall at around Cambie and Broadway.  Queen Elizabeth Park has a conservatory and is known for its excellent gardens, as well as a view of downtown with the mountains beyond it, so it's more about landscape architecture.

If you will have a car:

The UBC campus has quite a few interesting new(ish) buildings and Erickson did their museum of anthropology, or some such thing, on the campus, but it is SW of downtown.

There is also some notable modern custom residential architecture, typically found on the north shore, and SW of downtown in Kitsilano and around Marine Drive, again, near the university.  There are also large mansions in historical styles in the same areas - in Point Grey, Kitsilano, and around Marine Drive south of the university.

If you are into public transportation design, you can check to see if any of the BC Transit rail lines have architecturally interesting stations.  Lastly, since the Canada Line of the transit system goes into the airport, you could look at the main terminal at YVR if you like airports as a typology.  It is definitely British Columbian.

Aug 5, 13 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the tips.

I managed to find some pretty incredible stuff. The Arthur Erickson projects were the most impressive, I think - the Museum of Anthropology as mentioned, as well as the Law Courts and the Evergreen Building. I did have a car - and I went out to SImon Frasier University Burnaby Mountain Campus (Erickson's masterpiece?) which is an amazing Brutalist fantasy city on a hill. Really, really great. 

Also a pleasant surprise: Christ Church Cathedral. Great interior.

Aug 16, 13 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

I also found this insane map, which seems to cover just about every building in the city:

http://goo.gl/maps/KcQTp

Oddly, they're listed by address, with architect/building name/date in the description. Still, a good resource.

Aug 16, 13 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: