Archinect
anchor

Arch. School Theft - Your Thoughts...

ctc3b

Recently, I had a sketchbook stolen from an exhibit at the school that I teach in. This has been a profound loss for me. Six to nine months of my work and thoughts have been taken. I can not say with 100% certainty that it was someone within the school, but it most likely was. 

While I did struggle with placing my sketchbook within the exhibit, I came to the conclusion that it was best to share the work with the school. I never thought there would be such dis-regard for creative work within a school of architecture. The sketchbook was secured enough to discourage theft, but not so secure to suggest a general distrust. however, if someone wants something bad enough they will find a way to get it.

What are your thoughts about work being stolen within a school of architecture? From a tenured professor? from other students?

May 27, 11 3:55 pm
tricks

That's no good. Sorry for your loss - as for thoughts about stealing.. I'm not sure what you're looking for other than just venting some frustration. I'm not sure what kind of person would steal a sketchbook, perhaps it will pop up again, or perhaps you have some enemies(!)

May 27, 11 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
postal

wow, wtf !?  Those are my immediate thoughts.  That's just kinda disgusting imho.  I mean, it would be hard to believe that an architecture student would take something like that.

I was thinking the other day about what would happen if my house was on fire.  #1 Family safe?  #2 Laptop and backup drive out?  Our work is so important to us, and even though a lot of my school work means near squat to my career now, the thought of losing it would be like losing whole years of my life.  

sorry to hear it happened to you, ctc3b, i guess you never know what people will do.

May 27, 11 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

This is the type of loss not too many people can relate to, it's almost on the edge of feeling personally violated since it is one of the most personal items we probably own.  It has both tremendous emotional value and of course the ideas within it have tons of value as well.

The person who stole your sketch book lacks much self respect.  The reason why I'm so sure of this is because he/she does not believe that he/she may ever be capable of producing this type of work.  They want your ability, fortunately for you, you maybe able to replicate this in another 9 months while they will probably never get there, not even with ten lifetimes.  Their approach to life is completely erred and this will cost them greatly, not once,  but many times.  

Sorry for your loss - what a shame.

P.S. Architects know how to steal too.    

May 27, 11 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Endooo

This is absolutely disgusting. What utter lack of respect, and for someone who teaches within the institution too! I'm sorry for your loss. I really hope the sketchbook turns up or the person who stole it is caught. Theft of creative work is the absolute worst.

May 27, 11 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

That really SUCKS. Unfortunately, at both of the schools where I have studied, I have seen it happen multiple times. From purses/wallets to external hard drives and laptops to student work. Something similar happened to me at my school's end of year exhibit, but it was something I could easily reproduce again (i.e. print out and bind).

I knew a kid who even stole someone's MODEL from an exhibit and had the audacity to take/break apart pieces of it and remake it into his own because he had a pin-up the next day and hadn't done jack-shit for it.

if there is a silver lining: stealing your sketchbook is easy (logistically speaking) but for that person (the thief), acquiring virtue, respect and meaningful relations with others becomes arduous and those are things that cannot be stolen, purchased or easily had.

May 27, 11 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

This reminds me of a couple of years back when my bag was stolen in Madrid right from under me. Only thing in it was my sketchbook, a few pens, and an 8 euro pair of sunglasses. I even searched the trashcans near the place it was stolen to see if the thieves had dumed it after realizing there was nothing of (monetary) value within. 

But what happened to you in even more despicable IMHO. The people that stole from me probably wanted money. But for someone to knowingly steal years of your work? WTF? So sorry for your loss. 

May 27, 11 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i had a classmate who's bitching model of the commerzbank was lifted.

i had some punk ass summer studio sh*t steal my slides from europe. i got those back.

sketchbook is a weird thing to steal. other folks chicken scratch and notations are useless, unless the thief happens to be a bizarre artist...

May 27, 11 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Median

It is very unfortunate, as a current architecture student there has been a lot of theft in the two independent architecture schools I have been to. Many students have had their hard drives and thumb drives stolen. A $20-$60 gain for the thief results in semesters of lost work for the victim. I had a friends who have had monitors stolen, one friend who had their RAM stolen out of their computer and another friend who had his lock cut on his locker and his macbook stolen.

It really is appalling, some people are real scumbags.

May 28, 11 2:23 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I can sympathize. This past academic year there was a theft epidemic that has been officially labeled as grand larceny. At least one item was stolen from each of our studio desks including mine - anything from drawings to a ceramic bowl to a box of drafting tools. Not sure what to make of it...

May 28, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Sorry ctc3b.  If it means anything to you copy your artwork before you exhibit it at school.  Unfortunately many of us have stories of theft at school.

May 28, 11 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

that totally blows. but you have to look at the bright side. you must have some serious talent if some thief looked at your work and said "i gotta have that!!"

May 28, 11 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

anybody wanna buy a sketchbook with some really cool stuff in it???

May 30, 11 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
cooliejc

It is unfortunate that you lost your sketchbook... I would be ticked off too.

That being said, this is a perfect example of the lesson my grandfather (the artist) and my studio professors drilled into my head time and time again: never get too attached to your work. This seems like more of a personal attack than your average pick pocketing, but nonetheless it's a good reminder to leave your ego at the door when walking in the studio.

May 31, 11 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Thieves are everywhere.  You had some misplaced trust issues.  I imagine you have now learned a difficult lesson.

May 31, 11 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

How was it even attached to the table?

How do we know that  it didn't become dislodged from its "security feature," wound up on the floor and the janitor threw it away or returned it to lost-and-found?

May 31, 11 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
ctc3b

A piece of mason's line was laced through the binding with a piece of copper tubing at one end. The knot on the tubing was super glued to not be untied. The other end was screwed to the model stand. It also had four binder clips to show which pages to look at. Someone removed those clips. 

Someone had to work very hard to remove it from all of that to take it and had to take a long time doing it. There was no dislodging or mistaken throwing it away from a gallery.

May 31, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I had a friend who was a pre-med student  three years into school. He was in a Lab Class and left the room to go take a leak and when he came back to his lab table all of his Lab Notes were gone.  He looked around the room and everyone was working away taking no notice he had just walked back into the room. He stood there for a moment, then out stretched his arm and swoped it across the lab table knocking everything to the floor. Everyone turned startled turned to see what was going on.  At that very moment he announced in his booming voice, "I don't what to be a Doctor with a bunch of Cheats."

He walked out of the lab, left school for a year only to return the following year to study

Journalism.  Since school he has gone on to an admirable career in Journalism with

many awards for him and for the staff he directs.

May 31, 11 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: