Archinect
anchor

Ladies...show us your power tools

My girlfriend had a 4 pc craftsman set, she has a wide range of plumbing and electrical tools. I just bought a hammer a few weeks ago. Knowing full well that the stereotypes we are subjected to only exist on tv, I ask kindly...Ladies show us your Power tools.

Jun 10, 08 4:03 pm
binary

(.)(.)

Jun 10, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not to derail the thread, techno, but these days my power tool is this guy in the foreground:

he does all the work I need done. So the answer for your SO might be: techno, show us your power tools!

But having used many tools in the past: Keep it simple. nothing too heavy, that's my main advice. DOn't bother with pink or whatever makes them more girly, better to get good functionality. Cordless obviously; there is a new screwdriver that recharges in 90 seconds, I think I read about it in Wired?

And good well-fitting leather gloves. It's psychological, but I feel stronger when my hands are protected. The gloves are OK in pink.

Jun 10, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

I may be derailing my own thread by asking what is that building. Ando in Texas? I think I might do a French lady marrying the Eiffel and hump that thing.

Jun 10, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
archroma

I had a tile saw.

The ex kept it when we split. He never used it, but his new wife does. I am not even bitter about it. I swear.

Jun 10, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

everyone should buy Festool - end of story.

Jun 10, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

my mom has a full set of power tools building her own home in the wilderness i can get a picture

Jun 10, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Her Saw Zaw
Jun 10, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Studio Granda

, Reykjavik (sp?) City Hall. Waaay better than it even appears in that picture; it's awesome. Sadly that seems to be the only pic of my husband I have - tons of my son, though!

Jun 10, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles still has my power tools

Jun 10, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wow, this thread could horribly wrong - shocked it hasn't already; you're slipping mdler, slipping hard.

Jun 10, 08 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable
binary

i could be wrong due to the speed of the bit/clip

but the is drill is spinning backwards at 0.25 wtf........

Jun 10, 08 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

And Stephen Hawking doing vocals. . .

Jun 10, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i came to realize that i dont type what i'm thinking what i saying

dyslexcia/add kicking in

Jun 10, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Well, you type a mean set of hooters. . .

Jun 11, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

I thought this was going to be another image posting thread...oh well.

Jun 11, 08 12:48 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Hmm -- is that an alien wall plug on the charger ? (I like to talk dirty sometimes.)

Jun 11, 08 12:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Of course you said what I was thinking, beta - I wondered when the first "working girl" picture was going to show up.

As with all things female, it's a fine line when it comes to giving gifts. Personally I'm more insulted by the pink tool kit posted above than by the girls above it. If I was given the pink drill kit as a gift, I'd be embarrassed to use it. Other women, of course, would get a huge kick out of the pink and find it funny, smart, and a sweet gesture.

That said, I own a pink digital camera that my husband thought was ironic, and I love it.

As Pixelwhore said, Festool is unbelievably good, but not cheap, and - bonus! - are snappy-looking bright green. Worth looking in to. into. in to. damn

Jun 11, 08 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Husband stole all of my tools, and my tool box. Thats ok, though, since he does all the work with them anyway. My manual tools are now made by All-Clad and Wustoff, and my power tools are Kitchenaide and Cuisenare.

Jun 11, 08 9:52 am  · 
 · 
binary

is purple the new pink?

cause gray was the new black .....according to last years spectrum convention

Jun 11, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

lb : my apologies for the pick tool kit. the picture was a bit gender insensitive. :)

this one's a bit more rugged...

Jun 11, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, come on, no girl who would use a grinder would do it without a bra. Those sparks hurt like hell, and I know, I can weld.

Jun 11, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

hah! good point Sarah...but a guy can dream, right?

Jun 11, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

magenta baby

Jun 11, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
postal

sarah, you think she can feel those?

Jun 11, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

is it wrong that I think the Festool Kapex is sexy? If only that was reason enough to justify a $1500 compound miter saw...

Jun 11, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah you just went up several notches in my book, you use similar tools to be (KitchenAid et al) and you weld...sexy!!

Jun 11, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Why thank you, Techno.

Jun 11, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

wow I just found out what a rasp is...I'm so technically lame when it comes to diy

Jun 11, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i use a rasp to grate parmesan cheese.

Jun 11, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

wow - Festool Kapex KS 120.
talk about techno-lust.

Jun 11, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

on a side note...... make sure to wear leather shoes when welding... i had a wire drop and melt through my sacony shoes and get stuck between 2 toes....... not cool......

and beware of tile/palster wire mesh in older homes..... i have a few scars from a section that fell on me during a renovation....

Jun 11, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito
LB

what the...? i need to work in Iceland!!!, Studio Granada 5 girls vs 2 guys?? thats why u have to love Iceland!! i love how in charge of things girls are over there....

Jun 11, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

is GRANDA sorry...

Jun 11, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm sorry I'm so late to this party, but I have to say, I like that pink power drill. I'd like it even more if it matched my pink tool belt:

Also, Pozcatek, I like boys but even *I* am mesmerized by that video. Seriously, it's hot.

My own tools include a comprehensive tool kit that's not great quality but has lasted me a long time, a power drill with battery issues, a Dremel, and a table saw (that I left at my Mom's). Funny story about the tool kit, I was supervising a Habitat for Humanity build several years ago and they never have enough tools at those things, so I brought in my own tool kit. Tools have a habit of disappearing at those job sites though, and I was determined not to lose anything, so I wrapped rainbow tape around all of my tools, knowing full well that the boys wouldn't touch any of them. Well it worked, they didn't use them and I was the only person there not to lose a single tool. And they still have the rainbow tape! :o)

PS. Do sewing machines count?

Jun 12, 08 3:18 am  · 
 · 

I love my sewing machine - my mother got it right before I was born so I consider it a heirloom of sorts.

Jun 12, 08 8:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Rainbow tape on tools, absolute brilliance! I was hoping you'd post your pink toolbelt, DubK!

MAD, the great thing, well, one of many great things, about Iceland is everyone there is 6' tall, blonde, and gorgeous. I {heart} Iceland.

Wasn't there a very sexy video ad for work jeans or somesuch floating around here recently?

I used my partner's Festool hand drill yesterday and was reminded that yeah, they're pretty amazing.

Jun 12, 08 8:36 am  · 
 · 

If you watch This Old House a lot of times you'll notice they've got a lot of Festool stuff. One time they showed the insides of their trailer and it was full of systainers. If their circular saw took standard blades I'd buy it, but the fact that I can't run to the Depot to pick one up makes it less attactive, moreso when I discovered the EZ Smart Woodworking system.

Jun 12, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

my younger brother has a serious, serious crush on Amy Matthews from the DIY network.

Jun 12, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I wish I kept this or could locate it online somewhere... but when I used to work landscrapin', husqvarna would send us a calendar every year that would have the strangest girls in the most ridiculous poses holding husky tools.. like a girl in torn off stone-wash jean shorts and a wife beater sitting on top of a stump grinder on a dock dangling her feet in the water, or one in a sting bikini and goggles running a brushcutter in stilettos.

Jun 12, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 

Amy Matthews ain't no Kari Byron, thats for sure!

Jun 12, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
MADianito
LB

i dunno wish for countries with all blonde people, im a diversity kind of guy but i can dig tall girls, im 6`3" myself so they're always welcome... and yes i have couple of Icelandic friends and i always wanted to visit...maybe in 2 years... this year is the Mediterranean and next Asia, so... maybe in 2, or whenever i get single....hehehehehehe

Jun 12, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

Pixel, is Kari Byron the fine young lady from Mythbusters? or am i way off? because if she is, then i fully agree with you.

Jun 12, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

yup, that would be Kari Byron!

Jun 12, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

fantastic...the rigs they think up on mythbusters are pretty great: i don't think Amy Matthews could step to her on the technical end, either.

Jun 12, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

i just found some scantily clad pictures of them both - maybe for the archinect calendar we can put some regulars in swimsuits and powertools (a disaster waiting to happen - think garwondler)

Jun 12, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

the previous mentioned construction clothing ad

Jun 12, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

I have no problem with either Kari Byron or Amy Matthews doing unmentionable things to me with a bench saw or drill press...cause well I must be dreaming if they'd be doing anything to me.

they are hot!

Jun 25, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I just bought one of these today to assist me in redoing the wood trim in my bathroom. I love it. So much so, I may ask it to marry me tonight over a candle light dinner. ;o)

Had I known I would have bought one of these last year when I redid my stairs. Makes life so much easier.

Jul 19, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have one of these...... nice to get in the corners and cut off little things...

Jul 19, 08 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: