Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Entasis79

So, it looks like I will be a 2009 commiserator as well!

I applied in 2007 and I am currently a MArch. But, I will be throwing my hat into the ring again and seeing what my options are. I look forward to getting an ulcer all over again with all of you!

Here's to the 2009 application process! CHEERS!

May 17, 08 5:58 am  · 
 · 
chaz7

I was wondering how many schools people typically apply to. Ive been looking at the references that you need and every single school is different in its format and requirements, making it a nightmare for professors and referees, no?

May 18, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

somewhere between 20 to 30 is probably right. Better get started, chaz.

May 20, 08 3:08 am  · 
 · 
wittyusername

just kidding. I went with 6.

May 20, 08 3:12 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

last year I did 4....too little

this year (as of now) I have a list of 14...probably too many

I'll probably go with between 6-10.

But who knows, since I have most of the application material done already, I may be able to pull of applying to more than 10. Its just a question of finances.

I'd say, just make a prioritized list, and apply to as many as you can, starting with the schools at the top of your list.

May 20, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
jhk

yea, i've managed to narrow my list to about 7-8 schools as well.

anybody going to summer programs this june, i.e. gsd disco, gsapp, etc? i was wondering if it was worth the cost and time...

May 20, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
jhk

i've heard mixed reviews, so i'm wondering what y'all were up to or whether you've had any experience in the summer studios.

May 20, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

it seems like the summer program is great way lend more legitimacy to your portfolio , especially if you a non-archie...I think they will take you more seriously if you have already spent some time in their studio...

May 20, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I too am RE-commiserating this year.

I deferred my acceptance to Pratt (post-professional) until fall 2009 because it's very expensive even with a scholarship

My 2008 Stats:
Rejected from: UCLA, UC Berkeley, GSD
Accepted to: Pratt

I'm reapplying to the three I was rejected from and maybe a few more. If that doesn't work than I'm going to Pratt!

Welcome everyone to an adventure where you will learn how to deal with doubt, patience, anxiety, excitement and other people that think they know everything about graduate programs!! Good Luck!!

May 22, 08 3:21 am  · 
 · 
pistolera

opinions, please. applying for fall 2009, b.s. arch engineering in 2004 from UTexas at Austin, working at an arch/eng consulting firm since then.

my question is: i am eligible via idp to start taking the are tests (won't start til after the revamp in july). is it worth it to start taking them now, if i'm applying to an M.Arch 1 program for fall 2009? I could get structures out pretty easily (at least i effing ought to), and maybe one or two others before applications are due. help or hurt or complete meaningless waste of time?

May 22, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

My stats might help many of you feel a lot more ok with your GPAs..

two years of community college in NC 3.0 GPA
Finished undergrad in marketing from UNCW 2.39 GPA (ouch!)
3 quarters of UCLA Extension Interior design 3.6 GPA (helps, but)

I'll be attending LAIAD's grad prep program for the next two semesters to help me put together a portfolio. I'm really hoping this will be my "ace in the hole" experience. I need to have a superlative portfolio to outshine my GPAs. I have 6 months so far of full time interiors intern experience at a good arch firm in LA. I'm trying to set a date to take the GRE but the website is confusing about the upcoming test dates (any help?) that don't seem to yet be set for the summer and fall.

I'll be applying to public schools mostly. Since I'm already gonna have debt from ID school and grad prep. I put together another post about "the easier schools" one might consider to diversify my applications, so any of you might check that post too if you are in the same boat (sunk) as me

May 22, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

pis...have you even started your idp credit? if not, then thinking about the ARE might be a waste of your time at this point.

May 23, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
tauhaus

asbuckeye07-

Are you responding to my post above? i think you are confused my friend. I'm interning for experience and a paycheck, not for idp credit. and i'm trying to take the GRE not the ARE.

if you are referring to someone else's post, then I guess i'm the confused one and I apologize

May 23, 08 11:14 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

was replying to pistolera's post, not yours

May 23, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

and on that note: pistolera: i havent looked into the details yet, but i was STRONGLY advised by my coworkers to apply for IDP BEFORE the revampt. so...you might want to think about that.

May 23, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
pistolera

i have already got my 700 units for idp. (sans the community service). so i'd be ready to go as far as are is concerned.

May 23, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
pistolera

not to mention that i've already paid the ridiculous idp fee for the first three years. which i'll have to extend, and extend, and extend, depending on when i get into grad school, and if i ever finish grad school.

May 23, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

pistolera - maybe you could sit for the ARE next summer... you could use the time you are waiting to hear back from schools to study. Personally, I'd be spending all my free time between now and the fall working on my applications.

May 25, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
pistolera

thanks for the help. i suppose you're right . . . i'll have all of 2009 and the rest of my life to take the are. i guess (sadly) studying seems like an easier option than actually writing a good personal statement.

May 25, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
ShooterM

Cornell University BArch
University Scholar
Overall gpa: 3.88
Studio gpa: 3.9

Great portfolio, great recs, lots of work experience, unique background.
Looking at AA, Columbia, GSD, MIT, Penn, Yale. Thoughts?

May 27, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

ha!

RE:
"Cornell University BArch
University Scholar
Overall gpa: 3.88
Studio gpa: 3.9
Great portfolio, great recs, lots of work experience, unique background.
Looking at AA, Columbia, GSD, MIT, Penn, Yale. Thoughts?"

give up now cyklopz2!!!....why waste your time...besides, the world needs trash men too.

May 27, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ShooterM

why waste your time on a post that is neither funny nor helpful?!

May 27, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I think lesser was making fun, because your post sounds like you are showing off or something...If everything is so "great", then what is the point of asking for thoughts? ...or even posting at all..

May 27, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Looking good there cyk....

I have similar stats...however, do not come from an ivy league background. So i have to imagine that counts for alot.

Im applying to similar schools, and actually did so last year without luck. word to the wise...curb any sense of cockiness (and im speaking of myself last year and not implying it from you) and you'll be fine.

May 27, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i am a university scholar also. i always thought it wasn't a big deal and seems rediculous to put on an ap. am i wrong?

May 27, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
ShooterM

Actually, I humbled myself earlier. To be clear (Blackharp) but not to brag (ff33º), I am a Meinig Family Cornell National Scholar (National Scholar for short).

This award is the most selective of three scholarships available to Cornell University undergraduates (two percent of the UG population). The scholarship is given to those who have proven themselves to be excellent influences and leaders in the campus, community and world.

I find this information more valuable than any number, and I will most definitely include this in my application as it is desirable in any field. Blackharp, are you referring to GPA recognitions, because yes, in that case I find them more or less useless since the GPA and class rank already provide that distinction.

May 27, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

fucking nerds

May 27, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

sorry about that , i 'll leave you guys alone...You just sounded so pretentious....

btw, its called commiserating , not masturbating.

May 27, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

uhhh...who calculates a studio gpa? sounds like a bit much.

Post your portfolio cyklopz and show us all how great it is.

ff33...aren't you glad you don't have to go through this again this year?! Did you find a place to live in LA yet?

May 27, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh hey archca26.. I don't know why I am on here,, just bored at work. I am so glad I don't have to do this anymore....and anyway..no ..I didn't yet..somewhere in little bitchey ass westwood , most likely... Maybe you'll be there next year! Good luck with MA2! I have no idea what they are looking for ... but maybe i can ask around?

May 27, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

ff33...I'm pretty much convinced it was my shitty portfolio and applying to the all the best schools. I'm not as stressed this year because I have an acceptance to Pratt already. I'm not sure if I'm applying to UCLA...sort of want to get out of LA. We'll see. Keep heckling the smart kids...makes me feel better especially since my studio gpa was only a 3.7!!!

May 27, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey ff33....do you drive around your old high school in your trans am picking up 18 yearolds? I do.

easy on him guys...I was that "pretentious guy" last year...and he'll find out quickly that there's more to life than raw stats...or maybe there's not...who cares?

May 27, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

only 3.7!?...man!? how do you live with yourself? ;-)

anyway, as we all know... grades don't matter, blah,blah,blah,..neither does the GRE, blah blah, ...its all about the portfolio blah,blah.

May 27, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

and i dont know about your guy's "studio gpas"....but where I went it broke down like this:

A's to one or two obviously awesome people, and B's to the other 10 people in the studio...and F's to those who dont show up. Architects are too good for grades, among otherthings.

May 27, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

May 27, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I broke it down like this: Who cares! Studios are about receiving feedback and critiques on your work not about a letter grade.

Like my second year prof said "most professors have your grade figured out the 2nd day of studio...so stop worrying about it.

I do applaud the accolades for community leadership work though cyklopz...just remain humble about it!

May 27, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

thats what you've gotta love about those high school girls....

you get older they stay the same age...

Took me awhile to muster up one, but I did it. All i could think about was: "eatin' some pizza...learnin' bout cuba"

May 27, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
ShooterM

GPA is calculated on a 4.0 scale: A=4, B=3, etc (and letter grades are distributed much like you said). This is Cornell's university-wide system. If you re-examine my posts you can see that I am answering questions and providing facts. If you guys do not care for one who is not here to complain about his faults then EXCUSE ME. I'm providing the information the same as everyone before me, am I not? Have some common respect for people and stop acting like you know my personality through an archinect post.

May 27, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

don't worry, we respect you...post your portfolio and humbly ask for feedback, and you will make a lot of friends here, guaranteed.

May 27, 08 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
A V

lol cyklopz sounds like the biggest nerd ever!! hahaha.

May 30, 08 11:07 am  · 
 · 
A V

oh my god!! i know who cyclopz is.... He's Andy Barnard from The Office!! A huge dorky show-off who also happend to go to Cornell. lol!

May 30, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

actually, his digital portfolio is pretty sick....so maybe he doesn't actually need feedback or commiserating..or anybody.

May 30, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
xacto

yea that portfolio is pretty sweet...

May 30, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

clean portfolio. i don't have a full one but i will ask what you think about a freehand from my first year: http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/charlescupples/?action=view&current=DSC01738.gif

May 30, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
cartagena7

Not bad at all, blackharp.

Can someone let me know what software is good to put together the portfolio.

May 30, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

You guys are brutal....

Hey there big tuna

May 30, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

damn blackH...you made that motorcycle look so real!

May 30, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

cyklopz2-

I apologize if my comment set a tone of disrespect toward you and your comment. I intended my comment to be more of a friendly banter rather than a jab at your acheivements.

May 30, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

yeah it took me hours to make those motorcycle pictures. i used pastels and vellum.

May 30, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
va bene

cartagena- Adobe InDesign

May 30, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: