Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

DreamDesign

Anyone holding up admission at Cornell M.Arch I. Anyone going to decline it ?

People on waitlists ? What other schools are you holding till then ?

Thanks !

Apr 29, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

ok so sci-arc open house....

the first couple hours were Q&As with students and faculty

some of my take aways..

students: "we chose to come here beacuse of the innovation, culture and faculty / we spend all of our time at school / we love it here"

faculty: "this is a rigorous and challenging program / we are interested in producing a certain type of architect, not a certain type of architecture / we want to push you to the edge so in turn you are able go to any distance you want"

next, we went on tours of the building...

lots of studios, lots of pin-up gallery spaces, big installations, pc & mac computer labs, big production facilities.

after that, was a mix of off campus eating at local eateries, of which sci-arc is well postioned, and strolling through all the pin ups and undergrad thesis critiques, all of which were pretty amazing.

finally a reception with food and beer at 7 in front of the graduate pin ups.

i had a great time, met super nice and interesting people and was very impressed with the faculty and the students.

Apr 29, 09 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

still on Yale's waitlist. I accepted to Berkeley on the 15th pending Yale's decision. These extra 2-3 weeks of stress I did not need...

Apr 29, 09 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

rocksauce -

today i called the yale office and they said to expect a decision by monday. also, on gradcafe, someone was accepted this morning off the waitlist but declined. no actual acceptances off the waitlist posted on there yet, so there's still hope...

Apr 30, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
DreamDesign

Is today going to be the day to hear from Schools... Or do we get pushed to Monday !!! Another Killer Weekend or Not ? Let's see time will tell :-)

May 1, 09 8:10 am  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

hmph. looks like another killer weekend.

May 1, 09 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

when I was growing up my dad hired this guy to fix up an old '68 dodge that he bought. The car was in really terrible condition, basically a rusted frame and crappy interior, broken glass etc.

Well this guy did really good work but it took him the better part of 2 years to finish the car. When it got towards the end of that 2 years my dad started getting a little impatient and started pushin him a bit to get him to finish. Every time he called the guy would say some part is 'comin in on thursday' and that the car was almost ready. He pulled the thursday move for a few months before finally finishing.

Yale has a case of the thursdays

May 2, 09 12:19 am  · 
 · 
sandiego

Anyone else still waiting?

May 4, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
DreamDesign

I'm still on waitlist !

May 4, 09 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

yes.... still waiting for yale...

May 4, 09 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Vizious

I'm still waiting to hear from Sci-Arc's waitlist. Anybody on the waitlist hear anything from them yet?

May 4, 09 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
pourstone

Still waiting for a call from Yale, or that dreaded email.

May 4, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
monarca

Vizious29, I'm waiting to hear from the Sci-Arc's wait list too for M.arch 1. No word from them yet. Shelby emailed me Friday and said they would be notifying via phone or email ASAP when spaces become available. Which program did you apply to? Best of luck to you!

May 4, 09 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Vizious

monarca, I also applied for M.arch 1, I actually called in today and Shelby told me they had a "surprisingly high rate of positive replies" from M.arch1 so that there were probably only about 7-8 positions left in the class. She also told me that in all honestly the way things were looking I probably wasn't going to get in this year, because I wasn't in the "top group" of waitlisters, but that it wasn't final yet. I suggest you call her if you want to find out were you stand, I bet she'll give you her honest opinion, hopefully it's better than mine. Good luck.

May 5, 09 12:53 am  · 
 · 
DreamDesign

No news for people on waitlists ???

May 7, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

no news here. the yale admissions office said the end of the week will be when we hear, but they've said things like that before, so we'll see.

May 7, 09 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
shay

im still waitlisted for Parsons Pratt and SCI-ARC......hurry it up already!!

May 8, 09 10:05 am  · 
 · 
pourstone

From YSOA: "I wish to inform you that at this moment, the School of Architecture has filled its class for the 2009-2010 year and our expectation is that this will not change. However, in the unlikely event that this situation changes, we may contact you.
Should you wish to re-apply for the 2010-2011 admissions process, please check our website beginning August 2009 for further information and details.

We appreciate your interest in the School of Architecture and wish you well."

May 8, 09 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
kaysc

I just heard in my office that SCI-Arc let someone in off the waitlist today. Good luck to those still waiting!

May 8, 09 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
shay

yeah i just called SCI -ARC...doesn't look too good

May 8, 09 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

received the same email as you pourstone

May 8, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
shay

Parsons or Pratt....anyone hear anything???

May 11, 09 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
monarca

Don't know if too many people on here applied to Cal Poly Pomona, but if you did have you heard a definitive yea or nay? I take it it's a nay for me being that it's so late, but thought they could at least get back to everyone that applied with a decision.

May 13, 09 1:19 am  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

monarca-

i'm waiting to hear from cal poly pomona, too! though i already accepted at UCLA so i'm not holding my breath.

still, i think it's completely ridiculous that i haven't gotten a decision yet ... not even notification that i'm on the waitlist!?!?

May 13, 09 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
m2p

i haven't heard from cal poly pomona either.
my application status still reads "academic review".

May 15, 09 4:06 am  · 
 · 
monarca

Just got accepted to SCI-Arc M.Arch 1 off wait list this morning!!! Now I can finally rest my brain.

Jun 2, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

Congrats! Good for u!

Jun 2, 09 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
letgo

wow! congratulations!

This gives me hope that I'll get off the waitlist soon as well.

Jun 2, 09 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

congrats monarca!

Jun 2, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

congrats monarca!

join the party....http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69492222759&ref=nf

Jun 2, 09 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

this is probably more for the benefit of 2010 applicants and beyond:

i JUST got my rejection letter from cal poly pomona.

yes, it's august.
yes, i submitted my application back in february.
no, i was never wait-listed (or at least, never notified of such).

the letter stated that they only had 18 M.Arch I spots this year.

like i said back in may, i wasn't holding my breath for an acceptance; in fact, i've already started workshops @ UCLA.

still, i can't help but think nasty thoughts about a program that doesn't notify its rejectees 'til after most schools have already started.

Sep 16, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

HELP!

The 2010 Commiserate thread is DEAD, I tell ya!

I'm sorry to post here, but I was hoping the 2010 thread would be as active as this one, but it's not turning out like that... I just have a lot of questions and no one to field them to. And you guys are all experts now :)

Here's some questions, hopefully someone can help:

1. Every school I'm looking into has online applicaitons. I am still working on them...Do I need to submit ithem and pay BEFORE I ask recommenders to send in their letters?

Or will the school start making a file for me once they get a few letters from people?

2. The GREs... according to the Kaplan book, I'm doing ok, but according to Barrons, I'm in the 300s! How can I tell what the 'real' test will be like? (Also, all the GRE spots in my area are booked... I'm gonna have to call every day to see if there's a cancellation. I hope it all works out.)

Thanks everyone...

(Oh yeah, I'm applying to Columbia, UCLA, Penn, Rice, and maybe Parsons and Pratt...)

Oct 21, 09 4:31 am  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

HELP!

The 2010 Commiserate thread is DEAD, I tell ya!

I'm sorry to post here, but I was hoping the 2010 thread would be as active as this one, but it's not turning out like that... I just have a lot of questions and no one to field them to. And you guys are all experts now :)

Here's some questions, hopefully someone can help:

1. Every school I'm looking into has online applicaitons. I am still working on them...Do I need to submit ithem and pay BEFORE I ask recommenders to send in their letters?

Or will the school start making a file for me once they get a few letters from people?

2. The GREs... according to the Kaplan book, I'm doing ok, but according to Barrons, I'm in the 300s! How can I tell what the 'real' test will be like? (Also, all the GRE spots in my area are booked... I'm gonna have to call every day to see if there's a cancellation. I hope it all works out.)

Thanks everyone...

(Oh yeah, I'm applying to Columbia, UCLA, Penn, Rice, and maybe Parsons and Pratt...)

Oct 21, 09 4:31 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

SBeth,

1. It was my understanding that you do not need to have submitted the application in order to have a file generated. I definitely had recommenders uploading their letters before I finished my stuff. If I recall correctly, the online recommendations send your recommender a website URL linked with your application.

2. Firstly, I wouldn't stress too terribly over the GRE scores. How do you define "your area"? Can you take it in a neighboring town/city? Regarding the books... if you're really concerned about figuring out what the "real" test is like, you might want to get your hands on the Powerprep (ETS; the test administrators) software (altho I believe you receive this free when you register, but it might arrive too late); ETS also sells a book, I believe. I used the Princeton Review GRE book and was pleased enough. One thing to keep in mind, and a thing that the books can't replicate in their practice tests, is the way the computer functions as you take the test (if you miss a question, you're given an easier question, etc).

Oct 21, 09 9:28 am  · 
 · 

bump

Mar 21, 12 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: