Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Entasis79

VERY NICE MIKAN!!! Awesome! Congrats.
See you soon man!

Apr 14, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

just wondering - is there anyone out there who has definitively turned down yale? i've accepted at ucla, but i am clinging to hope of getting into yale off the waitlist. i know there are many others in my position wondering the same thing; if you know you're not going, could you make a quick post?

Apr 14, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

along those lines, i've turned down spots at rice, ut-austin, and pratt, for those waiting at those schools.

Apr 14, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

congratulations mikan!

inigo-i also accepted at UCLA. YES!!!

i have turned down spots @:
U.Michigan
U.Oregon
ASU

though none @ yale, sorry inigo.

PS: i'm STILL waiting to hear from cal poly pomona. i would never pick the program over UCLA, but it boggles my mind that they STILL have not finalized admissions offers, when most schools have an april 15th decision deadline!?

Apr 14, 09 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
kaywris

anyone going to PENN??

Apr 14, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

inigo-i turned down Yale, hope you get my spot. Good luck.

Apr 14, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

for waitlist people, i turned down gsd, pratt and yale (waitlist). good luck!

Apr 14, 09 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
aa11

I turned down Yale too....a few weeks ago though

Apr 14, 09 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

congrats everyone once again! i went to a lecture tonight and came back so inspired by architecture once again. damn, i juuuuuuuuuust can't wait till sept. i so wish tomorrow was first day of class. i am so pumped for all the all nighters, migraine thumping, abusive rip apart presentation sessions, i'll take them all! AHHHHH! soso excited.

giantclam, i JUST saw your post to the #of credits/units. wow, 140 in 3.5 yrs. at gsd???? i'm starting to understand why we can teach with a m.arch 1 degree now. it's like we're getting a masters and a ph.d all in one. so in the end, all this workload is worthwhile, makes sense.

ballyhoo, where are you going outta curiosity?

Apr 14, 09 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

still waiting on the Yale limbo, i mean waitlist - supposedly the 20th is the magic day

Apr 15, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 
alarisch

Well here's the final score:

Cinci - Out
IIT - In
UIC - Out
Kent State - In

Going with Kent State. Got into the MArch/MBA program, but might just do the MAarch due to time and finances. IIT just cost too much for 2 years (even with living back with the parents outside of chicago) for me to feel comfortable with it.

Apr 15, 09 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

kaywris, I'm going to UPenn.
..did not attend the open day though. Did u?

Apr 15, 09 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

Still waiting for my Kent State letter to arrive in Seattle... I applied to MArch/MBA as well- did they notify you of both in that letter? I was told several times we'd be receiving separate letters and that our apps weren't being forwarded to the School of Management until after they sent out the MArch letters. hmm...

I'll be visiting both Kent (if I am accepted) and UK/Lexington next week and am pumped to get this show on the road and move on with my life...

Apr 15, 09 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
alarisch

minime:

I had to call them yesterday to find out since IIT needed a decision by today. They mailed the letters yesterday as far as i know. The woman I spoke with had to send a correction letter once I brought to her attention that what she had emailed me didn't mention the dual-degree.

Apr 15, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

Puckman27: This is somewhat (okay, incredibly) frustrating to me- I've been emailing/on the phone with them for weeks... and since postal takes 7 days to get here, I requested a .pdf to be emailed to me (per their suggestion) only to be told they would only email to my kent.edu account which I don't have! I'm in a similar situation with limited time to decide... I set up a meeting with Diane during my visit, and was hoping that was a good sign. Perhaps I'll call again, thanks! And CONGRATS!!

Apr 15, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

oohh!

after finally rcvg. fin. aid info from USC today I have decided to go with CCA :)

It feels weird to have picked something!

Apr 15, 09 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

good choice la_la! congrats!

Apr 15, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
kaywris

Andreas AT , i'm actually waitlisted at penn. the open house was actually really nice. the people there seemed really awesome. the body of work that was shown that day was a tiny bit 'blobitecture' to me, but overall i think it is an excellent program. i like that there're so many opportunities to cross over. there are several certificate programs and dual degree opportunities.
if i do get off the waitlist (fingers crossed) i'll be very interested in the arch/landscape dual program, which takes 4 years (instead of 6 if you do them separately)

Apr 15, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

IN at USC! wonder what took so long

There hasn't been a tally in a while, but since mine is essentially final...

UT- IN
SCI-Arc - IN
Pratt - IN
USC - IN (with $$$)
UCLA - Wait-list
Parsons - Wait-list

Bachelor of Environmental Design
Texas A&M University
GPA: 3.24
GRE: V-490 Q-650

Good luck to everyone facing a tough decision, and congrats!

Apr 15, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

congrtas blake smith! so i guess you're a cali resident? awesome

Apr 15, 09 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

Puckman27 and MINIme:

1st off....I have NO IDEA how you heard from the School of Management already, they haven't made any concrete decisions yet. You may have been accepted into the Dual degree but I bet you anything that the School of Management still has not made the decision...(FYI they rarely if ever decline application to M.Arch applicants so there isn't much worry).

2nd, got my letter last saturday, signed the contract and turned it in monday...Sandy Hetzel got fired for some unknown reason on Tuesday, meaning the proverbial shit is going to hit the fan. From what I have heard there were some applications that were late getting back from the Graduate admissions office and will be sent out by friday. The school will be in disarray with sandy's departure.

MINIme, Kent (city) mail is notoriously slow, there are still students here that havent received their letters so don't get frustrated yet...DEFINITELY CALL!!! either stroh or diane, they will know what is going on and may let you know of your status.

Puckman...Congrats I will see you this fall. If you guys have any questions send me an email. Since i'm here on campus i may be able to help you with any questions

Apr 16, 09 6:57 am  · 
 · 
MINIme

puckman & abc: I called yesterday, and it only increased my frustrations, haha. Very interesting about Sandy's departure... is it rude to say I'm not surprised based on how she treated me over the phone the several times I called? I was told yesterday they were literally reviewing my application right then, and I should call back around 330pm EST. I called back at 4pm EST, and then was promptly told, "Oh no, it will be a few days before a decision is made. They are meeting with the School of Management now, that's why." Out of curiosity/impatience, I asked her if that implied I was admitted into MArch, and if she could tell me over the phone since I have rapidly approaching deadlines and a visit scheduled (knowing Puckman was told this way). All I got was a "No, I can't do that. Your letter hasn't even been written yet." Seriously?! My application was recorded as complete the first week in January.

The positive in this all is that I won't have to rush home every day expecting a letter to be waiting for me. The downside is that I probably won't receive my official letter before I travel across the country for a visit a week from today, which is just plain annoying.

Was there any financial info in your letter? When do decisions have to be made by?

Thanks guys, and once again CONGRATS (to EVERYONE!!)!

Apr 16, 09 11:17 am  · 
 · 
alarisch

abc: You are correct about the Management school. I just got off the phone with Diane discussing how the environmental systems classes the undergrads take there would work out with the dual-degree (there's not much wiggle room to get it all done in 2 years), and she said that the business school doesn't make a decision until after the Arch school sends theirs out.

minime: I haven't received the letter yet, but hopefully it will come today (it shouldn't take more than 2 days from Kent to Columbus).

My apologies for increasing your frustrations minime! I figured at this stage of the game they would have had everything figured out (probably why Sandy was let go). Perhaps I should be pointing fingers at abc - he said he got in first! :-)

Apr 16, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
jineapplepuice

I have a question for all applicants:

your statement of purpose- was generally the same throughout your applications or it was well crafted to each and every school you applied to?

Apr 17, 09 12:53 am  · 
 · 
george

Anyone else getting their trip paid for by SCI-ARC to the open house?
I already accepted to Columbia, but still would love to go check out the west coast vibe. Love the work they're doing there as well, but Columbia's research labs really grabbed me. Here's to 200k debt.

Apr 17, 09 5:51 am  · 
 · 
alarisch

jineapplepuice: can't speak for everyone, but mine was pretty general throughout the statement, with a paragraph that was geared to each specific school (why you're interested, what you want to to there, yada yada yada). This will save you some time. Make a "template" draft and work from there.

Apr 17, 09 8:51 am  · 
 · 
ocotillo

jineapplepuice, my letter was nearly identical for each school (with the exception of a couple details), because my goals did not change depending on the school i was applying to. i knew what i wanted to pursue in school, and I wanted to present myself honestly in light of the programs' respective philosophies.

Apr 17, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

"mine was pretty general throughout the statement, with a paragraph that was geared to each specific school (why you're interested, what you want to to there, yada yada yada). "

Ditto.

Apr 17, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
binary

if your spending over 40-50g's for grad school... you might want to rethink it....fyi

Apr 17, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

Good to hear the open day was ok Kaywris.
I did not have the opportunity to cross the dam for it..

True what you're saying about opportunities. I'm quite fond of the IPD program myself.
I'm M.Arch I, but hope to involve it in one way or the other.

My fingers are crossed for your waitlist exit.

Anyone else heading for UPenn?

Apr 17, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

georgev,

i wish they were paying for me to make that trip. thankfully i visited sci-arc last summer, back when i could actually afford the travel.

did they offer you a scholarship?

Apr 17, 09 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

anyone heard from Yale about waitlist status yet? supposedly monday is the day...

Apr 19, 09 2:02 am  · 
 · 
jineapplepuice

If any of the successful M.arch I applicants want to graciously post their portfolios here that would be fantastic. Thanks to those who already have.

Apr 19, 09 10:14 am  · 
 · 
brer

I chose schools based on the cities I most wanted to live in. My favorite city is Boston so for '08 I applied to MIT & GSD and was denied. I widened the net for '09 and added Seattle (UofW) and Chicago (UIC) and was again denied from MIT, GSD, as well as from UofW but was accepted to UIC, where i'm very excited to be going in the fall.

bite-sized portfolio:
http://drop.io/o6xiref

Apr 20, 09 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

Congrats to everyone who was successful in this years adventure. It appears I will be joining next year's party after my unsuccessful attempt this year. I hope to join the party next year!

Apr 21, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

:( sorry to hear that imsleepy. would you mind if i ask you where you applied to this year? having an extra year isn't a bad thing, it'll only make you a stronger candidate :)

Apr 21, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

U of Minnesota
WashU
Pratt
UWM
Miami(OH)

I knew I was a borderline candidate due to my under achieving GPA but I figured I'd give it a shot this year with an eye on next year if it didn't work out. It was disappointing but I knew it was possible and I have learned a lot and plan to do a much better job of selling myself next year based on this experience.

Apr 21, 09 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

in at LTU, the only school i applied to.

btw, i'm fairly certain that they offer conditional admission to pretty much anyone.

Apr 22, 09 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

shuellmi, what made you decide to apply to only 1 school from your original list of 10?

Apr 22, 09 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
mikylee

am I crazy to turn down Syracuse for MArch1 and go to Univ. of Maryland?

Apr 23, 09 10:55 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I decided that I couldn't turn down the money I was getting from my employer, which meant staying in this area. $6,000 a year isn't a ton on money, but combined w/ a good job i'm happy with it.

Apr 23, 09 11:41 am  · 
 · 
arkitect.wannabe

mikylee - syracuse is so much betterrrr :P i've decided to go there so im a tad biased :)

Apr 23, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

so i talked to someone at yale and they said that those on the waitlist would hear some sort of response by tomorrow (friday). whether this means rejection, acceptance, or more wait-and-see, i don't know. has anyone out there who is still waiting heard anything?

Apr 23, 09 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

I heard from GSD yesterday... they're not accepting anyone off the waitlist. Don't know about Yale though.

Apr 24, 09 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
sandiego

how about GSAPP's waiting list?

Apr 24, 09 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

still waiting on yale...

2 weeks ago admissions said over the phone I would get an email by the 20th. I called the 21st and they said the end of the week - no emails thus far.

what are they forensically testing my portfolio or something?

Apr 24, 09 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
CAD Mangler

Well, as fun as all this was, I eventually had to make a decision, and it was U of Oregon. (Then only ones I might have picked over it were UW and UT Austin, and those two "weren't so into" my application).
Anybody else going to U of O?

Apr 25, 09 3:05 am  · 
 · 
joearch8

MikyLee,

I don't think you're crazy. Maryland was my top choice....It's an up and coming program and very competitive.

Apr 26, 09 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Could anyone who attended the SCI-Arc open house give an account of what went down? If possible, could you post it sometime today (have to let another school know by tomorrow)? Thanks!

Apr 26, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

rocksauce et al -

anybody hear something from the yale waitlist yet???

the wait is agonizingly long, particularly given the dearth of info.

Apr 29, 09 12:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: