Archinect
anchor

Source / version control

What does your firm use to source (or version) control your drawings? I know that Autodesk offers Vault, but it seems like that might be overkill for small projects.  Do you just do the old fashioned way by implementing a file naming convention?

I went to graduate school for architecture, but now I'm a designer for a software startup.  I can't imagine how I would work on code collaboratively with my co-workers without Git and GitHub.  I'm struck that simple source and/or version control would be really important for architects (especially because in school I remember having folders filled with version after version of the same .dwg)...thoughts?

May 14, 13 11:47 pm
curtkram

keep an 'old files' folder.  whenever you want to keep an old file, move it to the old files folder.  only 1 drawing in the root folder, or 1 version of any given file in the project's root folder.

if you have a bunch of copies of something in the cad file (iterations), use a non-plot layer to try to identify why or what they are.  when you move forward with one, delete all the shit you're not using and move what you are using to somewhere where 0,0 makes sense.  you can copy the file with the iterations to the 'old files' folder.

May 15, 13 7:41 am  · 
 · 

Makes sense. Is this a common workflow?

May 15, 13 7:50 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

This is a major issue for architectural firms, and nobody's come up with a good/easy solution to it yet.

May 16, 13 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: