Archinect
anchor

Ugly residential houses in Russia.

How can I explain, that pointed roof houses with red brick facade are very ugly. People think, such houses are extremely modern and their tastes in architecture are disappointing me. Why they don't want to have houses like in Europe or USA. I mean modern house with flat roof, interesting composition, nice facade made with metallic sheets or beautiful concrete.

This situation is close to story in "fountainhead" wrote by Ayn Rend.

Apr 12, 13 4:46 pm
accesskb

ummm... beside architectural magazines/books, most houses in USA/North America have pitched roofs also xD

Apr 12, 13 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan
Accesskb, the question is that even people with money want such houses. Interiors with ionic columns are killing me.
Apr 13, 13 2:20 am  · 
 · 
ciao

you have to sell it to them, or stay away from such clients

Apr 13, 13 2:29 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

If it makes you feel better, the grass isn't greener - 99.999% of homes in USA / Canada are the same. 

At the same time, modern / current design isn't ever going to appeal to everyone, and that's ok.  We don't all need to have the same tastes.  Variety is the spice of life.  If everyone lived in a flat-roofed concrete box we'd be longing for the gables and columns and wishing we had clients to ask for it.

Sounds like all you need is to find the firm that is doing that kind of work in your area, and try to get a job with it.

Apr 13, 13 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Hike, the flat roofs only work in dry, hot climate zones.  Everywhere else they're a nuisance - they leak, crack and do not provide enough of an insulation pillow.  Plus, you can fit tons of useful equipment under a pitched roof (air conditioner, heater, etc.).  I think the problem with the contemporary Russian houses, especially for the "new Russians" is not the roof, but the absence of taste from either the designer or the client.  From what I've seen in "Salon Interior" the designers use pictures from American magazines to create separate room "vignettes" without any regard to overall style of the house.  I don't know if this is done at client's request or on their own but it sure looks ugly :)

Every country has its own "ionic column".  In the US it's the colonial style McMansion :)  Take a look at my projects.  There's a Tudor house I did for a wealthy family from Russia in the US.  No ionic columns there :))

Apr 13, 13 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

pointed roofs with red brick facades...sounds more like houses in America to me.

Apr 13, 13 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan
Thanks for responses. I agree with you. Even pitched roof houses can be designed great. The problem is that client wants to have house like the neighbor or other 80% of people have. People buy German, American cars, but they don't know what the modern house is. I think it is the problem of taste, I mean in my country (not sure for other world). For example viewing houses in architectural webs I see many examples from Europe, America, Asia etc, and very little of them from Russia. And this problem is not concerning only private housing. This question worry me, as a man starting architectural expierence.

Sorry for my English )
Apr 13, 13 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan
Thanks for responses. I agree with you. Even pitched roof houses can be designed great. The problem is that client wants to have house like the neighbor or other 80% of people have. People buy German, American cars, but they don't know what the modern house is. I think it is the problem of taste, I mean in my country (not sure for other world). For example viewing houses in architectural webs I see many examples from Europe, America, Asia etc, and very little of them from Russia. And this problem is not concerning only private housing. This question worry me, as a man starting architectural expierence.

Sorry for my English )
Apr 13, 13 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I don't want to Live in Victoria's Houses....they make me  want to scratch all over.  Look like they come out of a catalog book for the new wealthy.  There is no connection to anything....spiffing up the ole dungeon.

Apr 14, 13 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

The client always knows best. That's why they hire you.

Apr 14, 13 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan
Miles, sometimes I am not sure, why I have been studying for 5 years, when client knows everything and can built a house.
Apr 15, 13 12:45 am  · 
 · 

snooker-doodle-dandy, with all due respect these houses were not designed for you. Sometimes the client follows your lead, sometimes they lead themselves. If you want to stay in business you have to adjust the way you think with every client.

Hike, the clients can tell you what they want and it's your job to make it visually pleasing. 

Apr 15, 13 10:14 am  · 
 · 
randomized

There are plenty examples of contemporary pitched roof houses, even with red brick facades. You'll just have to design 'em ; )

Mar 26, 14 6:18 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Victoria,  I'm still in business...after 20 years.

Mar 26, 14 7:55 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Victoria, did you design these, or are they photos of existing projects?

Mar 26, 14 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: