Archinect
anchor

Architects Stamp in California

joshuacarrell

Just got licensed. I was reading about the requirements for what your stamp looks like and other than the content and size, it seems like an open ball game. Has anyone out there seen a stamp that is anything other than the ones being sold by the rubber stamp company. Is it bad form to be tongue in cheek with what your stamp layout is?

From the Calilfornia Architects Board website:
Q: Is there a required layout within the circular design for the terms and information required in an architect's stamp?
A: No. However, the stamp must be readily legible and all information must be contained within the 1" - 2" diameter circle.

Jan 3, 08 7:21 pm
joshuacarrell

For example:

Jan 3, 08 7:22 pm  · 
1  · 
treekiller

congrats mr. cookie!

Jan 3, 08 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Fogey,
Well noted, one down for letting the rubber stamp company determine the layout.
Although to be perfectly honest, in my current office, the stamp means anything from "I am a trustworthy, solid professional" to "This is the first time I have seen this and it looks alright, and if there are problems they will probably catch it in plancheck..."

My example is extreme, but honestly, does everyone just buy the default and not "monkey" with the stamp. I mean the law gives you practically cart blanche to lay it out how you want, even to include symbols, so why not?

j

Jan 3, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
knock

I have "monkeyed with the stamp" ... not overwhelmingly, but enough for the desired effect. Its amazing what you can do with just font, effects, and graphics on your stamp that give it the sense of legitimacy, but works with the rest of your graphics and associated drawings. Illustrator is an amazing thing, isn't it? Why send your stuff to a stamp company when you can just place the vector file right into your CAD drawings? Does anyone wet stamp anymore?

Jan 3, 08 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In some jurisdictions one is required to both stamp and seal the drawings, so while not a wet stamp it *is* a physical act. I wonder if one is allowed to monkey with the seal layout?

For both my stamps I've gone default, but think designing one of your own - making sure you think it will still look quality in 60 years - is a great idea.

And Mr. joshcookie: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Great job, and doesn't it feel wonderful?

Jan 3, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

@knock,
Illustrator is fun, and the electronic stamp I am working on does exactly what you are talking about, match font and line styles so that the stamp looks like a conscious part of the drawing... not like the decomposing stamp I posted here; that one is a joke- the outer circle actually reads "please don't sue me" over and over again.

Thanks LB,
It does feel great to finally be here, where I actually have to make stupid little decisions about what I want my stamp to look like :)
j

Jan 3, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"please don't sue me", that's hilarious.

And not a bad subliminal idea....

Jan 3, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

congrats cookie!

FWIW, i still wet stamp quite often, for a variety of reasons.
i picked a style and went with it - i kinda like the banality of their standard offerings...

Jan 3, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

CONGRATULATIONS joshcookie!

Jan 3, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL josh, and congrats!

Jan 4, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 
T.KULL Architect

here's one of mine

Jul 17, 23 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

D000d, 15 years old thread, and look at you, dropping someone else's stamp. You a bad, bad man.

Jul 18, 23 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

At the risk of feeding the troll bot, I kind of want to watch Krull now.

Jul 19, 23 9:40 am  · 
 · 

The font used on that stamp is extremely triggering

Jul 19, 23 10:53 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Here's an architect's stamp for you.

Not a Californian but a (North) Carolinian, the first African-American MIT graduate and pioneering architect in his own right.

Robert R. Taylor Limited Edition Forever Stamp, 2015 | MIT Black History

Jul 19, 23 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: