Archinect
anchor

So how bad is it to breathe in those glue fumes?

Chase Dammtor

So if the guy sitting 25 feet away from me in studio is using Zap-A-Gap (or any other nasty solvent for that matter: Zip Kicker, Tenax, benzin, etc), is it bad for me? The studio doesn't have great ventilation, but it's a big space. He's not using it irresponsibly, I don't think, but I can kind smell it a little bit. Are there any actual studies to show how bad this stuff is? I remember a long time ago I found the MSDS for Tenax and got pretty scared... so now all of the models I build are chipboard or basswood + Elmer's or Sobe. But what danger am I at from second hand fumes from the 80 other people in the same contiguous studio space???

Dec 3, 07 8:59 pm
holz.box

forget that, howsa bout the bosses mid day snack breath followed by SBD gaseous expulsions. that was a great work environment.

Dec 3, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

are you an infant, pregnant, do you fill gas in your car, wear a resp. mask in traffic, etc?
look at the bigger picture please

Dec 3, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

you'll be fine chase, i've inhaled far worse.

Let's sniff glue!

Dec 3, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

This guy turned out alright.

Glue sniffing starting at 0:58

Dec 3, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

breathing in masonite dust after a few hours of sanding w/o a mask was the most painful experience of my life. it honestly felt like my lungs were bleeding.

Dec 3, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

When I had a job as a fabricator of diorama sculpture, and worked with these materials in a professional capacity (read: they are legally obligated to protect worker safety) women of childbearing age were generally not permitted to work with these materials because they are known to cause birth defects and other health problems. They wouldn't let me near certain plastics even though I don't intend to breed. The regulations reflected the biological fact of women being born with all of our eggs (so if they go wonky, they are irreplaceable) whereas men are constantly regenerating sperm cells, and the employer not wanting to be held accountable for snakebabies with three heads. Certainly, anything with such strict regulations & ability to manipulate genetic code can't be very good for the men either. I believe it's Tenax that says right on the bottle that it is a known carcinogen. Apparently the glues themselves are bad but not TOO bad, but it's the accelerator that is most dangerous. Ask our shop monitors for specifics.

I remember my typography professor in college saying that one of his colleagues somehow died of super77 inhalation. He seemed serious but I don't have any confirmation of truth other than his word.

http://www.amazon.com/Artist-Beware-Updated-Revised-Craftsperson/dp/1592285929/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196751154&sr=8-1

Dec 4, 07 1:57 am  · 
 · 
binary

you'll be fine....

life goes on.......

.......(spoken words from a professional model builder)......

b

Dec 4, 07 2:04 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

What is this mask of which you speak? Ha.

Ever looked up your nose after using white spray paint for an extended amount of time? AWESOME! (Oh yeah, don't wear a mask for best effects).

Dec 4, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Bad, particularly if you have an allergic reaction to it. Google ingredients.

Dec 4, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
emaze

wait, don't most architect (students) smoke?

Dec 4, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

i had zap-a-gap, tacky glue, and rubber cement all in front of me the other day while working on my studio final project. i'm pretty sure i killed a few brain cells. i figure it's not as bad as when i used to spread bond-o on my (product design) models with my bare fingers.

Dec 4, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I think we should all start using Colonel Belmont's. I'm pretty sure there's nothing toxic there.

Dec 4, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: