Archinect
anchor

rhino to 3ds max? not every side renders

eightinchscale

Hi,
I'm exporting a rhino model as a dwg (also I've tried it as a dwf), surfaces and curves to polymesh. Once imported into studio max though, not all the surfaces render. For geometry as simple as a box or a wall, only two or three sides will render. By rotating the box or the wall, the other surfaces will appear while the previously rendered ones disappear.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? What's a way to fix this without having to rebuild any part of the rhino model? I'm using rhino 4 and studio max 8. Thank you for the help.

Nov 5, 07 8:43 pm
Philarch

I haven't had a good track record on Archinect on giving good advice recently, but I had a problem similar to yours that I fixed by turning on "Render Hidden Geometry" and/or "Force 2-Sided" under Common Parameters - Options. Hope this helps.

Nov 5, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Sounds like good advice to me. Force 2 sided should do it. You can also select 2-sided at the material level under "Basic Parameters".

Basically the surfaces have an up and a down side (called "normal")and by defualt max doesnt render the down side for example the inside of a cube. It's like a way of saving a bit of memory and rendering time, primarily I believe its for videogames where resources are limited and speed is important.

The problem when importing is the way other modeling programs build the model sometimes the downside is up. So in an extreme case you need to edit those faces at the sub object level and flip the normal. But in this case force 2 sided should be suffecient.

Nov 5, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

yep.. inverted normals hapens at lot when you move from Rhino nurbs to 3ds max subd modailities. force 2 sided is a quick fix, as psycho-mullet and Philarch suggest. It didn't work once for me on a complex landscape model though, and I needed to edit faces for an entire complex landscape model at sub obj... not fun. If force 2 sided doesn't work, let us know.. there's a few other slightly more involved fixes that may still be quicker than selected and editing each face.

Nov 5, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
French

It shouldn't happen if your orbject was already a closed surface, ie a solid in rhino, before you transform it into a mesh.

Nov 6, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

select the object

go to properties

click either the of the red polygon selection buttons

scroll down to flip faces or flip normals....

Nov 6, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: