Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

vcrx

@accesskb
harvard has agreement with a number of other institutions to favor access to their candiates. undergraduates from UVA and Princeton have a facilitated access in reason of the relationship harvard has to those schools. that's the nature of things in america. decisions, events, happenings come down to who can be trusted and the relationship of trust is usually established through money.

Mar 12, 13 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
w.a.harcho

Because

1) I like living in California.

2) I just got rejected and it makes me feel better.

3) $$$

If I truly never saw myself as an Ivy kind of guy I wouldn't have applied. 

Mar 12, 13 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@w.a.harcho

I was rejected at GSD and Yale, your results give me hope for Berkeley. What program and track did you apply for?

Mar 12, 13 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@w.a.harcho.. i see your point.. i'm also a Californian (born and raised).. i was just tired of being in cali and wanted to experience living in NYC

Mar 12, 13 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

Just got accepted by UVA M arch, its the only school I applied for

Mar 12, 13 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
observant

harvard has agreement with a number of other institutions to favor access to their candiates. undergraduates from UVA and Princeton have a facilitated access in reason of the relationship harvard has to those schools.

The Ivy Leagues love each other ... and Virginia.  My Dad's doctor was a Harvard u.g. and UVa MD.  I've always sensed a connection.  The UVa campus even LOOKS like an Ivy League school.

Mar 12, 13 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

observant

I think they stay close so that they remain the top ranked schools right?

Mar 12, 13 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Teddy_Gustafson

Accepted: 

University of Virginia (2.5 Years), University of Oregon (2 Years), University of Washington (2.5 Years), University of Minnesota (2 Years), University of California Berkeley (2 Years)

Rejected: Harvard (GSD), Yale, Rice

Wait-listed: University of Michigan (2 Years)

Haven't heard from: Ball State University (2 Years)

Male, Age 22, Undergrad at University of Minnesota. Bachelor of Science in Architecture, Minor in Construction Management, Landscape Design and Urban Planning. McNair Scholar. 

Mar 12, 13 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

it is the feeling of uncertainty that caused anxiety during this entire period.  So it feels good to have a conclusion. I really wanted to see if they would actually admit anyone else or the "we are still processing" was a blatant lie. (thats kind of inconsiderate.

and for me, i never really saw myself as a harvard student since im against "starchitecture."  I was also very wary of the hardcore studio keenness, cut-throat competitiveness, and ego-factor of the school creating a counter-productive environment. I reckon a GSD acceptance would have been hard to turn down due to parental pressure and the brand name itself.. its that versus what i think is good for me...

thats why it comes as a relief i don have to consider the scenario anymore

Mar 12, 13 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@sensation and w.a.harcho

Me too! Lived in Cali most of my life, and want to experience NYC, but only temporarily. I can't stand the cold! I want to go to the east for college b/c I know I can always come back to cali =]

Mar 12, 13 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Philarct - they love to call UVa a "Public Ivy."  Yeah, they keep each other "in check."

Teddy's results up above (wait list at Mich) and accepted at others are mind-boggling.

Mar 12, 13 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Alan D

hello all, fellow admits, rejects, and those STIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL waiting...

I have been reading along since the beginning but only setting up an account now that I have some news to add...

IN: UCLA (call on feb 15th!), UW seattle (email Sunday night, same as others), UC Berkeley (email yesterday!)

OUT: GSD (minutes ago)

WAITING: Princeton, GSAAP

All M.Arch with AP specifically when available as separate app. (GSD), will try for AP with others.

I am currently a BA Arch transfer student at UC Berkeley and it has been my first choice, so stoked on that! But hearing from UCLA so early than the wait for the others was torture... the GSD rejection was a sigh of relief. Applying to the Ivies was a reach as I would only be able to go (read "afford") two years with great scholarship/grant as I have a wife and two kids. More just "to know" rather than an actual option, we'll see if GSAPP and Princeton come through though.

can post relevant info for future applicants later(GRE, GPA, portfolio). Should that be here or in another thread?

-Alan

Mar 12, 13 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

ok hold on.....I've never heard of the Wait listed decision,

I imagine that would be incredibly frustrating, Congrats tho Teddy! those

results are fantastic

Mar 12, 13 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

These results really have me second guessing the feasibility of the process. I have been rejected at rice cornell Yale harvard and etc. But I have been accepted to gsapp? I am wondering now how selective gsapp is and how in the world it is going to be financially feasible with over 100k in debt even with the scholarship I got.. I have called Columbia and they don't seem to give me data on loan repayments. This is really important for me because I have no money.

Mar 12, 13 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

Do you guys think that whoever didn't hear from Berkeley (M.Arch) yesterday, is probably wait listed? Anyone still waiting to hear from them?

Mar 12, 13 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
weissleim

@IBS101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTZDehlO2k

Mar 12, 13 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

I think relevant info for future applicants should be in a new thread so they don't have to sift through 1000+ posts of our terrible anxiety and exclamations.

Final results for me:

In: Princeton (M. Arch II), GSAPP (MSAAD)

Waitlisted: Yale (M. Arch II)

Out: GSD (M. Arch II), MIT (Media Lab - was expected, only non-arch program I applied to)

I am waiting to hear what the financial package from Princeton is, but I've heard they are generous so I'm looking forward to it.  GSAPP gave me nothing so they are probably a no.  I am really excited about Princeton and hopefully looking to head there in the fall.  

Also found it interesting/amusing/curious that Princeton is such a small program and I was admitted there over the larger programs at Yale and GSD.  Not hugely upset, happy I was accepted to one of those three, but found it odd.  

Happy that everyone is getting back early enough to allow for me to make plans for the summer and get organized, looking forward to my B. Arch graduation this May.

Mar 12, 13 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
weissleim

@tyler_hopf : wow congrats on princeton and gsapp!!! 

how did you get princeton's notification? AZP called?

Mar 12, 13 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
nisha_1123

http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/researchschool4.html

Ranking of architectural schools

how reliable is ranking ? anyone?

Mar 12, 13 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
kem422

Does anyone have any suggestions/ insight about Michigan vs. UCLA vs. SCI-Arc? I was accepted at all 3 and haven't made up my mind yet.

Mar 12, 13 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

@weissleim Thanks! I appreciate it! 

And yup, AZP called/his secretary did.  We have actually been playing phone tag, more talking tomorrow.  I was lucky enough to have dinner with him and a few of my professors after he lectured at my school before I applied, so its nice to have it come full circle.

Mar 12, 13 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
observant

how reliable is ranking ? anyone?

Total crock of shit.  Look at how many "stable" schools get 2 votes, 1 vote or even 0 votes. 

Mar 12, 13 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@nisha

I got this from the website:

"What we counted to arrive at our scores

We went to the two greatest architecture libraries in the English-speaking world: the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) British Architectural Library in the UK; and the Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals at the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University in the USA. If you are going to find architectural research anywhere, you will find it here.
For each academic, we counted his or her references in the two vast library databases each institution maintains. This gave a research score for each person.
We used these scores to calculate the median research score for each school. That is, the typical research score of an academic at that school.
We also calculated the percentage of staff at each school who are in the top quartile (top 25%) of global performers. By definition, one-quarter of a typical school's staff will fall into this category. You may want to use both measures to assess schools."

So the ranking pretty much measures how many research publications in average per professor you have in each university. The more research publications professors at schools publish, the higher it will be on the ranking. If the information is accurate on the ranking I think it is a good way to understand what university MIGHT focus more on architectural research and publications... However, I don't think it measures what university is better or not, or in what field,  just which one publishes more research papers. Quantity over quantity as well. 

Mar 12, 13 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
ChineseMarco

rejected for MARCH II at GSD.  congrats to the people who made it and for the people who didnt, there's always next year!

Mar 12, 13 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
hbassal

does the "next year" bit ever work? i mean how would you even know what you should be improving on?

Mar 3, 20 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Teddy_Gustafson

@observant

"Teddy's results up above (wait list at Mich) and accepted at others are mind-boggling."

I agree they are a little mind boggling. I was pretty blown away to get accepted at Berkeley and Virginia. And pretty surprised to get wait-listed as Michigan,  because my strongest recommender was a former Michigan Alumni/Professor and because of their high acceptance rate. I think it might be because of my GPA (3.4) or my average GRE scores. 

Mar 12, 13 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
TnArch101

@weissleim

Yes, that was the problem wasn't it? Alejandro never gave her a call

but if Princeton drags the rejections out like the GSD did I think it could be classify as some sort of violation of human rights. I mean for goodness sake give me a NO on anything, on a post-it even

Mar 12, 13 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
TnArch101

And congrats to everyone! This broad is full of super bright people going everywhere. I've been reading back a few pages and it's amazing the range and diversity of schools and talents on here.    

Mar 12, 13 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

@tyler hopf

I'm surprised you didn't get into the GSD! saw your works before, and i knew that you're one of the top contender for the application process... dont worry I got rejected from Princeton last year... congrats on the acceptances! i'm a fan of your work!

Mar 12, 13 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

@mk224 did you get accepted sci arc march 1?

and it seems like you are going towards all the parametric schools since ucla , michigan and sci arc all are in the top of the chart when it comes to technology

Mar 12, 13 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
weissleim

@IBS101: i think your lady gaga reference is brilliant. haha. some how am finding comfort in her words today.. totally agree with you man haha. i'm waiting for princeton too ackkk.

@tyler hopf: wow! what's this phone tag. would love to hear more about it haha. is your portfolio that @Lief Estrada mentioned floating around anywhere on the web? would love to take a look. 

Mar 12, 13 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

@mtt9999:

ok, guess that make sense but weird... i just graduated last year and really broke... lol... anyway, hoping to meet you personally, at the open house (maybe)... Beer and Dogs at the GSD!

Mar 12, 13 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
weissleim

@tyler hopf: ah i see your portfolio on your profile page. wow great work! those bigass models look amazing. 

Mar 12, 13 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

@leif
Thanks! I appreciate the comments, your work is extremely impressive as well.  Congrats on 40k at Harvard! exciting to hear of everyone's successes.

@weissleim
Haha the phone tag - basically the secretary called me and I couldnt pick up, I called her back and she couldnt pick up.  I called back again and she could pick up but AZP was in a meeting etc. etc. Its comical in an odd way.

Anyway, portfolio, sure! 
pdf: 
http://issuu.com/tylerhopf/docs/portfolio
http://tylerhopf.com/

Also to note - advantages I had at princeton - I worked for Liz Diller, TAed for an alumna, as well as talked about the program with Alejandro beforehand. 

Mar 12, 13 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
nocturne

@tylerhopf

Congrats on Princeton! your work looks great!

I got a call from the secretary too on Monday but no call back since, am I supposed to call them back?  She didn't say much other than repeating over and over not to answer if I'm in a bad place...haha  sounds like I'll be in for some phone tag...

Mar 12, 13 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
piaoL

I just got rejected by Cornell

first one, heart breaker!

Mar 12, 13 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
piaoL

anyone else heard back from Cornell?

Mar 12, 13 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
kem422

@tomahawks619

Ya, SCI-Arc M.Arch 1

Mar 12, 13 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

If gradcafe was a stock market, then today must be the end of the global financial world... Too many deadly red "REJECTED" already...

Mar 12, 13 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
dkaz

I gather from the experience of Cornell & GSD that if you don't receive the result in the first place, there are only two possibilities: rejected or wait-listed. Don't believe in the "we're still processing so keep faith" crap...

Mar 12, 13 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@dkaz

You're absolutely right !  The same thing is happening with Berkeley...

Mar 12, 13 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
piaoL

@ dkaz

exactly... I'm waiting for all my results and I guess I will screw up them all...  

Mar 12, 13 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@rrnkenshin & dkaz

I checked on gradcafe and on previous years it seems berkeley doesnt send all notices at the same time. The admission offers seem to be sent over a few days. 

Mar 12, 13 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
chadhdiep

In: ASU, UCLA, UO

Waiting: GSAPP, MIT, and Berkeley.

Was really hoping to get into Berkeley but doesn't seem like any more acceptances have been coming out...pretty happy with UCLA though :]

Mar 12, 13 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
dkaz

Just think this way: the number of admitted students must be set in the beginning. There is no way they divide the applicants into daily groups and "process" admissions day by day right?

@juventus7

dont know about Berkeley. But still...lets just hope for the best & prepare for the worst.

Mar 12, 13 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
piaoL

i still have a cooper union which wont reply back until the beginning of April,

so fingers crossed.... 

Mar 12, 13 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
znapz

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted!!  

my final results for M.Arch II:

In: YSOA, Princeton, GSD, UCLA+$, Cornell+$, AA (DRL), Bartlett UCL (M.Arch)

I'm totally sure I'm turning down Cornell for those of you on the wait-list, have hope!  Great program just not a good fit for me

Good luck!

Mar 12, 13 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

for those who accepted GSAPP MS.AAD offer..

join this thread --> http://archinect.com/forum/thread/69163565/ms-aad-graduates-candidates-and-prospective-students-lets-chat

Mar 13, 13 12:16 am  · 
 · 
gameboy

@znapz 

you got all those schools? i don't believe you, portfolio/resume?

Mar 13, 13 12:53 am  · 
 · 
ctlaltdel

@piaoL

Heard from Cornell this morning.  I'm on the waitlist. And that does it for me. The final results are:

IN: GSAPP / UCLA(+$) / Michigan

Waitlisted: Cornell, Rice

OUT: GSD

Now for some careful consideration.  Please opine: How do you think GSAPP and UCLA compare?  Financially, UCLA is much more feasible for me, but I'm wondering if Columbia holds the promise of a better position right out of school?  Not a bad conundrum to be in, regardless.

Mar 13, 13 1:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: