Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

kiana-hosseini

@nisha123

That ranking is only based on "research performance" and there are definitely a lot more important factors to consider in an architecture school. 

I think this one is better, at least the order seems more legit:

http://www.archdaily.com/295331/2013-united-states-best-architecture-schools/

Mar 13, 13 2:45 am  · 
 · 
ctlaltdel

Really?  SCAD?

Mar 13, 13 3:38 am  · 
 · 
ctlaltdel

I didn't know they had an architecture program at all, and I grew up in Georgia.

Mar 13, 13 3:38 am  · 
 · 
Garam Hann

I've been following this thread like forever (as someone mentioned before: there are so many talented people here!) and thought I should add something to it. These few weeks have been truly excruciating for all of us... but here's my results so far. And also congrats to everyone who got admissions! 

IN: GSAPP / UC Berkeley (wait-listed for STUDIO 1)

OUT: GSD, YSOA

Waiting for other schools (MIT, Princeton, Cornell) but I'm thinking my chances are quite slim. Right now I'm just excited but worried about GSAPP. I'm an international applicant therefore NO scholarships. Really frustrating. 

Mar 13, 13 5:35 am  · 
 · 

Also just notice Archinect added 'follow' buttons to all the profiles. we should follow to keep in touch since everyone is headed in different directions!

Mar 13, 13 9:06 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@tyler hopf

I've just visited your archinect profile to "follow" you and was totally stunned by your resume (and your portfolio, of course). You're awesome man!

I note that you also have a bachelor degree in psychology. That's interesting! Could you share whether what you learned in psychology inform your designs or affect your architectural thinking?

Mar 13, 13 9:21 am  · 
 · 
mtt9999

Did anyone else apply to Cooper Union MArch II - There are some MArch II people posting here, but other than me I have heard no one mention it. Why? Why not?

Observant any thoughts?

Thought I would mention because their application website has been 'undergoing maintenance' on and off over the last few days... thinking they might be updating the applications for the big news 'flood gate'...

Mar 13, 13 9:26 am  · 
 · 
littlefred

Not happy with your options for Fall 2013? Interested in the best value in graduate professional architectural education in the Greater Connecticut/New York/New Jersey/Philadephia region?

Consider applying to NJIT's College of Architecture & Design for Fall 2013. Domestic applicants who file their applications by April 1 are still eligible for fellowship support, prior architecture degree holders are also eligible for assistantship support which covers 25% of tuition or more.

Queries welcome: little (at) njit.edu

design.njit.edu

Mar 13, 13 10:42 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

Did anybody receive Berkeley's rejection yet?

Mar 13, 13 11:17 am  · 
 · 
j.maher

Are we sure all acceptances for Berkeley are definitely out?

Mar 13, 13 11:42 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

I don't know, that's why asked whether rejections are coming out yet. If rejections are coming out, then probably there would be no more acceptances... At least that's what I learned from Rice and WUSTL's rejections.

Mar 13, 13 11:45 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

Waiting on Pratt,  but what do you guys think between:

IIT (2yr AP)   WUSTL (3 yr) or Pratt Institute ?

Mar 13, 13 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
observant

mtt9999 - know nothing about NYC area schools except for Columbia.  Visited while staying with my uncle, but it was expensive and I wouldn't have gotten in.  The only other a-schools I've physically seen in the area were Yale and Syracuse (upstate), though this was after finishing my studies.

Mar 13, 13 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
SuperTenacious

I'm in at UO, Northeastern, and UH for M.Arch II programs, alright! Still waiting on Pratt but at this point I don't really care.

I am in a bit of a toss up between Oregon (in Eugene ) vs Northeastern. Both are extremely intriguing programs and I'm weighing closer to Oregon. Would anyone happen to have any feedback,thoughts, or experiences from a school visit regarding the two?

Mar 13, 13 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

when is MIT coming? :(

Mar 13, 13 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

This is the slowest week everrrrrrrrr

Mar 13, 13 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

@rrnkenshin

Thanks so much! That is great to hear.

And I'm glad you noticed that! Im not sure if people see that or if anyone noticed it on my application, but I was hoping they would.  It has a huge influence on my design, my process and my intentions for the future.  While the conversation of linking the two is a very long discussion Id be happy to have outside of this thread, for now I will say that psychology is simply about studying the effects of architecture (not just buildings but environments) and architecture is simply about designing psychology (behavior, emotion, cognition etc.).  To really mess things up, my psychology thesis is more architectural than my architecture thesis and my architecture thesis is more psychological than my psychology thesis.

Mar 13, 13 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
yyymmm

Just got a call from MIT, I'm IN! Good luck everyone!

M. Arch 1 BTW

Mar 13, 13 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
caryatid

@helenekeys

!!! Just got an email from MIT - accepted! Don't know about aid yet, but YES! First choice, hopefully my scholarship is good, I adore their program and mentality :)

Btw, saw your post in another thread, I'm liking your general approach to architecture.

Mar 13, 13 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
strangefires

UBC letters are in the mail!

IN: UBC M.arch 1

Waiting: University of Toronto

Mar 13, 13 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
arquito

@calamist what program did you apply to at MIT?

Mar 13, 13 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

which post :O???

just got home.... no phone call!!!! so im out i guess? :(... altho im international. this is the one rejection that hurts :(... i thought i was a good fit for MIT

no emails???

Mar 13, 13 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
cagt

@strangefires

has anything changed on your online application page?

Mar 13, 13 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Dima Srouji

@helenakeys I haven't heard anything from MIT either. There's only four acceptances on gradcafe so far. :(

Mar 13, 13 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
samtous

So, I received a missed call from a 617 number, and wondered if that was from somewhere in the states (I live in Canada). I called it back and Nader Tehrani (Dean at MIT) answers it to my amazement! I was standing inside a bus stop on a noisy street next to some random joe. Was delighted to hear that I'm welcome at MIT for my MArch 1 next year, as well as an open house in early April. He told me to expect an admissions package in the mail soon. He couldn't tell me on the spot if I managed to get the AP, as he was not at his desk, but warned me that there are few that do receive it.

So dumbfounded right now! 

IN: Michigan, Columbia, MIT

OUT: GSD

Waiting on: Princeton, UoT

Congrats to all the GSDers that made it in, and good luck to all of those still waiting on more acceptances!

Mar 13, 13 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
caryatid

@arquito

MArch 1. I think some people also got responses for their Media Lab and Urban Planning programs though.

@helenakeys

"I fully support a more STEM approach to architecture where logic trumps emotional discourse.  In the changing face of the profession i think that is the future."

I mean, that portrayal of the state of architecture lacks nuance, but how much can you do in one sentence, eh? Replace 'logic' with 'empiricism' and that's more or less my outlook :P

Mar 13, 13 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
piaoL

@ ctlaltdel 

congrats! happy for you!

Mar 13, 13 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
piaoL

@ mtt9999 

I'm applying to architecture transfer in Cooper Union,

I guess they are releasing their outcome in the coming few days for the master program...

good luck!

Mar 13, 13 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
L.L.T.

I got in GSD-MDesS-Technology  /  SCI-ArcESTm

Waiting for MIT -SMArchS !!

Mar 13, 13 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Noypi

Yo, did anybody got financial aid info from UMN or UO?

Cause these acceptance letters are kinda useless without funding lol

Mar 13, 13 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Does anyone know where UPenn's decisions are going to be posted tomorrow?

Mar 13, 13 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

^ I believe they'll be posted on the application account. A link will appear at 12 pm EST

Mar 13, 13 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Thanks j.maher

Mar 13, 13 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
anjp

Hi, I am new to this forum... read all your comments. Just needed some help . I had applied for the Master of Urban Design programs in US (I'm an international applicant) , So far I got 1 acceptance (Carnegie Mellon University)... still awaiting the others. I already accepted the offer at Carnegie since the last date is 15th March and others haven't replied yet.

Can anyone enlighten me more about the MUD course at Carnegie and also about the university ?

Mar 14, 13 12:40 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@calamist

ahhh... i guess thats a counter-reaction to my undergrad which i perceive is more of the  traditional approach to design based on phenomenology, artistic/creative impulses and ideas, metaphorical imagery, etc. I feel that in most cases it opens the door to the manipulation of design narrative into something totally unrelated to reality, almost subverting reality to fit our own narratives/purposes. (aka I was tired of all the BS lol) Thats why i favor a purging of subjectivity and endorse a more methodical, researched, logical, "empirical" approach to design.... 

----

so i guess the admission cycle is over for me.  I was 65% Yale, 35% MIT... now that its no longer an option, Yale it is! at least both schools are still pretty close :)

im suuuuuuuupperr excited for this Fall... specially since i was mentally preparing to re-apply as I did not expect to get admitted this time around... i had "purged" almost all my (BS) academic work and replaced it with independent projects i managed to put together this past roller coaster 7 months... i am still shocked, heading to the States :D!!!!

Mar 14, 13 1:17 am  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

@SuperTenacious, how recently did you hear from UO? Also, have you considered UO but in Portland? If you had to, you can take classes at both locations. Bit of a stretch but I have heard it's done.

Anyone hear from UO RE: fin. aid.?

Mar 14, 13 3:01 am  · 
 · 
kiana-hosseini

@helenakeys

Did you apply to the M.Arch 1 program at Yale or M.Arch2?

Mar 14, 13 3:22 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@tyler hopf

That's just great man, I look forward to learning new things from your future works. It's a great pleasure to meet you and other talented people around here. I can feel that my graduate studies started here already. This is the best forum I've ever been a member of.

Congrats on your admirable admission results!

Mar 14, 13 6:03 am  · 
 · 
SuperTenacious

@nycdesigns

I heard back early this week, Tuesday I believe via e-mail. I actually didn't consider the Portland program thinking that I would have a better chance of getting accepted into the Eugene program. I've heard you can apply to the Portland program after a semester (or year?) at Eugene, but don't quote me on that. No news on fin. aid either, I think that's early April so I read on their site. Good luck!

Mar 14, 13 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Cizz

@supertenacious

Hey Im also admitted at Eugene/ no financials yet either, are you going to open house april 8?

Mar 14, 13 10:13 am  · 
 · 
piaoL

upenn.... the waiting kills me

Mar 14, 13 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

Crazy !! I have started waking up at  midnight with some bad non acceptance dream and then eventually go about checking mail. Fish~!

Few more days of waiting and I will go completely insane !! Zombie!

Mar 14, 13 10:42 am  · 
 · 
clack

For people who didn't get financial aid with their acceptance.... I think in many cases it means they don't offer any grants.  I was surprised that for 2 of the state schools I applied to, they just don't offer any grants to grad students who are non residents.  Not sure if they give any to residents.  If you didn't get any info, you should call the financial aid office to see what their policy is.  There are often scholarships and TA positions in the second year,

Mar 14, 13 10:44 am  · 
 · 
piaoL

@architintin

totally! I started checking the website this Monday... anxious and nervous, I hate doing school applications...

Mar 14, 13 10:46 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@kioola

MArch I, you?

Mar 14, 13 11:03 am  · 
 · 
sandhilldesign

@L.L.T.

If you accept GSD MDesS Tech let me know. Its nice to hear others accepted into the same program!

Mar 14, 13 11:12 am  · 
 · 
arquito

any MIT- SMArchS admitted or rejected yet?

Mar 14, 13 11:28 am  · 
 · 
nitendo2046

@arquito

there has already been one on Gradcafe.com. But I`m not convinced that all the decisions have been made yet.

Mar 14, 13 11:43 am  · 
 · 
arquito

there is still hope then!

Mar 14, 13 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Got into UPENN!

Mar 14, 13 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: