Archinect
anchor

Glass Columns?

Jan 30 '13 10 Last Comment
psteiner
Jan 30, 13 7:50 pm

Hi everyone - I am trying to track down an image I saw not too many years ago (2-4) of a really nice structural glass column - very Mies, very modern.  For the life of me I cannot find anything online - I keep finding classical columns shaped in glass...not what I am looking for at all.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  The image I remember in my head was a detail shot of the floor connection.

Thanks for any leads!

FRaC
Jan 30, 13 8:02 pm

danteum by giuseppe terragni

backbay
Jan 30, 13 8:04 pm

don't know much on the subject, but i remember watching a presentation given by an engineer... seems like the thing to do is contact a structural glass/glazing engineering company and have them figure something out.  i don't think you can just walk into home depot and buy a column.

found these:  

http://www.mlde.co.uk/glass-engineering.html

http://www.eckersleyocallaghan.com/

^5th avenu apple store engineer

ka em
Jan 30, 13 9:08 pm

If you are trying to achieve what FRaC is showing, it can be done by just cladding the column with mirror.

I would be curious as well if what you want is actual structural thin (MIesian) column.

b3tadine[sutures]
Jan 30, 13 10:14 pm

psteiner, i kept thinking Robert Irwin, but the column is a singular piece...

FRaC
Jan 30, 13 10:32 pm

b3ta, psteiner said '.. a ... glass column ..'.  maybe it is robert irwin?:

and Kamil, i respectfully disagree that cladding with mirror will achieve the same effect as in terragni's glass columns.  though i do like rem's reflective column at maison bordeaux and its little shout out to p.j.'s glass house ..

b3tadine[sutures]
Jan 30, 13 10:50 pm

yeah, FRac, that's the one i was thinking of, i just couldn't find the right image. i read the book about him and his work, and personality, just continues to stick with me.

psteiner
Jan 31, 13 5:57 pm

Thanks for the leads everyone, getting warmer but still on the hunt, these suggestions give some directions to look at though.

ka em
Feb 1, 13 3:26 am

FRaC, yes you're correct cladding won't create the effect perfectly, due to joins and whatnot.

mespellrong
Feb 1, 13 7:37 am

There is a good book on glass engineering with some column details they attribute to OMA.

J. James R.J. James R.
Feb 1, 13 8:32 am

I don't know if you could color match it perfectly but couldn't this be achieved by filling or sandwiching a glass tube(s) (1/4" to 1" thick) with clear resin? That would cut down on weight and give the column the ability to withstand some shear force.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading