Archinect
anchor

How important is the prestige of an MLA Graduate program when hiring?

Zola Vighi

I'm in the process of researching First Professional MLA programs. I have a BFA in Sculpture. I spent four years interning in an architecture firm right out of high school. This internship experience helped me to see how the design process works in a corporate setting, but it seemed like everyone who worked in the firm came from Ball State. This didn't really give me a sense of what is important to look for when searching for an MLA program.

I have a strong background in design and a strong aesthetic sense. I hope to choose a program that is studio based, and affords opportunities to intern or work on public projects. I'll happily work like a dog so that I can come out prepared with a portfolio that speaks to my skills. However, I find myself wondering how far the strengths in a portfolio will take me, versus how much my graduate program will factor into a hiring decision. Does the prestige of a program really count when hiring a landscape architect? It seems reasonable to have brand recognition as a part of my decision making process.

I was intrigued by the program description at University of Oregon. I like the concept of balancing professionalism with liberal arts, and I am especially intrigued by the focus on sustainable design and interdisciplinary studies. However, I don't find anything convincing or compelling about the reputation of the school. Should I be worried? Other schools I'm considering: RISD, VCU, Cal Poly.

My husband is also going back to graduate school for an MFA, so cost is a very real factor, as is choosing a school that would have a MFA Sculpture program (we are willing to geographically split, but it's not ideal). I expect that when we are both employed we'll eventually be able to pay off the investment in our education, but I don't want to be shackled to my debt until I retire.

If you have advice, I'd like help organizing an outline of whats important to consider in an MLA I program. I'm preparing to make as many contacts as I can. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Jan 10, 13 1:07 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: