Archinect
anchor

Construction Management or Architecture?

Nov 26 '12 3 Last Comment
arivas208
Nov 26, 12 12:45 am

I am about 30 credits away from receiving a BS in construction management. I also has an AS in drafting and design. I have 5  years of construction experience as well as 3 years of working as an architectural drafter. I have an interest in architecture even though construction management wages are higher. How would architectural firms view my resume and experience compared to a graduate from an architecture program? Would they even consider me over one of these graduates? Are architecture wages really that low that I would later regret not getting into construction management? Comments? 

LITS4FormZ
Nov 26, 12 5:03 pm

You find a lot of architects wishing they had gotten into construction management. Can't say I know too many in const. mgmt. that wish they were architects. 

Work for a design-build firm and you'll figure out which path is for you.  

chris-chitect
Nov 26, 12 6:30 pm

I'd stay with construction management. I've posted here a few times about making the move. I'm working with the federal government in Canada on housing construction and it's well worth the move.

The work is a little dry, but the wages are much much better, the work is stable and the work life balance couldn't be better.

Design-Build may be an option, or eventually working for a developer which would allow you to see all spects from urban planning, design, construction and a bit of business.

cmrhm
Nov 26, 12 9:54 pm

you guys might not know that the architects can play a much bigger role in real estate firms than they work in regular architecture firms.

I have this impression after i notices so many developments happened in china. I believe working in architecture firm will provide the basic training for all the other fields. So I suggestion to the poster is to work in architecture firm first, after 3-5 years, you are free to move to other fields like construction.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading