Archinect
anchor

Maisons Jaoul, Le Corbusier

leeque

hey folks...

for this summer intensive architecture course i'm working on Maisons Jaoul by Corbusier and was wondering if anyone knew of good resources for plans/pictures/video clips of the space?

thanks so much!

Jul 11, 07 11:26 am
KEG

I actually think the Michael Graves book, Le Corbusier: Selected Drawings has plans, sections, elevations of Maison Jaoul

Jul 11, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
leeque

thank you guys so much!

i'm also on a time crunch so.. i guess specifically something i could find at the parsons, cooper union or nyu library or online?

Jul 11, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 

most design school librarians have probably helped with this search at least 1000 times. any of the libraries mentioned should have about 2 to 3 feet of shelf space dedicated to le corbusier. do you have time to go the library? where's your program?

Jul 11, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
leeque

i could probably go during lunch break. i'm at parsons.

Jul 11, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
KEG

ummm....I'm sure each has their catalog online...look it up maybe?

google Maison Jaoul drawings or plans?

Jul 11, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 

not meaning to be not helpful, but it would be better for you to be able to flip through them and really see what's in the book. good luck.

Jul 11, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
leeque

yeah i agree. i'm gonna head to the library now.
thanks you guys.

Jul 11, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

err...I meant look at their online catalog so that you could see who had what books and then go and get them. I don't really know what leeque wants us to do...I mean we gave title names...

I agree w/ Steven that a librarian will be very familiar with where to find it because you're probably the 100oth student looking for the same info. I always got the best direction from librarians and Arch/Art book stores. I'm sure NYC has some great Arch book stores.

We have Hennessy & Ingalls in LA...every time I go in there looking for a tiny mention of the most obscure project- they know exactly where to direct me... you have to have a similar bookstore near you...no?

Jul 11, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

It's a little tricky finding stuff on that small house, so I broke in through the gate and took my own picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopher-parkes/217370433/in/set-72157594240314809/

Jul 11, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
aml

sparks, you broke in! you're my hero! i did not break in, so my pics have the nasty fence in them... damn you, lord & lady palumbo, collectors of architecture, damn you!

Jul 11, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

that tiny book by Taschen on Corb is pretty good. Sections, elevations and what not! Worth a look see

Jul 11, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

haha! I think the servant kicked me out...and she kept asking how I got in!

Jul 11, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
aml

[and i hate encouraging this type of posts, but i can't help myself]

just go look at geoffrey baker's ""le corbusier: an analysis of form

Jul 11, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

geoffrey baker was a wonderful professor and that's a great book! his approach to painstaking formal analysis is something in which all undergrads should get a grounding. not sure it happens, though.

Jul 11, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
aml

steven, was baker your prof? i'm jealous! i heart that book.

i didn't know who baker was, just bought the book in undergrad because i liked the diagrams. then a prof at gatech found it, all dog-eared and obviously very well used, in spanish, on my desk. he jumped about 50cm in the air- "that is geoffrey baker... in spanish!!" er yes...

Jul 11, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

yes i had baker in undergrad. we had already been introduced to 'analysis of form' (the first one, not the corb one) in 1st yr. he came to tulane when we were in 2nd yr. i never had him for studio, but i did take his 'analysis of form' class, during which we each had to pick a building to analyze as rigorously as his pieces. and some of us got to work on the corb book in work/study.

he openly admitted to borrowing his approach to analysis from eisenman's thesis. or at least that was his starting point. he learned a lot from ching books, too, apparently; his diagramming and explanation is so crystal clear.

i don't think this kind of formal analysis is be/all/end/all, obviously. some people will get totally wrapped up in formal manipulation and lose sight of more impt things. but i bet if students had more grounding in this kind of analysis we'd be seeing more meaningful forms than i've been seeing in a lot of student work lately.

Jul 12, 07 7:20 am  · 
 · 
simples

on a side note, i was wondering the other day, how long it would take for libraries to become a mere symbolic public space, no longer functionally linked to information/book/wisdom gathering...(since, now, information flows freely through your fingertips via a mouse)

when I see that archinect is used for research by a student prior to a campus library visit, i think maybe that day is already here....

leeque...i am curious, did the trip to the library help?

Jul 12, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: